Two years in Adelaide

Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:47 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Two years in Adelaide

Yes, we've reached our second anniversary already!

For those who've just joined us, the story so far...

And now, on with the show!

Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:40 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Two years in Adelaide

Well, here we are. Mrs Stampede & I will be celebrating our 6th wedding anniversary on Friday night and today marks our second year in Adelaide. It's gone pretty fast!

I'm currently studying full time (Bachelor of Theology, major in church history; looking to do Masters in future). Mrs Stampede was a teacher for >10 years in the UK and has recently registered as a teacher in Australia, but remains a stay at home mum for now.

Our daughter ('Pup') is 2.5 years old and looking sweeter by the day. Our son ('Wibbly Pig') is turning 1 year old next month; if he keeps growing at the current rate he'll end up bigger and stronger than his old man.

Pup:

Wibbly Pig:

Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:41 am
Fighting my corner

Our garden has come a long way since I started to get serious about it.

Fighting my corner

After a savage battle I succeeded in taming the grapevine, and have now trained it to grow a shady screen covering the back porch. I've also planted two cuttings below the screen so they'll grow up and help to thicken it over time.

Fighting my corner

The veggie garden provides broad beans, lettuce, beetroot, mint, cauliflowers, strawberries, tomatoes, spring onions, carrots, silverbeet, and some other stuffs.

Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:42 am
Fighting my corner

Out the front is a little tree I successfully transplanted from a flower box it had outgrown. At the time it was literally just a stalk with a rudimentary twig on the side (which later fell off! ) and it stayed that way for so many months we thought we'd lost it. But I kept tending to it faithfully, and now...

Fighting my corner

Front lawn is looking good these days too.

Fighting my corner

1.53kW solar system (a present from my mother) will be a real bonus this year, especially during summer.

Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:44 am
Fighting my corner

Nobody chucks rubbish into our front yard like they did when we were in Walsall, and the local footpaths are always surprisingly clean.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 18th 2011 at 10:49 am.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:47 am
Fighting my corner

We're still driving the '98 Mitsubishi Magna wagon on permanent loan from my mother, and we're still debt free apart from our two mortgages (house in the UK as well as the one here).

Our combined income is <$30k. Rent from the UK house all goes on the UK mortgage and it's classed as income, which reduces our benefits slightly. We're living on my student grant and Mrs Stampede's social security payments. This will be the pattern for the next few years until I finish my degree. To make life a little easier we've switched to an interest only mortgage and locked our rate at 6.94% for the next 24 months (our variable was 7.4%!)

We have to be ruthless with every penny, but fortunately Mrs Stampede is a genius in that department and she hasn't threatened to put me on the game yet () so I presume this means we're keeping the wolf from the door. Every now and then we allow ourselves a small luxury; the most recent of these was a Miele dishwasher. We bought it second hand from some rich friends for the princely sum of $50!

Mrs Stampede has been homesick a few times this year. Her mother would love to visit but can't afford it, and when my mother offered to buy her a return flight to Australia she had to decline due to health problems. There's a small chance Mrs Stampede's brother may visit us next year, which would be great.

Despite a few lean months it's been a good year and we can't complain.

I'm optimistic about the future.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 18th 2011 at 10:56 am.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:57 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two years in Adelaide

Good stuff.

Hope your studies work out.

G
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:10 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two years in Adelaide

Great update Vash. I cannot believe how big the kids are already. It doesn't seem that long ago you posted newborn photos.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:32 pm
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Two years in Adelaide

Thanks guys.

You're right about the kids, they are outgrowing clothes faster than I believed possible! We buy second hand clothes whenever we can. There's just no point buying new all the time, as they won't be in them for long enough to make it worthwhile.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:22 am
Fighting my corner

At a local cafe with the pups:

Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:26 am
Fighting my corner

Visiting a vineyard in the Barossa Valley:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.