Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

4 weeks in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 weeks in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Sep 22nd 2007, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 weeks in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got internet at last, so here goes.

Flew from Heathrow with Singapore, couldn't fault them.
Had an overnight stay at Singapore's transit hotel, would defo recommend this, as when we flew last year we flew straight through, and OMG did I suffer with jet-lag, cheap and cheerful, and arrived in Brisbane feeling fine.
Friends met us at the airport, with our new car!!! which they kindly sorted out for us, (thanks Keith and Sam)

We were booked into an apartment in Burleigh Heads, which Shiels sorted for us, thanks C.

Bought a car for me.

Went to the BE meet at Broadbeach, great to meet some new faces.

Went to the Gold Coast Show with Shiels and family.

Then we spent days just driving around looking at all the suburbs, as you do. Ended up back where we liked last year, Pacific Pines.

Heard of rental going, brand new house, not even finished, through Gill'n'Bri, what would we do without BE? So we're now their neighbours!!!! and turns out we were only about 5 miles away from them in the UK!

Spent a lovely day at Seaworld with our new neighbours.

Sorted kids at school's, eldest is having to go back a year, he'd finished in the UK. But to enable him to get a good OP score, (as he wants to study Multimedia), he needs 2 full years. Youngest though is in year 5, then after their Christmas hol into year 6! so kind of skipping a year!

Kids both think school is great they have both made loads of friends, they reckon the kids couldn't be nicer. So relief all round! I was worried how a 16 year old would feel about, not only going back to school, but going back a year too.

OH went for his first interview, and luckily got the job

Decided as we feel so 'at home' already here, to buy some land sooner rather than later, so last weekend bought a 'house and land package'

Got internet connected yesterday, so it's all good

Still can't get over the friendliness of everyone here ? I find I'm having in-depth conversations wherever I go, as people are genuinely interested to hear about where you're from and why etc. certainly puts a smile on your face.

No negatives about the place at all, and I don't have rose-tinted specs on
Oh just one wish there wasn't bloody tiles on our rental stairs, cos this morning fell down 'em am nursing swollen bruised ankle and same with me right 'buttock' am at this moment sitting on my left one luckily OH caught me near the bottom, and spose I'm lucky not to break anything!

Hope I haven't waffled too much
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 weeks in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody hell, you've been busy haven't you I did a thread the other day asking if anyone knew how you were.

Sounds as though you have landed on your feet and everything is going well.

We have sold the house so are looking to be joining you in about 8 weeks

What school are the kids in? We will need to sort this out as well as a rental so will be in touch with you nearer the time.

Brilliant post, glad to see it's all good.

Mandy
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

You guys have been very busy, its wonderful when everything falls into the place, well I glad you mentioned OP score on your thread, we are moving to GC or maybe Bayside area, & everybody keep telling my OH, when he was at work about OP scores.
We dont have this in Adelaide, he put thread in & didnt get any reply, so if you dont mind explain this to us, I'll be greatful.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear that all is going well!
Sorry to hear about your butt though, sounds painful
Look forward to next instalment!
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 6:09 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

that sound great

good to hear you and the family settling in well
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Great to hear you have all settled well
All the best for the future!

Debbie
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
You guys have been very busy, its wonderful when everything falls into the place, well I glad you mentioned OP score on your thread, we are moving to GC or maybe Bayside area, & everybody keep telling my OH, when he was at work about OP scores.
We dont have this in Adelaide, he put thread in & didnt get any reply, so if you dont mind explain this to us, I'll be greatful.

The OP score stands for overall performance I think. I would imagine it is like the HSC in NSW and it is equivalent to A levels from the UK. Universities have a ranking system for their courses, requiring a certain level of OP or higher for courses.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 4:57 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by curly
Got internet at last, so here goes.

Flew from Heathrow with Singapore, couldn't fault them.
Had an overnight stay at Singapore's transit hotel, would defo recommend this, as when we flew last year we flew straight through, and OMG did I suffer with jet-lag, cheap and cheerful, and arrived in Brisbane feeling fine.
Friends met us at the airport, with our new car!!! which they kindly sorted out for us, (thanks Keith and Sam)

We were booked into an apartment in Burleigh Heads, which Shiels sorted for us, thanks C.

Bought a car for me.

Went to the BE meet at Broadbeach, great to meet some new faces.

Went to the Gold Coast Show with Shiels and family.

Then we spent days just driving around looking at all the suburbs, as you do. Ended up back where we liked last year, Pacific Pines.

Heard of rental going, brand new house, not even finished, through Gill'n'Bri, what would we do without BE? So we're now their neighbours!!!! and turns out we were only about 5 miles away from them in the UK!

Spent a lovely day at Seaworld with our new neighbours.

Sorted kids at school's, eldest is having to go back a year, he'd finished in the UK. But to enable him to get a good OP score, (as he wants to study Multimedia), he needs 2 full years. Youngest though is in year 5, then after their Christmas hol into year 6! so kind of skipping a year!

Kids both think school is great they have both made loads of friends, they reckon the kids couldn't be nicer. So relief all round! I was worried how a 16 year old would feel about, not only going back to school, but going back a year too.

OH went for his first interview, and luckily got the job

Decided as we feel so 'at home' already here, to buy some land sooner rather than later, so last weekend bought a 'house and land package'

Got internet connected yesterday, so it's all good

Still can't get over the friendliness of everyone here ? I find I'm having in-depth conversations wherever I go, as people are genuinely interested to hear about where you're from and why etc. certainly puts a smile on your face.

Lovely post. Nice to see you are happy. well done.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 6:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to just sit and do nothing will you Some people just don't know when to stop.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mand8002
The OP score stands for overall performance I think. I would imagine it is like the HSC in NSW and it is equivalent to A levels from the UK. Universities have a ranking system for their courses, requiring a certain level of OP or higher for courses.
thank you, for explaining it.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

no longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
thank you, for explaining it.
hi know exactly what you mean about the tiles, ours is lovely to look at but dont even think of going near it with your thongs on, and i mean the one on your feet!!!!!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

theyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud of

Great to hear how you are getting on curly and co.

After reading about your departure, I have been wondering how you have been getting on.

It sounds as though you are settling in really well.

Kyle and Rhys say 'hi' to Calum and hopes he is getting on well at school.

You don't hang around do you, the last time we communicated you had the estate agents coming to your house in the UK and now (it feels like only yesterday) you have purchased a house and land package on the other side of the globe

Good on ya mate.

We are currently living with my parents (2 months now) to save some money and then we are going to decide what we are doing

Still confused, never mind.

Have fun and please keep us updated.

Michelle xxx

p.s. Scrawnie2, it is great to hear that you are still focused on your ping pong move, could you please send some in my direction
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

no longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by stillinscotland
hi know exactly what you mean about the tiles, ours is lovely to look at but dont even think of going near it with your thongs on, and i mean the one on your feet!!!!!!!
hi by the way was havin barbie with Andrea and turns out we are neighbours.!!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Niki,

Glad you've all settled well. Congrats to hub on getting a job. Good luck with the house.

Take care,

Ann
x
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 2:20 pm
so far so good

want2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by curly
!

No negatives about the place at all, and I don't have rose-tinted specs on
Oh just one wish there wasn't bloody tiles on our rental stairs, cos this morning fell down 'em am nursing swollen bruised ankle and same with me right 'buttock' am at this moment sitting on my left one luckily OH caught me near the bottom, and spose I'm lucky not to break anything!

OMG you have been busy but waffle as much as you like, i love reading updates hope your ankle and bum feel better soon
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.