Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

2 years today arrived in Brisbane

2 years today arrived in Brisbane

Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:15 am
annette

netty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 years today arrived in Brisbane

We left Birmingham and arrived in Brisbane on Friday 13th October 2006 due my husband job offer. We decided to take a chance and thought lets give it a go we can always go home if we don't like it. Our thoughts was better to give it a go than always question what if?
We sorted our rental and was very happy where we stayed, meeting a lovely Ozzy family who are still good friends and are very supportive. We had many a day low especially missing family then after 3 month our eldest daughter who was 17 decided to move back to the UK. The bomb shell no one wants and the last things we ever wanted was to split the family. You think things will get no better but you do find support and gradually find a way with coping. No way was it easy and its still not, but we know she is doing very well in the UK and happy with her job and as brought her own place. So we are very proud, after all its hard for her as well. We have many laughs on the phone and when we visit each other.
Our other daughter who was 15 went into school, for her she made many friends, struggled with the different teaching methods, but found ways to get through difficult times with missing her sister, grand parents and school friends in the UK. She also went and got a part time job and is still working aswell as school and day release in college. Last Friday was her formal and again we where proud parents.
My hubbys work was up and down not the best company especially as we came out on a 457 visa. I don't think people realise how many penalties it puts against you and your childrens future. This still not stopped us, it may have took more work to get things sorted or penalties against us. July 2007 we still brought our house with no problems this helped us settle putting down our roots making it more of a commitment and reaching goals.
I started work in September 2007 and still working for the same company. Must admit ladies it was good been a lady of leisure for 12 months. I made sure i enjoyed my time off. At first i found it hard to go back into work, not so confident but I work with good people. The last 6 month my hubbys work as improved which helps and his more settled and now finishes work normal time instead a late night shift which i found very hard.
Now we are in the process of applying for PR which will open more doors for us and be more secure. As long as it all goes through okay.
We went back to the UK in March for a visit. I do miss some things in the
Uk especially family and friends but only time can change your feelings when you lived most your life in the uk but only a short time in Oz. It was so cold when we went back even the snow came down.. The one morning lying awake 5.00 am and heard a noise but couldn't think what it was. Looking out the window a neighbour was scrapping the ice off his car window screen. You soon forget the sound but not the shiver that goes over your body. I remember everything felt small and the roads so narrow.
Australia is a different life style and it takes time to ajust, take your time in achieving goals, support each other and go out and make friends.
Thank you BE for your help and for the friends we have met along the way
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future
Default Re: 2 yeard today arrived in Brisbane

Originally Posted by netty
We left Birmingham and arrived in Brisbane on Friday 13th October 2006 due my husband job offer. We decided to take a chance and thought lets give it a go we can always go home if we don't like it. Our thoughts was better to give it a go than always question what if?
We sorted our rental and was very happy where we stayed, meeting a lovely Ozzy family who are still good friends and are very supportive. We had many a day low especially missing family then after 3 month our eldest daughter who was 17 decided to move back to the UK. The bomb shell no one wants and the last things we ever wanted was to split the family. You think things will get no better but you do find support and gradually find a way with coping. No way was it easy and its still not, but we know she is doing very well in the UK and happy with her job and as brought her own place. So we are very proud, after all its hard for her as well. We have many laughs on the phone and when we visit each other.
Our other daughter who was 15 went into school, for her she made many friends, struggled with the different teaching methods, but found ways to get through difficult times with missing her sister, grand parents and school friends in the UK. She also went and got a part time job and is still working aswell as school and day release in college. Last Friday was her formal and again we where proud parents.
My hubbys work was up and down not the best company especially as we came out on a 457 visa. I don't think people realise how many penalties it puts against you and your childrens future. This still not stopped us, it may have took more work to get things sorted or penalties against us. July 2007 we still brought our house with no problems this helped us settle putting down our roots making it more of a commitment and reaching goals.
I started work in September 2007 and still working for the same company. Must admit ladies it was good been a lady of leisure for 12 months. I made sure i enjoyed my time off. At first i found it hard to go back into work, not so confident but I work with good people. The last 6 month my hubbys work as improved which helps and his more settled and now finishes work normal time instead a late night shift which i found very hard.
Now we are in the process of applying for PR which will open more doors for us and be more secure. As long as it all goes through okay.
Uk especially family and friends but only time can change your feelings when you lived most your life in the uk but only a short time in Oz. It was so cold when we went back even the snow came down.. The one morning lying awake 5.00 am and heard a noise but couldn't think what it was. Looking out the window a neighbour was scrapping the ice off his car window screen. You soon forget the sound but not the shiver that goes over your body. I remember everything felt small and the roads so narrow.
Australia is a different life style and it takes time to ajust, take your time in achieving goals, support each other and go out and make friends.
thats a lovely story, i too cant wait to be rid of the cold winter

