Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

9 months in Geelong.....

9 months in Geelong.....

Old Jun 14th 2009, 3:38 am
Happy where I am

wiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nice
Default 9 months in Geelong.....

Hello there

Been a while since my last update, lots going on, so I thought I would make a quick post. Let me start by apologising to those of you who replied to my last update just after we arrived, I tend not to come on BE too often.

Well, at the moment I personally am on a high, yesterday we put a deposit down for a house and land package after a long and disappointing struggle to get a mortgage (as hubby is self employed). The CB turned us down so we got in touch with a local broker (who has a good reputation amongst friends) and he finally got our pre-approval .

I am sick of renting, begrudge helping someone else to pay their mortgage when the money could be going towards my own!!! House wont be ready for at least another 8 months so I envisage us only having to extend our contract by 6 months.

Aside from that, I am still feeling quite homesick, missing my friends more than anything, you know the kind of friends who youve grown up with, I dont think I will ever find that again but hey, it pales in comparison when I see how much my two eldest have changed (for the better).

I'm also applying to start a course at the local TAFE (had to sit the VETASSESS to prove I could read and write!!) so should hear this week if I have an interview. Ive always wanted to retrain in this career and push myself. Dont get me wrong I like being at home but I do feel like my brain is turning to mush lol.

Hubby is still working self employed, plenty of work for him but is trying to get a permanent job with one of the local housing companies. He is finding this frustrating as no one seems to get back to him, even when prompted for feedback they dont bother. We find ourselves thinking "if this was back in England"..... but dont want to say it out loud for fear of being branded a whinging pom!!!

As for the real estate agents, they are as much use as a chocolate teapot, left us with no heating last week for 3 days, promised someone would be round to look at it on weds at 12pm, hey presto NO ONE turns up, then rings us in the evening and says "Oh, weve been trying to find your number all day"!!! *cough* Bu*****t* !!!! So for those wanting to rent, be upfront and dont take any nonsense from those guys.

Our life as a whole at the moment, hit a bit of a rut, but thats until we get our own place. Were used to pottering about the house doing bits and bats, hard not to when youre in a rental.

Still think we have made the right choice with Geelong, we spend a lot of time driving around, with nowhere particular to go, and have found some amazing places. The Otways are a favourite for us, kids love it there, waterfalls, walks the wildlife all sorts.

The locals are very helpful, our neighbours are great (expats too) and am glad we can afford to stay in this area. School is fantastic, especially for my eldest son, who has had some difficulty settling in and adjusting his social skills, I find the teachers approach to him totally different to the one he came from in the UK. Only down side to school is I seem to be paying for trips at least once a month, and as I have two that go there it tends to add up!

As for family back in England, well, my family are still giving the guilty treatment although not as bad. I get my mum telling me things about my father behind his back, and sometimes I feel as if she is trying to purposely make me feel c*** or whether she genuinely doesnt realise what she is saying to me. On the other hand, I get my MIL telling me my own mother has said "they wont be able to afford to buy a house in Oz". This was after they stayed with us for 7 weeks over Christmas 08. Hm, Im chalking that one down to experience lol. And now they are planning next years visit. Would I be wrong for feeling like I dont want them to come at all, Id love to have some space!! 0

Gosh, I dont know what else to say, now looking at putting my youngest into family day care (not a day care centre) as I would like to have some time to myself once a week, and will also help his social skills in preparation for when I go to work and/or start college.

Anyway to sum the last few months up, all good, (with a few hiccups) and still loving it
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

smude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nice
Default Re: 9 months in Geelong.....

Can relate to a lot of what you have said. I too am still getting over a 3 month visit from family and dreading the next visit from mil for 6 weeks in December 09. I too also hate renting. Good luck with the house and may you continue to enjoy your new adventure!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:39 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Glad you are settling in Geelong. It is a lovely place and I can't wait to return there as soon as we sell our house here.

Can I ask what your OH does for a living? Mine will also be working self employed as a carpet fitter so I am interested in the fact you say there is lots of work. Is your hubby in construction?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:00 am
Happy where I am

wiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nice

Hi Mika

Yes, he is a Bricklayer by trade, and has got on with a contractor who do the bricklaying for a local housing company, has been with them since Nov last year.

Obviously the down side to being self employed is no sick pay etc but we are managing. As for your OH being a carpet fitter, there are still lots of houses going up in our area, and remember with the Armstrong Creek Urban Development going ahead there will be lots of work there too .

Good luck with your house sale, pain in the bum waiting isnt it? What part of Geelong are you looking at moving to? x
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:30 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

I had not heard of the new housing development, that is good news!

We are moving to Highton, thankfully we never sold our house there before we left. Whereabouts are you?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Geelong too! Been here about 6 weeks. Loving it too.....
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:56 am
Happy where I am

We are in Waurn Ponds. Top end of Ghazepoore Road. Loving it here.

My two eldest go to school in Highton.

Welcome itigo
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:47 am
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in Geelong too, have been here since October and loving it, couldn't have picked a better place, whole family is happy here.

Lisa
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wiltsgurl
We are in Waurn Ponds. Top end of Ghazepoore Road. Loving it here.

My two eldest go to school in Highton.

Welcome itigo
Wiltsgurl, where were you from in the UK? Just asking cos I think we were very close to you (from your name!)......

I have seen a couple of British families out and about (got Next withdrawal yesterday cos someone had a Next bag!!) but never manage to strike up a conversation.....think we are all too busy trying to blend in!!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 1:57 am
Happy where I am

Wiltshire funnily enough Good old country bumpkin me lol
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wiltsgurl
Wiltshire funnily enough Good old country bumpkin me lol
Well I guessed that! We lived in the dump in the north of the county. Not originally from Wiltshire but having taught there for over 10 years, I do now say gurul for girl..........no hope for me out here then......
Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Nice update & good luck with your first home!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 11:49 am
Just Joined

shell123 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there i have been in geelong coming up 2 and a half years was wondering if any one fancied a meet up?
im a mother of 3 and live in the waurn ponds area and would love to meet up with some poms!!!!!!
Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shell123
hi there i have been in geelong coming up 2 and a half years was wondering if any one fancied a meet up?
im a mother of 3 and live in the waurn ponds area and would love to meet up with some poms!!!!!!

That sounds good
have been here for 8 months tommorow and all good so far.....
Old Jul 7th 2009, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

antandjack will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: 9 months in Geelong.....

Hi everyone!

We are moving to Geelong in about 8 weeks very nervous!
How did you find the rental situation? Is there lots of properties available?
We are heading to Highton we fall in love with it when we visited it a few months ago.
Which schools in Highton do you recommend?
Sorry so many questions!!!

Thanks
Jackie and Family

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.