9 months in - Perth

Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice
Default 9 months in - Perth

Well been here for 9 months now and it has gone so quick but at the same time we feel like we have been here for years.
You do so much in the first few months with re-building your life and you do compare everything to your old one which I think is only natural.
We have had so much to deal with and at times I do think we have made a huge mistake, husband has really struggled to find work and had 7 weeks with nothing! He has applied for so many jobs and most don't even acknowledge your application, there is only so much rejection you can take before it get's to you and after 14 years of being together this is the first time I have seen him really down. He has work now but it's only 2/3 weeks at a time. He is a bricklayer but to be honest would have been worse in the UK.
We had visitors staying with us for nearly 5 months in total and have only been here 9! It was nice to see people but hard because our youngest had to sleep with us, and anyone that has had a 4 year old in with them you will know that they tend to sleep across you and not the bed!
My husbands Dad had a stroke and then lost his mind for a few weeks, something to do with drinking too much water on the medication he was on, but it's all good now and he is on the mend, they are even talking about coming out here next year to visit if he is strong enough.
My youngest son broke his elbow, so we have had so many trips to x-ray and consultants, but he is all better now thankfully. I have been so impressed with the health service here, very efficient and friendly and not had to pay anything at all, oh, apart from about $70 for a part payment for a consultant.
Then a few weeks ago I took my son to the doctors as he was a bit off and the doctor asked me if I'd had my enlarged thyroid and the lump/nodule diagnosed, didn't even know I had anything wrong with it! Had scans, radioactive iodine injection, more scans and then a biopsy last week - just waiting now for the results to see if it's cancer - can't believe it. But so thankful that I went to the doctors and got one that was so on the ball.
We do love Perth and only think of going home for the comforting factor - family, familiar surroundings, good tv, hand out the lottery winnings (I wish) etc.
We have made some fantastic friends and the kids are doing more now than they ever did or would have done in the UK, lots of sport and our eldest is so much more confident which I think is a lot to do with school, he has made loads of friends and they have all welcomed him which I was worried about at first. He has even started going out at weekends and having sleepovers now which he didn't do for months, we can't keep him in anymore he has a better social life than me!
I have found, having 3 boys, that kids do adjust and just get on with it. If you show them that you are happy and settled then I think they become happy and settled.
We are only renting at the moment and have no plans to buy yet, just going to take our time and enjoy our lovely rental. We are disappointed at the cost of houses, much more than the UK, so will have a big mortgage if we stay in the same area as we are renting but we don't spend anything like we did in the UK so I'm not going to stress about it that much because we do seem to have much more disposable income left here than we ever had.
Some things annoy me; the driving standards, lack of choice, good quality chocolate (you know when you could just do with a good bar of chocolate), limited opening hours but to be honest much more annoyed me in the UK.
Love reading post's on here but don't often reply because sometimes it ends up in people trying to just get the better of each other and I lose interest. Will try and put another post on in a few more months maybe after Christmas.
Debbie
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

suziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nice
Default Re: 9 months in - Perth

a very clear, honest & consise update about the ups & downs of relocating and settling in oz.
glad your enjoying your new life, hope the biopsy results come back all clear for you.

suzie
x
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the post very interesting. Hope all goes well for you.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 6:36 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Debbie
Old Sep 4th 2009, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

YingYing is an unknown quantity at this point

great post Debbie,I would love to go to Perth if get the visa sorted!
Enjoy ur life down there!!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

wannabe in oz will become famous soon enough

great post Debbie glad things are going ok. we'll be in Perth end of sept to validate visa, can't wait for that. hope all goes well with results
Old Sep 4th 2009, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wannabe in oz
great post Debbie glad things are going ok. we'll be in Perth end of sept to validate visa, can't wait for that. hope all goes well with results
hey there,

congratulations to you for starting a wonderful life in Perth! I hope could get my visa soon as well..heading to perth as well!!

wish you guys all the best in OZ!!

have a good one!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 9:55 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Alot of things that might annoy people in Perth such as limited opening hours or lack or choice and other things may not apply in much larger cities like Sydeny or Melbourne.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Good update.
Personally, I like that the shops close early on Saturdays. There is more to life!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

perth bound is on a distinguished road

Hi Debbie, loved reading your post. Hope you get the results soon, fingers crossed it will be good news.

We are coming out this November 09, I am so nervous and excited.

Post some more please, love hearing about everything!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

plumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud of

Hi
Great post we came out to perth in january this year and also loving it, its not been easy sometimes but wouldnt go back for anything. Good luck for the future.
Sue
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice

Originally Posted by suziegaz
a very clear, honest & consise update about the ups & downs of relocating and settling in oz.
glad your enjoying your new life, hope the biopsy results come back all clear for you.

suzie
x
Thanks for your reply, just noticed your from Preston - so are we!! Well, Leyland, then Farington Moss, then Penwortham for a bit just before we came here, small world isn't it.
Congratulations on getting your visa granted, it's a strange feeling once it is actually granted but very exciting as well, I know I started to feel really guilty on our parents once we told them it was actually happening, but it really is worth it and you can't beat the feeling you get once you arrive, it's better than that Christmas feeling!
Where about's are you heading?
Good luck with it all
Debbie
Old Sep 9th 2009, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

wannabe in oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by YingYing
hey there,

congratulations to you for starting a wonderful life in Perth! I hope could get my visa soon as well..heading to perth as well!!

wish you guys all the best in OZ!!

have a good one!
hey YingYing, hows it going. have you any idea of when you might get your visa? I know only to well what it's like just waiting for THAT phone call. only 2weeks 5days and 6hours until we go, even thought i know we have to come home again, i really can't wait
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wannabe in oz
hey YingYing, hows it going. have you any idea of when you might get your visa? I know only to well what it's like just waiting for THAT phone call. only 2weeks 5days and 6hours until we go, even thought i know we have to come home again, i really can't wait
Hey there,

I have no idea when the visa would come! just keep my finger crossed,have to do the ielts again, and hopefully could get 175 if possible!

enjoy your visa validation tour!!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 12:59 am
Just Joined

aimeejay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Debbie,

My last post was deleted probably because i plugged my wife's new business!
I can relate to alot of what you said in your post. We are also in Jindalee and have been here just over a year. It is hard for the first few months but in my opinion it gets easier the longer you are here, certainly for us anyway. I did have a job to come to which was half the battle, hope your hubby can continue to find work. Kids have settled well at school and we enjoy the life here. Hope your doctors results are positive, best wishes. Where about's in Jindalee are you?

Mark, Nina, Jay & Aimee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.