Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3 Months in Brisbane........

3 Months in Brisbane........

Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:33 am
Just Joined

sussex3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 Months in Brisbane........

I have enjoyed and learnt so much reading many updates that I thought I would put together some for anyone still in the pre-Oz days.

I am a little different to many as I have lived in Adelaide (9yrs) and Sydney (1yr) previously, so I did know what I was coming to. My two daughters came over to study at University of Queensland and do not look like returning to Blighty. It was on a trip back to the UK that one of them said why not 'come on down', look on 'Seek' for a job. I did look, I did apply, (I didn't think for a moment they would want an oldie like me) but I did get the job.

They wanted me to come over urgently, so I gave notice and here I am in Brisbane. From the UK I researched an area to rent that was close to work, Eagle Farm, the city and to my daughters who live in Toowong. There seemed to be lots of accommodation available, but quite expensive, eventually I found a Studio apartment in Kangaroo Point, which I applied for by email, the rentals being done 'in house'. Together with a letter from my bank stating I had made all mortgage payments on time and I had kept an old rental ref from ten years ago, so sent that too + letter of job offer and any other bit of information they required, thought it a bit much when they asked for shoe size, well ok not quite! They contacted my two personal referees. I felt enormous relief when I had somewhere to go when I landed, even if it was just a blow up mattress and a bottle of bubbly! But realise, it was risky doing all this from the UK, I was lucky as I am happy with the apartment and area.

I had an appointment with the Bank the following day after arrival, opened the account and got a 'debit' card with my full name on. This was used to get my drivers licence. I then went to 'Pickles' auctions to get a car. There is quite a lot of information/pic on each car and its defects on their web site. My husband and I had decided on a Toyota and an ex government car but I would look at them and decide which one to bid on. I feel silly now, but I even got one of the chaps there to open the bonnet of the Prius and I made a comment something like, ummm looks clean. He even had to show me how to turn it on as it is a hybrid, battery and engine car. I can tell anyone who is interested in the auction more if you would like. Anyway, I now had a car. I also joined the library where you can book a pc and go online which is useful in the first instance.

I started work a week later, so far so good. The drive to work can take varying amounts of time, which is frustrating, I have taken 15 mins and I have taken 2.5hrs, if there is a hold up, it seems it really falls apart. People start work early, in my office, it is fully operational at 06:30 but like the Marie Caleste at 16:30 there is nobody there.

The heat has been ok, a bit too sticky sometimes, but nothing too bad so far. I like the rain here, it is not that frequent and generally followed by a blue sky to lift the spirits. The sun seems very harsh, I sat on my balcony reading, in full shade, as soon as the sun moved onto the balcony I moved inside but still I got burnt. I guess reflection, something to bear in mind with young children.

Food prices, I agree with those who say probably the same as the UK. I like the markets at West End and New Farm, prices seem good there and they have a good atmosphere. I think you eat more seasonally here with delicious fruits, unlike those in the UK that just never seem to ripen.

I do get lonely, it is fairly difficult to join things as I work shifts, but I will make an effort over the coming months. My husband is getting the last of the work done on the house in order to rent it out and will then come over, he has already been over for a holiday. I do worry re him finding a job when he gets here, but hope for the best.

I walked today over to the city from Kangaroo Point, via the Botanic gardens, there were families picnicing, people jogging, cyclists whizzing along, with crash helmets with spikes on top to 'pop' the birds, Ibis strutting their stuff in the ponds that had a fill from the recent rain. It was just so lovely.

The key to this I think is research, you can never do too much, it seems silly to say, but it will matter which state you choose, it will matter what area you decide to live, on the way you think about Oz and how you settle. I wish you all well.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 3 Months in Brisbane........

which do you prefer out of brisbane and adelaide and does the auction have a web site,
Thanks
Ronnie
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:33 am
Just Joined

I really liked Adelaide, but so far think Brisbane is more me, especially the weather, Adelaide is a dry heat Brisbane is more humid, which I prefer. I particularly liked the Adelaide hills to live, lovely. So far I really like Kangaroo Point, but that is coming from a non-family perspective and I am still looking at berbs around Brisbane.

This should be the web site, worth a look, althought I think there are some good deals on new cars at the moment. It seemed you needed a Brisbane licence to be able to purchase a car at Pickles. Also to register the car costs you to do at Pickles itself whereas you go to a nearby suburb and register at a gov office it saves you a bit. They did not quite make that clear at Pickles however.

www.pickles.com.au/cars/branch-location/Brisbane
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:04 pm
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

Or try Brisbane Motor Auctions too, based over at Eagle Farm
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sussex3
I really liked Adelaide, but so far think Brisbane is more me, especially the weather, Adelaide is a dry heat Brisbane is more humid, which I prefer. I particularly liked the Adelaide hills to live, lovely. So far I really like Kangaroo Point, but that is coming from a non-family perspective and I am still looking at berbs around Brisbane.

