Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

6 Months in Brisbane !!!!

6 Months in Brisbane !!!!

Old Sep 24th 2008, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

cambridge lot has a brilliant futurecambridge lot has a brilliant futurecambridge lot has a brilliant futurecambridge lot has a brilliant futurecambridge lot has a brilliant futurecambridge lot has a brilliant futurecambridge lot has a brilliant futurecambridge lot has a brilliant future
Default 6 Months in Brisbane !!!!

We have reached the end of our first 6 months in Brisbane. This is our second update on our adventures.

After 2 months with my Uncle we found a rental in Forest Lake, this was after along difficult search, why did we choose Forest Lake, my cousin lives here, the house was a good size and clean!!!! Looked and sounded like a good place to start.
The Kids moved to the local School and settled very quickly making new friends, my son teacher comes from Cherry Hinton (for all those who know cambridge well) it is a very small world.
Husband catches bus into cbd to work as we are still with the one car, which seems to work fine, although we do have plans to buy another. This is for a little more freedom at weekends (OH to go fishing).
I have found myself work which was sooner than planned, after moving into the rental, things became a little quiet with the kids at school so decided a job was in order, only do 3 days a week and a lady I became friends with fortunately does Family day care and had space, so that worked well.
OH comapny who sponsored us on a 457 have agreed to sponsor for permanent, so we are in the process of putting our application together for that, as we do intend to stay.
We have visited a few places, mainly big attractions, done several beaches both Surfers and Gold Coast, have a family weekend booked for Turtle watching end on Jan and planning for whales next week as kids are off school.
Food shopping has become quicker now I figured out the different labelling on some things and also going to Aldi which is always quick, cheap and alot is the same as UK. I have saved lots doing our shop here and going to Saturday market where I do get my meat from, which is fab and very good value, far superior to Woolworths/Coles/Aldi, not much different in price and I can also get some fab sausages (Aussie supermarket sausages are not great).
When I'm not sure on things, I just ask lots of sometimes silly questions, but no-one seems to mind and all a re really happy to help and explain things.
We are looking forward to OH parent arriving early Dec for Xmas, we are off to Sydney for 5 days to do new year fireworks with them. My Family have no plans yet to come over.
Unfortunately, 6 months has not helped my Mother come to terms that I am here and not with her in the UK, even though we speak every 2-3 weeks, the conversations are not great and times it's really difficult, even the kids now find it difficult to speak to her. Haven't spoken to my dad since arriving here, apparently he can't talk to me on the phone. Having communication with Sis in law and brother reg and occassionally with Sister and other Sis in law.
I send emails home reg to keep in touch.
Have had moments of homesickness, they generally don't last long, are based around missing people, my Gran is very old and saying goodbye to her was very hard, I used to do alot for her, my dad had a stroke a few years back, made a complete recovery, but that is always in the back of your mind about another, my main upset is missing my beautiful dogs, who we rehomed to some great friends, we get reg updates on their adventures, then looking outside and realising how lucky we are to have this opportunity helpsto overcome those feelings. We are happier, less stressed even though we are in the same jobs, able to do things as a family which was part of the reason to come. My 3 kids have become amazingly confident and independant, enjoying school very much and becoming involved in many more things with school than in the UK and are I believe encourged more. My eldest girl attitude has changed alot since arriving, for the better.
We eventually sold the UK house, after accepting a very low price, this meant we were down big dollars on buying a house here and not able to afford what we originally intended, (the big fancy house does not bring happiness) we are settling for something alot more modest as we want to live!!! Yesterday we did find that house here in Forest Lake and have signed the contracts. (very different from the uk, we made offer, negotiated, agreed, signed contract - conditional on a few things, mainly build/pest inspection and finance- all in the space of a few hours) So that long hard search has eventually paid off.
We have all thoroughly enjoyed our first 6 months on Oz, I talk the the kids reg about how things are and how they feel, they have no plans to go back to the Uk, neither do we.
I know the waiting in the UK can feel like and eternity, but time does pass, visas do arrive and thing do work out. Our first 6 months have gone by really quickly and now we are just waiting for the SUMMER!!!!!!!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 Months in Brisbane !!!!

Great post, really nice update & good luck in your new home
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Fab post hears to the next 6 months
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by cambridge lot
We have reached the end of our first 6 months in Brisbane. This is our second update on our adventures.

