4 Years

Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:41 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 Years

Today is exactly 4 years to the day from the worst day of my life - the day we left the UK. 3 hours later, after a swim and a couple of glasses of wine, that was all behind us and we began this wonderful, scary, and crazy new life.

Haven't been on BE much recently due to a crazy 6-8 months. We were sailing along just beautifully in Melbourne last year. Loved our house, had great friends and kids were in an amazing school and doing brilliantly. Then.......Mike was asked to relocate to Sydney by his company. After much soul searching, we decided it was a move we needed to make so we set about selling our house and trying to get our heads around where to live in Sydney.

Our last few weeks in Melbourne were a nightmare. We were sooooo stressed. The girls were incredibly upset to be leaving school, work was off the richter scale, selling the house was crazy and we were spending most of our free time house hunting interstate!!! Crazy busy doesn't even come close. At the end, we hardly even got time to say goodbye to many people as there were lots of last minute complications. I actually lost a lovely friend due to this, I believe, but we had to do what we had to do In the midst of all this, I was also dealing with the news my Dad had had a stroke and my grandmother was pretty ill too. It was pretty bleak for a while there tbh.

Anyways. We chose to drive to Sydney and had a lovely few days meandering through the Victorian/ACT and NSW countryside which was lovely. We "landed" in Sydney a week before Christmas to find our new house was in a state of complete disrepair. We'd had a comprehensive builders report done but nothing could have prepared me for the levels of filth and neglect we found. That combined with Telstra making a complete pigs ear of our phone and internet connection made this perhaps the most difficult Christmas we've ever had, but we made the best of it for the girls.

The end of the summer holidays really made a big difference for us. The girls were terrified of starting a new school but were immediately welcomed, and have made lovely friends and are now pretty well settled.

The house continues to be a source of concern, but we're getting there. It's going to take years to sort it all out, but as Mike says " it's got good bones". It's definately a case of worst house in a great street and we're making changes bit by bit to bring it up to date. It's just going to take time (and lots of money).

People ask me if I prefer Sydney over Melbourne and I honestly can't give an answer. I have always loved Sydney, it's where I originally wanted to be and a lot of being here just feels "right". Saying that, I loved, and miss Melbourne too. I think I have to just be positive and say I am now lucky enough to be able to call both cities somewhere I think of as home.

The last year has definately brought us more downs than ups but I get the feeling that there's a lot more ups coming in the next 12 months. Hopefully, we'll start to feel less like newbies again and return to that settled feeling we had in Melbourne. We've got a little trip to QLD booked for the Spring break so that should recharge our batteries.

Onwards and upwards
Old Jul 29th 2011, 2:52 am
Just Joined

Iguazu Rocks is just really niceIguazu Rocks is just really niceIguazu Rocks is just really niceIguazu Rocks is just really niceIguazu Rocks is just really niceIguazu Rocks is just really niceIguazu Rocks is just really niceIguazu Rocks is just really nice
Default Re: 4 Years

Sounds like you are on the right track and i wish you well for the future.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Derry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by herrchook
Today is exactly 4 years to the day from the worst day of my life - the day we left the UK. 3 hours later, after a swim and a couple of glasses of wine, that was all behind us and we began this wonderful, scary, and crazy new life.

Haven't been on BE much recently due to a crazy 6-8 months. We were sailing along just beautifully in Melbourne last year. Loved our house, had great friends and kids were in an amazing school and doing brilliantly. Then.......Mike was asked to relocate to Sydney by his company. After much soul searching, we decided it was a move we needed to make so we set about selling our house and trying to get our heads around where to live in Sydney.

Our last few weeks in Melbourne were a nightmare. We were sooooo stressed. The girls were incredibly upset to be leaving school, work was off the richter scale, selling the house was crazy and we were spending most of our free time house hunting interstate!!! Crazy busy doesn't even come close. At the end, we hardly even got time to say goodbye to many people as there were lots of last minute complications. I actually lost a lovely friend due to this, I believe, but we had to do what we had to do In the midst of all this, I was also dealing with the news my Dad had had a stroke and my grandmother was pretty ill too. It was pretty bleak for a while there tbh.

Anyways. We chose to drive to Sydney and had a lovely few days meandering through the Victorian/ACT and NSW countryside which was lovely. We "landed" in Sydney a week before Christmas to find our new house was in a state of complete disrepair. We'd had a comprehensive builders report done but nothing could have prepared me for the levels of filth and neglect we found. That combined with Telstra making a complete pigs ear of our phone and internet connection made this perhaps the most difficult Christmas we've ever had, but we made the best of it for the girls.

The end of the summer holidays really made a big difference for us. The girls were terrified of starting a new school but were immediately welcomed, and have made lovely friends and are now pretty well settled.

The house continues to be a source of concern, but we're getting there. It's going to take years to sort it all out, but as Mike says " it's got good bones". It's definately a case of worst house in a great street and we're making changes bit by bit to bring it up to date. It's just going to take time (and lots of money).