This should be the web site, worth a look, althought I think there are some good deals on new cars at the moment. It seemed you needed a Brisbane licence to be able to purchase a car at Pickles. Also to register the car costs you to do at Pickles itself whereas you go to a nearby suburb and register at a gov office it saves you a bit. They did not quite make that clear at Pickles however.

www.pickles.com.au/cars/branch-location/Brisbane
We are looking to return to Brissy sometime this year. Very interesting about Eagle Farm as there was a job going that would suit my OH but I didnt know where it was

I loved Brissy when I came over from Perth few years ago, it "suited me" hopefully we will be there this year.

Kath
Old Feb 16th 2009, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

lynnhou is an unknown quantity at this point

I have enjoyed and learnt so much reading many updates that I thought I would put together some for anyone still in the pre-Oz days.

I am a little different to many as I have lived in Adelaide (9yrs) and Sydney (1yr) previously, so I did know what I was coming to. My two daughters came over to study at University of Queensland and do not look like returning to Blighty. It was on a trip back to the UK that one of them said why not 'come on down', look on 'Seek' for a job. I did look, I did apply, (I didn't think for a moment they would want an oldie like me) but I did get the job.

They wanted me to come over urgently, so I gave notice and here I am in Brisbane. From the UK I researched an area to rent that was close to work, Eagle Farm, the city and to my daughters who live in Toowong. There seemed to be lots of accommodation available, but quite expensive, eventually I found a Studio apartment in Kangaroo Point, which I applied for by email, the rentals being done 'in house'. Together with a letter from my bank stating I had made all mortgage payments on time and I had kept an old rental ref from ten years ago, so sent that too + letter of job offer and any other bit of information they required, thought it a bit much when they asked for shoe size, well ok not quite! They contacted my two personal referees. I felt enormous relief when I had somewhere to go when I landed, even if it was just a blow up mattress and a bottle of bubbly! But realise, it was risky doing all this from the UK, I was lucky as I am happy with the apartment and area.

I had an appointment with the Bank the following day after arrival, opened the account and got a 'debit' card with my full name on. This was used to get my drivers licence. I then went to 'Pickles' auctions to get a car. There is quite a lot of information/pic on each car and its defects on their web site. My husband and I had decided on a Toyota and an ex government car but I would look at them and decide which one to bid on. I feel silly now, but I even got one of the chaps there to open the bonnet of the Prius and I made a comment something like, ummm looks clean. He even had to show me how to turn it on as it is a hybrid, battery and engine car. I can tell anyone who is interested in the auction more if you would like. Anyway, I now had a car. I also joined the library where you can book a pc and go online which is useful in the first instance.

I started work a week later, so far so good. The drive to work can take varying amounts of time, which is frustrating, I have taken 15 mins and I have taken 2.5hrs, if there is a hold up, it seems it really falls apart. People start work early, in my office, it is fully operational at 06:30 but like the Marie Caleste at 16:30 there is nobody there.

The heat has been ok, a bit too sticky sometimes, but nothing too bad so far. I like the rain here, it is not that frequent and generally followed by a blue sky to lift the spirits. The sun seems very harsh, I sat on my balcony reading, in full shade, as soon as the sun moved onto the balcony I moved inside but still I got burnt. I guess reflection, something to bear in mind with young children.

Food prices, I agree with those who say probably the same as the UK. I like the markets at West End and New Farm, prices seem good there and they have a good atmosphere. I think you eat more seasonally here with delicious fruits, unlike those in the UK that just never seem to ripen.

I do get lonely, it is fairly difficult to join things as I work shifts, but I will make an effort over the coming months. My husband is getting the last of the work done on the house in order to rent it out and will then come over, he has already been over for a holiday. I do worry re him finding a job when he gets here, but hope for the best.

I walked today over to the city from Kangaroo Point, via the Botanic gardens, there were families picnicing, people jogging, cyclists whizzing along, with crash helmets with spikes on top to 'pop' the birds, Ibis strutting their stuff in the ponds that had a fill from the recent rain. It was just so lovely.

