Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

9 Months in living on the central coast north of Sydney

9 Months in living on the central coast north of Sydney

Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:12 pm
Mad Nurse now in NSW

eljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of light
Default 9 Months in living on the central coast north of Sydney

Well thought I would get round to putting in an update I have been here for 9 months got a girlfriend, landed a good job made lots of friends and purchased my first house.

I arrived in Australia on the 6th of august after a 5 night stopover in Singapore, great lace but only really any good for a 2 night stopover was bored after that. Still found plenty to do but was itching to get over to Australia. I had initially chosen to emmigrate to WA, but a couple of months before I was due to go over I opted for nsw mainly beaccuse the nurses award was higher and that the availability of jobs was much better. In hindsight I should have either gone to WA or further north to Brissy. Winters here last and this have been wet and cold. Ok I am being a bit soft, nopt like northern Enlgand cold but you soon aclimatise.

I have some family in Sydney who lived at Leichardt so I stayed with them for the first night was pretty much wipped out after my arrival and manged to get pulled over by a police officer for parking against the flow of traffic, got told off but got let off. My uncle was having kittens. I had an apartment in nuetral bay which was like the ritz had that for 2 weeks but pretty much stayed with my family. Within 4 days of being there I had bought a honda CRV and within a week I had a rental on the central coast in a place called etttalong beach less than 5 minutes walk from the beach. My6 famiuly tried to convince me of moving out west were accomodation purchases and rental is cheaper. I drove to Penrith and mount druitt and no offece to anyone who lives there but it was not for me. The whole area is lower socio-economic and full of what Australians call deadshits and buff heads. I moved upto the central coast the following having already secured employment frfom England working at Hornsby hospital. Great job, great people great boss, just the down side is the commute an hour each way a day.

I work 12 hour shift which is great for the time off, I won a boat I have taken up fishing and love being on the water and on the beaches and the central coast has some bloody awesome bach google, pearl beach, patonga beach, Avoca Umina beach mcmasters terrigal...if you are considering moving up here then contact me and i will try and help were I can.

To be honest, I was under no illushions before I came here that life would be very very different, especailly since I came here on my own and had no social network to speak of. You have to go out ther and make friends get invovled. What really got me when I first got here was thte fact I really didnt have a clue what on earth the aussies were saying I just couldnt understand any of them and they me. My local pub, they all understand me now, sometimes the odd person say **** whats the bloody pom saying then someone translates, we have a laugh about it. The Australians are a cracking bunch of people I refer to them all as colonials or convicts they call me a dirty pom or bloody pom but its always said with humour. It can be difficult to integrate, major towns are difficult like Sydney I really dont like the palce to busy, impersonal. Smaller or regional towns like coffs harbour or Port Macquarie, or were I live the central coast are the places to go. Unless you like the hussle and bussle, but I am jut a country boy at heart anyways. I love Coffs Harbour, Iwas there for a week and it really did feel like home, no work though at the time so had to go back south. I love were I live and I always wanted to try fishing so I hunted around for a fishing club, joined them and that gave me access to a social group...I tell my girlfriend that I am now an athlete. she says thats not an olympic sport I just laugh. Fishing is awesome its a cunning sport, I fish every chance I get providing the suns out, if its lesss than 20 degrees and dont go out too cold. My daad laughs when I tell him things like this. He says I have become soft. I havent been ill once, In England I always had sniffles and a runny nose, nothing ailes me here.

So 4th of July I move in to my house with my girlfriend cant wait life is good. Its a very different life but one I wouldnt change i lovwe the sun the people and the way of life is far far superior, its a whole lifestyle change, you will still miss the poub and the faces but not the weather or the rat race. This place is trully awesome if your a family relocating. If in doubt you could always go back....I would not go back, after 3 months here I had to go back to a funeral and I knew then I loved it here sio much after 5 days I was back on a plane to my new home.

Sorry for rambling hope, hoipe you enjoyed the post. Feel free to criticise or post any questions you may have. Thanks to all those who answered my questions in my application process your the fellas/Ladies who have helped me get here and enjoy my life even more....Same shit shiner bucket, but what a hell of a bucket

Justin
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of
Default Re: 9 Months in living on the central coast north of Sydney

Hey Justin

Fair play to you. Great post and sounds like a great life
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:42 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Justin it sounds like you have worked for what you have and deserve to love it.
I am glad things have worked out for you, take care mate
Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:19 pm
Mad Nurse now in NSW

eljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of light

thanks fellas
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

Justine sounds like you are taking life by the ...... and enjoying it. Life is for living so go for it. I am a nurse but probably much older than you ( you sound so young) but I am off to Oz in July, hubby and 3 kids in tow. I have a job but it will be part time and I am willing to give it a go. I want the kids to go fishing and be outside more. What an opportunity for all of us. Great post long may you continue to enjoy
Old Jun 12th 2008, 4:00 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Justin,

Lovely to hear your update. Sounds like you have really landed on your feet. Does your girlfriend share your passion for fishing? how the hell did you manage to win a boat????

we have settled well up here in Brissy and hubby is hoping to get a tinny soon! I'm not really into fishing, but have had a good time camping so may well get into that when it gets a bit warmer!

Jackie x
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

PC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nice

What a great post!

Straight from the heart!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:11 am
Mad Nurse now in NSW

thanks for the kind words guys, nice to hear from you again mrs JFW, had to sell the boat to pay for the deposit for the house but worth it move in on the 4th July

Justin
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Suzistar is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 9 Months in living on the central coast north of Sydney

Hi Justin, Just wanted to say what a great post, my hubby and I are both nurses and are moving to the Central Coast in Jan 09 so it is great to hear from someone who's done it already, and have such positive things to say. We don't have jobs yet but are going to start applying soon, don't really want to commute so hopefully we will get one in Gosford or Wyong area. Obviously we have plenty of time still but would be great if you new of any short term rentals for when we first arrive, it's probably the only thing that's worrying me, well that and the spiders!!!! cheers
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Hi Justin! Great post and I agree with your comments regarding the central coast.

We just arrived here in December 2008. We're living in Macmasters Beach and are really enjoying the area. Great for a family. Many people come here to vacation - and we get to live here!

To all: If there is anyone coming this way, feel free to PM me and I'll do what I can to help. I'd love to meet up any new families.

Catherine
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

kicking_k is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jusin,

What a great post and an enjoyable read! I am a nurse due to start work in sydney in March just wondered how you found the transition for Uk to Oz nursing

Good luck with everything

K