Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Adventures down under (so far!)

Adventures down under (so far!)

Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adventures down under (so far!)

Great read
Welcome to Australia
Old Aug 31st 2011, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so we're 8 months in and I'm avoiding work for a bit, so.........

Everything has been very much as we expected. We'd visited many times, knew the area, moved into our own house (which had been planned ad nauseum), no real surprises. Having lived abroad for 14 years we''ve got used to the home-sickness thing and, having lived in Singapore, things (except bananas!) are cheaper and the drivers a lot saner.

Life is very pleasant. I've met some lovely people (and some rather odd ones), son is settled at Kindy and making lots of friends, the school Mums are really friendly, day-to-day life is great. I've loads of freelance work (from contacts outside Oz) so thoroughly occupied when Mini's at school.

Only downside in the first 6 months is that my husband was abroad a lot on business. He found that hard to deal with, wanting to get settled here, but his travel is much less now, and he's starting to make contact with people. It's quite hard for him in a way as he works mainly from home, but he's joined a tennis club and and is pursuing a few other interests, so he'll get there.

We've been back to the UK twice in 8 months (which is, obviously, expensive). Our trip in August (just got back) was planned, as it was my parents' Golden Wedding. Mini and I also had an unplanned trip in April as my Mum fell and was in a bad way.

And that's the major downside. My Mum has osteoporosis and several broken vertebrae. She varies from constant pain to constant agony, is pretty much immobile, and my Dad is very stressed having to look after her. She was OK most of the time we were home, but was pretty bad the final week. It was very hard to leave them, and I'm struggling a bit with it now. But if we lived in the UK we might not have jobs, if we did we'd likely live at the other end of the country anyway, and we think Oz is the best place for Mini's future. Luckily my parents are very supportive and want us to be here, but it's hard.

So that's it. Life's not perfect (whose life is?) but it's pretty good. For me same shit, but I really like this bucket.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:30 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot the best bit - you got to see me again

I think Mr Fo3 is where The Geek was at when we were in Singapore - he spent so much time out of the country he didn't really have a social life, and most friends he had were people I'd met. Lovely as they were I'm sure Mr Fo3 is happy enough just to have his family here and happy, so let him make friends naturally and not force it.

Mum's health worries aside, it seems to me you settled in very quickly, appreciate living here and, if there comes a time when you don't, will just get on with sorting that out.

Right attitude, for sure. xxx
Old Aug 31st 2011, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I did say I'd met some lovely people and some odd ones - you'll just have to work out which you are
Old Sep 1st 2011, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Love the update- welcome to Australia.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 12:38 pm
from Bonnie Scotand

jules22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi family of 3 - really enjoyed reading your post - we've been here just 8 weeks and I can so relate to so many of the things you have written about!!! It made me smile. It's early days for us but I hope I am going to love it as much as you obviously do!!! As long as I can get past the amount of spiders I encounter on a daily basis lol!

Julie

PS If your book clubs still running give me a shout as I'd love to meet up with some people.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Julie

I see you've caught up with on the other thread, so we should meet you soon.

Wow, it's a year tomorrow since we arrived. Frighteningly busy with work and family, so anniversary update will have to wait for a bit.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 4:22 pm
Moving to Adelaide May'12

CarlyChalk is just really niceCarlyChalk is just really niceCarlyChalk is just really niceCarlyChalk is just really niceCarlyChalk is just really niceCarlyChalk is just really niceCarlyChalk is just really niceCarlyChalk is just really nice

Absolutely LOVED reading this. It has made me soooooo excited for my move. Thank you for brightening up my miserable afternoon I hope you are still as happy one year on!

xx
Old Jan 28th 2012, 10:57 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely awesome! Brought back some not so fond memories for me!
Excellent update look forward to hearing more soon
J x