The key to this I think is research, you can never do too much, it seems silly to say, but it will matter which state you choose, it will matter what area you decide to live, on the way you think about Oz and how you settle. I wish you all well.
Thanks for that, it has been really interesting to read. We originally looked at Brisbane but they seemed to have a lot of rain or storms this year, or was it not as bad as they said?
We then thought Melbourne, but my husband is still saying to consider Brisbane. We currently live in Tenerife, my husband is a Kitchen and bathroom fitter, but he would also like to run his own cafe. So we are used to warmer temperatures. What would you consider to be the good points of Brisbane? We also have a 2 and half year old daughter to consider for schools.
Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Thanks it is so useful to read other peoples comments who are much further down the line than us. We have finally narrowed down the state to Queensland and like most people have researched every area as much as you can possibly do with the Internet. Have thought about the Gold Coast or Brisbane will depend on jobs Im a secondary teacher and OH a joiner. We are just waiting for my assessment to come back before we can apply on a 175 visa.
Thanks again
Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
We are looking to return to Brissy sometime this year. Very interesting about Eagle Farm as there was a job going that would suit my OH but I didnt know where it was

I loved Brissy when I came over from Perth few years ago, it "suited me" hopefully we will be there this year.

Kath
Kath

Eagle Farm has an industrial area, so quite alot of jobs would be available there. On a good day I can do the trip from Kangaroo Point to Eagle Farm in about 15mins. Some of the mammouth trucks that speed past me would probably say that they could do it faster! But Brisbane does have traffic problems, there is lots of road and tunnel building going on to try to alleviate the problems, but for now it can be slow on a bad day.

Good luck on your return to Brissy, so far I am loving it and certainly both my daughters do. By all means ask any questions and I will try to answer. T
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:52 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Sadly, this is true,

When I first moved to London I used to go on and on about how expensive food was. I remember that grapes cost eight times as much in England as in Australia.

Sadly this is no longer the case. I have spent a huge amount of time in Paris recently, and even in the first arrondissment groceries were cheaper than in Australia.

A cheaper lifestyle should not be a reason to move Down Under.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnhou
Thanks for that, it has been really interesting to read. We originally looked at Brisbane but they seemed to have a lot of rain or storms this year, or was it not as bad as they said?
We then thought Melbourne, but my husband is still saying to consider Brisbane. We currently live in Tenerife, my husband is a Kitchen and bathroom fitter, but he would also like to run his own cafe. So we are used to warmer temperatures. What would you consider to be the good points of Brisbane? We also have a 2 and half year old daughter to consider for schools.
Thanks in advance.
There were storms that hit The Gap area last Oct/Nov in the Brisbane area, there have also been floods further up the coast. It seems Oz is subject to severe weather. Bushfire or flood, both devastating. But if The Gap storms are those you are thinking about, I did hear the wind and looked out to trees being tossed about but most of us were not effected at all. Many people at work did not even hear it. It did have a significant impact on the area but not on the whole of Brisbane.

One thing you will notice, Aussies love to eat out, breakfast, coffee, lunch, dinner, BBQ, drinks, you name it, they seem to partake, now that has to be one of the good reasons to live here! A cafe sounds a great idea, but look at it deeply as there would be plenty of competition.

Your daughter's school will probably be a significant factor to your feeling of being settled, if you think it is a good school and she settles at it well I guess you will feel more positive. I have no experience of schooling in Oz, both daughters went/going to University of Queensland and they thoroughly enjoyed their time there.

Melbourne, is lovely and has to be worth investigation, but for me it seems the weather is more dry hot summers and cooler winters. I have only visited it for a short stay, so could not compare. But what I saw I liked. Would not mind going to live there for a while.

Good luck in your choice of place to live, if you could spare the time and visit both places before deciding it would be worthwhile. I understand this sounds good but there are limitations....money, time etc Please do ask any specific questions and I would be happy to answer if I could. T
Old Feb 19th 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Kath

Eagle Farm has an industrial area, so quite alot of jobs would be available there. On a good day I can do the trip from Kangaroo Point to Eagle Farm in about 15mins. Some of the mammouth trucks that speed past me would probably say that they could do it faster! But Brisbane does have traffic problems, there is lots of road and tunnel building going on to try to alleviate the problems, but for now it can be slow on a bad day.

Good luck on your return to Brissy, so far I am loving it and certainly both my daughters do. By all means ask any questions and I will try to answer. T
Yeh thanks for that!!

We have best mates in Thornlands, we just trying to sort out work and stuff, so hard if we should just the the plunge and come back or trying to maybe send OH out for a few weeks after April (work bonus) and see if he can secure work/

Quite fancy Bayside area (South) as friends there or even Gold Coast.

Thanks for your input

Kath