People ask me if I prefer Sydney over Melbourne and I honestly can't give an answer. I have always loved Sydney, it's where I originally wanted to be and a lot of being here just feels "right". Saying that, I loved, and miss Melbourne too. I think I have to just be positive and say I am now lucky enough to be able to call both cities somewhere I think of as home.

The last year has definately brought us more downs than ups but I get the feeling that there's a lot more ups coming in the next 12 months. Hopefully, we'll start to feel less like newbies again and return to that settled feeling we had in Melbourne. We've got a little trip to QLD booked for the Spring break so that should recharge our batteries.

Onwards and upwards
Having been through a building disaster a few years ago in the UK I can totally empathise with you my heart goes out to you all. It is massively stressful and wears you down. On the positive side you have got the move done and that stress is gone- Melbourne is only 1 hour flight so when things are more settled you can go back and visit friends when your relaxed and not so distracted.

We have just finished a tour of family/friends etc as we fly to Sydney on Thursday and I felt very ill with a severe virus and had a crazy few weeks finishing up, selling business etc so I totally understand when you talk about being distracted. I expected to feel very upset saying goodbye but felt relieved to get some of the moving from pillar to post over and felt too ill to fully absorb everything.

Do the critical things first in the house and then finish one room at a time because it does bring some joy and satisfaction during a long project. Things will settle and you will look back and think how did we get through it.

Good Luck
Old Jul 31st 2011, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Great up date hon, I know too well about being settle down in one state & then have uproot the family to another state, I'm still not settled & more more hating my life, but my children are settled well in their new schools & totally love it.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Sydney! It will be 3 years for us in a couple of weeks, and I can really relate to the stress and the grotty house. We are on our second one, as our first was a rental which was totally awful. We bought a house that was liveable but rather run down in places, as it is all we could afford, but we love the area and have great neighbours, so although unexpected extra bills for my health problems and dental work have meant that we have not been able to do much so far, the place will be great once we can insulate, renovate and put in proper windows. That might take 10 years though judging by the current rate of improvement.

We too have family worries, so thought we'd be flying back for funeral(s), but touch wood, dad is out of immediate danger, mother is recovering from her op, and sister is better after her stroke.

hope you settle in well
Old Jul 31st 2011, 2:18 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Here's to more ups and less downs

We ARE lucky to live in Sydney; we're lucky to have a choice at all in where we live and to have a roof over our heads - even if it does leak every time it rains.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Great update hun. Glad you're starting to feel at home in Sydney, and definitely hope this year is full of lots of up for you all. xx
Old Aug 1st 2011, 4:45 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic update Gill. As for the 'friend' you lost, if they couldn't see the turmoil you were going through at the time and understand why you couldn't get around to them then I honestly think they weren't truly friends. Onwards and upwards.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 2:23 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck in your new location,doing the hardest of yards
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:01 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

goodluck gill , hope it gets better and better
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Gillianc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gill

Sorry to hear you've had such a rough time but glad it sounds like you are turning the corner now. I remember your posts from about a year ago as we were looking for schools in similar areas. Where have you ended up? I'm pleased the girls are happy - it must be really really hard to have moved and been settled and then have to do it all again. Hope your hubbie is enjoying his job!!! Will look forward to reading more updates when you have time.
Take care
Old Aug 8th 2011, 7:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Fantastic update Gill. As for the 'friend' you lost, if they couldn't see the turmoil you were going through at the time and understand why you couldn't get around to them then I honestly think they weren't truly friends. Onwards and upwards.
What she said. Pleased things have finally settled down for you.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 8:29 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your kind words everyone.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 8:30 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by Gillianc
Hi Gill

Sorry to hear you've had such a rough time but glad it sounds like you are turning the corner now. I remember your posts from about a year ago as we were looking for schools in similar areas. Where have you ended up? I'm pleased the girls are happy - it must be really really hard to have moved and been settled and then have to do it all again. Hope your hubbie is enjoying his job!!! Will look forward to reading more updates when you have time.
Take care
Hey. We are in St Ives. New school took a bit of settling for the girls but they're happy now. How about you, what's been happening?
Old Aug 10th 2011, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Gillianc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gill
We're in the UK at the moment but still hoping to come over at some stage. Lots of things have changed in the last year, some good, some not so which is life really. We ended up moving house in September last year as we decided that even if we emmigrated then it wouldn't be till the end of 2011 at the earliest and for various reasons we couldn't stay living where we were for that long. A house came on the market in the perfect location for us and so as there was little around to rent we decided to buy it with a view to either re-selling 12-18 months later or renting it out. It's actually turned out to be a fantastic place to live as we have really wonderful neighbours, fantastic school, less than an hour drive to work for both of us etc etc. Then the exchange rate started to drop and we questioned whether we would be able to afford a move to Sydney as we wouldn't have enough money for a decent deposit. But as I said at the beginning I still can't shake the dream... I guess it's the school thing that is still worrying me as our oldest son is very settled and loving it and our daughter is due to start reception in September. So it's reassuring to hear that your girls have settled in - did you go private or state in the end? St Ives was one of the areas we visited and loved it I know exactly what you mean when you say it feels right - that's how I feel about the place
Take care

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.