9 months in - Perth

Old Sep 10th 2009, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

macfamily1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 9 months in - Perth

Hi Munch,
Congrats on your move to Perth! Hope your test results come back negative Thank you for your very informative post you've really been through the mill and come out so positive. We also have 3 boys and are hoping to go to Perth early next year. OH is a carpenter and we don't have work lined up either so it's a case of hoping to get something while there hopefully will be pick up again. I know you don't want people asking you questions but have your boys settled into school well and did you have any problems finding a school? Continued success to your family.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

perth bound is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by macfamily1
Hi Munch,
Congrats on your move to Perth! Hope your test results come back negative Thank you for your very informative post you've really been through the mill and come out so positive. We also have 3 boys and are hoping to go to Perth early next year. OH is a carpenter and we don't have work lined up either so it's a case of hoping to get something while there hopefully will be pick up again. I know you don't want people asking you questions but have your boys settled into school well and did you have any problems finding a school? Continued success to your family.
...I've got 3 boys too (6, 9 & 12) and I am interested how your boys have settled into school too. We are moving to perth NOR end of Nov. Munch, please do post sum more.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice
Post Re: 9 months in - Perth

Originally Posted by macfamily1
Hi Munch,
perth bound

...I've got 3 boys too (6, 9 & 12) and I am interested how your boys have settled into school too. We are moving to perth NOR end of Nov. Munch, please do post sum more.

Hi,
Thanks, the test came back abnormal so having an operation end of November not great but at least I know now and then it will be all over and done with.
It's the downside to living here I suppose, not having family here when you need them but I have made some good friends and they have offered to have my youngest that day and pick my 5 year old up from school so my husband can come with me.
Medicare pay for the operation apparantly, but the consultants fees, biopsy and scans etc. we have had to pay the majority of, something to bear in mind, not like NHS here.
Don't mind answering any questions, I know it helps. Our main worry was finding the right school for our boys because they liked the schools they went to in the UK and we really didn't want them to be unhappy, I had many sleepless nights trying to decide what to do, to be honest still not sure we have made the right choice but they are happy and have made friends so that is the main thing.
If you live or rent in the catchment area then that school has to take your children, they don't have to if they are in kindy or Pre-Primary because they are optional. We looked for the school we wanted first and then applied for rentals in that area to guarantee them places, they all go to Quinns Beach Primary which is fine, not great but fine. Don't think there are any great Primarys but there are no bad ones either, it is the high schools you have to really carefully consider.
We have chosen to send our eldest to Quinns Baptist next year, I know I will get shot down for mentioning private school but lots of parents choose the many private schools here over the public, costs $4000 per year so not like Eton!!! And it is closer to us which is much more practical than him cycling for 2/3 miles to the public school in 40 degree heat! Also, you can live anywhere if they go private as there is no catchment area.
It does seem to work out when you get here and lots of people offer advice, hope all works out well for you.
Debbie
Old Sep 12th 2009, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

macfamily1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again Munch, so sorry to hear your test came back abnormal, I hope your op goes well and you make a speedy recovery.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:21 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by munch
perth bound

Hi,
Thanks, the test came back abnormal so having an operation end of November not great but at least I know now and then it will be all over and done with.
It's the downside to living here I suppose, not having family here when you need them but I have made some good friends and they have offered to have my youngest that day and pick my 5 year old up from school so my husband can come with me.
Medicare pay for the operation apparantly, but the consultants fees, biopsy and scans etc. we have had to pay the majority of, something to bear in mind, not like NHS here.
Don't mind answering any questions, I know it helps. Our main worry was finding the right school for our boys because they liked the schools they went to in the UK and we really didn't want them to be unhappy, I had many sleepless nights trying to decide what to do, to be honest still not sure we have made the right choice but they are happy and have made friends so that is the main thing.
If you live or rent in the catchment area then that school has to take your children, they don't have to if they are in kindy or Pre-Primary because they are optional. We looked for the school we wanted first and then applied for rentals in that area to guarantee them places, they all go to Quinns Beach Primary which is fine, not great but fine. Don't think there are any great Primarys but there are no bad ones either, it is the high schools you have to really carefully consider.
We have chosen to send our eldest to Quinns Baptist next year, I know I will get shot down for mentioning private school but lots of parents choose the many private schools here over the public, costs $4000 per year so not like Eton!!! And it is closer to us which is much more practical than him cycling for 2/3 miles to the public school in 40 degree heat! Also, you can live anywhere if they go private as there is no catchment area.
It does seem to work out when you get here and lots of people offer advice, hope all works out well for you.
Debbie
I thought that medicare covered the cost of scans/biopsies as well? Might be worth checking out. I have heard of people not paying anything for surgery.

Good luck with your operation - keep us updated.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by suziegaz
a very clear, honest & consise update about the ups & downs of relocating and settling in oz.
glad your enjoying your new life, hope the biopsy results come back all clear for you.

suzie
x
Yes Ditto from me, enjoyed reading your post
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

CoolAllie is a jewel in the roughCoolAllie is a jewel in the roughCoolAllie is a jewel in the roughCoolAllie is a jewel in the rough

Hi Debbie

Thanks for the really honest post. I've got two boys, currently 12 and 14 and hoping to come out next year. Just waiting to be assigned a case worker. We are also coming to Perth - whereabouts are you? I'm interested in the schools but also in meeting up with people as I think when you are away from your family and friends, you need to make new friends quickly to stop feeling isolated.
I'm worried about the cost of housing too!