cheryl
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:14 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Annette, Paul & Jessica. A strong family (and good friends).
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

My hubbys work was up and down not the best company especially as we came out on a 457 visa. I don't think people realise how many penalties it puts against you and your childrens future. This still not stopped us, it may have took more work to get things sorted or penalties against us.

Thanks for this update, good to hear things are going well for you.
We are here on 457 visa and hubby dislikes his job, it would be really helpful if you say what you think the penalties are against you & childrens future re 457.

thanks
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed for PR
We must try and catch up soon!!!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:11 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 years today arrived in Brisbane

[/QUOTE]

A heartening story after 2 yrs.

Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you have settled and hope you soon get your PR. I certainly don't miss scraping ice of the car window.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:31 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carbery
Well done Annette, Paul & Jessica. A strong family (and good friends).
arse kisser

something i have always said on her steve........... you get what you put in!
the harder you work at it the better it gets and this family are proof of that. we are lucky enough to know them and know how hard it has been at times, but they have struggled through and when you look at them now, its like another family
the wee yin has came right out of her shell and really enjoying her life here. that make things a lot easier on the parents. we all know that.
if theres a bunch of people who deserve all the good things in life, then this lot do!
but if the aussies let this bunch get PR im oota here, they'll let anyone in

pap, netty and wee jess. we wish you all the luck you have earned and hope the rest of the way is paved in gold

good people deserve a good life and this lot are heading in the right direction!

soapy
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

PAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou everyone for your kind words and especially for other families that have helped us through the bad times.
We still waiting for PR . Soon we have any news you will all find out.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

PAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to let you all know we got PR today
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:08 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAP01
Just to let you all know we got PR today
Woohoo Great news!!!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

shellynelly will become famous soon enoughshellynelly will become famous soon enough

WELL DONE you sound like you really deserve it, good luck for the future
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:30 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Woohoo Great news!!!
i think its about time we left polly ha ha ha
looks like they will let anyone in lmao

well done guys we are so happy to hear your good news i know a lot of people will be delighted with this news
Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:50 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by soapy
i think its about time we left polly ha ha ha
looks like they will let anyone in lmao

well done guys we are so happy to hear your good news i know a lot of people will be delighted with this news
You just love living dangerously, don't you!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

sarahhartopp will become famous soon enoughsarahhartopp will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by netty
Your story is lovely and i cant wait to be wrighting my experiences down for people to read.

i am waiting on my visa and with soon be on my way to brisbane also so while i wait and wait i thought i would get myself together a list of all the things i will need to do once i get out there i.e
open a bank account, register with a doctors and dentist, find a job etc.

so my question is when you left to go to OZ what did you do about your doctors and dentist as in all your files do i tell them im emergrating and will they give my my medical history or do they send it out to you once you have registered with a doctors in OZ? i am aware you can open a bank account before you leave which is what i will do as i will transfer money into it what about getting a driving licence once im out there do i have to take a test? is it easy to join medicare? and i assume you need to get some kind of national insurance type number so that you can work? any tips you can give me or anything i have missed out would be gladly recieved?

Thanks