After 2 months with my Uncle we found a rental in Forest Lake, this was after along difficult search, why did we choose Forest Lake, my cousin lives here, the house was a good size and clean!!!! Looked and sounded like a good place to start.
The Kids moved to the local School and settled very quickly making new friends, my son teacher comes from Cherry Hinton (for all those who know cambridge well) it is a very small world.
Husband catches bus into cbd to work as we are still with the one car, which seems to work fine, although we do have plans to buy another. This is for a little more freedom at weekends (OH to go fishing).
I have found myself work which was sooner than planned, after moving into the rental, things became a little quiet with the kids at school so decided a job was in order, only do 3 days a week and a lady I became friends with fortunately does Family day care and had space, so that worked well.
OH comapny who sponsored us on a 457 have agreed to sponsor for permanent, so we are in the process of putting our application together for that, as we do intend to stay.
We have visited a few places, mainly big attractions, done several beaches both Surfers and Gold Coast, have a family weekend booked for Turtle watching end on Jan and planning for whales next week as kids are off school.
Food shopping has become quicker now I figured out the different labelling on some things and also going to Aldi which is always quick, cheap and alot is the same as UK. I have saved lots doing our shop here and going to Saturday market where I do get my meat from, which is fab and very good value, far superior to Woolworths/Coles/Aldi, not much different in price and I can also get some fab sausages (Aussie supermarket sausages are not great).
When I'm not sure on things, I just ask lots of sometimes silly questions, but no-one seems to mind and all a re really happy to help and explain things.
We are looking forward to OH parent arriving early Dec for Xmas, we are off to Sydney for 5 days to do new year fireworks with them. My Family have no plans yet to come over.
Unfortunately, 6 months has not helped my Mother come to terms that I am here and not with her in the UK, even though we speak every 2-3 weeks, the conversations are not great and times it's really difficult, even the kids now find it difficult to speak to her. Haven't spoken to my dad since arriving here, apparently he can't talk to me on the phone. Having communication with Sis in law and brother reg and occassionally with Sister and other Sis in law.
Have had moments of homesickness, they generally don't last long, are based around missing people, my Gran is very old and saying goodbye to her was very hard, I used to do alot for her, my dad had a stroke a few years back, made a complete recovery, but that is always in the back of your mind about another, my main upset is missing my beautiful dogs, who we rehomed to some great friends, we get reg updates on their adventures, then looking outside and realising how lucky we are to have this opportunity helpsto overcome those feelings. We are happier, less stressed even though we are in the same jobs, able to do things as a family which was part of the reason to come. My 3 kids have become amazingly confident and independant, enjoying school very much and becoming involved in many more things with school than in the UK and are I believe encourged more. My eldest girl attitude has changed alot since arriving, for the better.
We eventually sold the UK house, after accepting a very low price, this meant we were down big dollars on buying a house here and not able to afford what we originally intended, (the big fancy house does not bring happiness) we are settling for something alot more modest as we want to live!!! Yesterday we did find that house here in Forest Lake and have signed the contracts. (very different from the uk, we made offer, negotiated, agreed, signed contract - conditional on a few things, mainly build/pest inspection and finance- all in the space of a few hours) So that long hard search has eventually paid off.
We have all thoroughly enjoyed our first 6 months on Oz, I talk the the kids reg about how things are and how they feel, they have no plans to go back to the Uk, neither do we.
I know the waiting in the UK can feel like and eternity, but time does pass, visas do arrive and thing do work out. Our first 6 months have gone by really quickly and now we are just waiting for the SUMMER!!!!!!!

Hi there.........

We live near Bury St Edmunds, know Cherry Hinton quite well!

I also work in Childcare, we are coming over in May time (hopefully) on a student visa initially, transfering to a 457 then to a PR after that. It's been a long hard slog but we'll get there eventually!

It's lovely to read other peoples stories! It's what keeps us all going.........
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

Just thought i would say hi we are moving to Brisbane in a months time 26th Oct, up until last year we lived just outside of Bishops Stortford and used Cambridge all the time, but now we are living in Leigh on Sea, we too are coming over on a 457 visa. We have two children (boys) one of them will be going to school the other is to young. If you fancy a meet up at some point for a drink and a chat that would be great. Pm me if you like.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

sarahhartopp will become famous soon enoughsarahhartopp will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cambridge lot

Your story is lovely and i cant wait to be wrighting my experiences down for people to read.

i am waiting on my visa and with soon be on my way to brisbane also so while i wait and wait i thought i would get myself together a list of all the things i will need to do once i get out there i.e
open a bank account, register with a doctors and dentist, find a job etc.

so my question is when you left to go to OZ what did you do about your doctors and dentist as in all your files do i tell them im emergrating and will they give my my medical history or do they send it out to you once you have registered with a doctors in OZ? i am aware you can open a bank account before you leave which is what i will do as i will transfer money into it what about getting a driving licence once im out there do i have to take a test? is it easy to join medicare? and i assume you need to get some kind of national insurance type number so that you can work? any tips you can give me or anything i have missed out would be gladly recieved?

Thanks
Old Mar 16th 2009, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

bradburns2 is on a distinguished road

Glad you're all settled and well. We all have times of missing the people we love, but as you said they do pass. Hope you have many years of happiness here, all the best.