Axx
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice

Originally Posted by CoolAllie
Hi Debbie

Thanks for the really honest post. I've got two boys, currently 12 and 14 and hoping to come out next year. Just waiting to be assigned a case worker. We are also coming to Perth - whereabouts are you? I'm interested in the schools but also in meeting up with people as I think when you are away from your family and friends, you need to make new friends quickly to stop feeling isolated.
I'm worried about the cost of housing too!

Axx
We are North of the river, we like it here but my husband seems to get a lot of work South of the river so wished we had rented near Karrinyup when we first got here to cut down on his travelling time a bit.
It's difficult because once the children are settled you really don't want to move them again, they go through so much coming here, so be careful on your choice of location - it has to right for all of you.
Yes, it's a good idea to meet up and make friends quickly it does help a lot. The principal at the boys school had a morning tea session for all new families which was a way of helping mums get to meet other mums that had just emigrated, she asked us to all meet up and get to know each other and from that day there are 8 of us that meet every monday moring and have a coffee and chat.
We have grown to all be good friends and go out for drinks or a meal now and again, without that Principal I really don't think I would have felt settled here, she has moved school now which is a shame.
Hope it all goes well for you, let us know when you get here - I have a son who is 13 in March so similar age to your children.
Don't get me started on house prices, expect to pay $450+ for anything in a decent area and at that you would probably have to spend a bit on it. $600+ if you want to be nearer to coast.
Good luck
Debbie
Old Sep 26th 2009, 11:44 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to wish you luck for your op Debbie and I hope everything turns out ok.
Good update too

Julie. x
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

suziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nice

Thanks for your reply, just noticed your from Preston - so are we!! Well, Leyland, then Farington Moss, then Penwortham for a bit just before we came here, small world isn't it.
Congratulations on getting your visa granted, it's a strange feeling once it is actually granted but very exciting as well, I know I started to feel really guilty on our parents once we told them it was actually happening, but it really is worth it and you can't beat the feeling you get once you arrive, it's better than that Christmas feeling!
Where about's are you heading?
Good luck with it all
Debbie
hi Debbie,

we are from ribbleton, we want to head out asap, but cant sell the house, we have friends in ashby and i have a job just outside perth, so we will be heading some where in the middle to begin with, hope your op goes well keeps us all update
suzie
x
Old Oct 4th 2009, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

zimpomoz is an unknown quantity at this point

All the best Debbie, thanks for posting your updates.

Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Well been here for 9 months now and it has gone so quick but at the same time we feel like we have been here for years.
You do so much in the first few months with re-building your life and you do compare everything to your old one which I think is only natural.
We have had so much to deal with and at times I do think we have made a huge mistake, husband has really struggled to find work and had 7 weeks with nothing! He has applied for so many jobs and most don't even acknowledge your application, there is only so much rejection you can take before it get's to you and after 14 years of being together this is the first time I have seen him really down. He has work now but it's only 2/3 weeks at a time. He is a bricklayer but to be honest would have been worse in the UK.
We had visitors staying with us for nearly 5 months in total and have only been here 9! It was nice to see people but hard because our youngest had to sleep with us, and anyone that has had a 4 year old in with them you will know that they tend to sleep across you and not the bed!
My husbands Dad had a stroke and then lost his mind for a few weeks, something to do with drinking too much water on the medication he was on, but it's all good now and he is on the mend, they are even talking about coming out here next year to visit if he is strong enough.
My youngest son broke his elbow, so we have had so many trips to x-ray and consultants, but he is all better now thankfully. I have been so impressed with the health service here, very efficient and friendly and not had to pay anything at all, oh, apart from about $70 for a part payment for a consultant.
Then a few weeks ago I took my son to the doctors as he was a bit off and the doctor asked me if I'd had my enlarged thyroid and the lump/nodule diagnosed, didn't even know I had anything wrong with it! Had scans, radioactive iodine injection, more scans and then a biopsy last week - just waiting now for the results to see if it's cancer - can't believe it. But so thankful that I went to the doctors and got one that was so on the ball.
We do love Perth and only think of going home for the comforting factor - family, familiar surroundings, good tv, hand out the lottery winnings (I wish) etc.
We have made some fantastic friends and the kids are doing more now than they ever did or would have done in the UK, lots of sport and our eldest is so much more confident which I think is a lot to do with school, he has made loads of friends and they have all welcomed him which I was worried about at first. He has even started going out at weekends and having sleepovers now which he didn't do for months, we can't keep him in anymore he has a better social life than me!
I have found, having 3 boys, that kids do adjust and just get on with it. If you show them that you are happy and settled then I think they become happy and settled.
We are only renting at the moment and have no plans to buy yet, just going to take our time and enjoy our lovely rental. We are disappointed at the cost of houses, much more than the UK, so will have a big mortgage if we stay in the same area as we are renting but we don't spend anything like we did in the UK so I'm not going to stress about it that much because we do seem to have much more disposable income left here than we ever had.
Some things annoy me; the driving standards, lack of choice, good quality chocolate (you know when you could just do with a good bar of chocolate), limited opening hours but to be honest much more annoyed me in the UK.
Love reading post's on here but don't often reply because sometimes it ends up in people trying to just get the better of each other and I lose interest. Will try and put another post on in a few more months maybe after Christmas.
Debbie
Thanks Debbie - really enjoyed reading your post - what part of Perth are you renting in? Is it expensive to rent?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

JOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to behold

Great post...And I definatley agree on the Chocalate!! oh to be able to munch on a bar of Galaxy any time I please

Hope everything work out ok for you all

Tricia