2 months in Melbourne

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

sally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nice
Smile 2 months in Melbourne

Myself and husband have been in Melb for 2 months now. Found things to be very up and down in this time. We managed to secure a good rental in Elwood and found Elwood village to be really lovely and a chilled place to sit and have a drink and watch the world go by...
So far we would say the positives are:
happy hours at the local bars! Less traffic on the roads, sunny weather (generally). The opportunity to walk along the beach in the afternoon after work.
Negatives:
Missing family and friends & not yet having the social network in place, which in the UK we took for granted. Alcohol outside HH is more expensive. Not as good choice of vegie food (no Linda McCartney sausages!)
Overall, we feel we have made a positive choice to come out here and are so far enjoying the experience!! Definately love Melbourne and feel it is an affordable place to live. We are returning to the UK in July and this has given us something to look forward to in the new year.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:56 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 months in Melbourne

Hey, we're just up the road (Glenhuntley) in Elsternwick

Do you both work? And you say you're going back to UK...is that for a visit?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:18 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the extremely liveable city of Melbourne! There's a curry night organised for Saturday evening if you want to meet a few people. I'm sure there'll be veggie food there.

Here's the curry night thread - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494689

Buzzy

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Dec 4th 2007 at 10:21 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

sally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nice
Smile Re: 2 months in Melbourne

Yes we booked a return flight to the UK when we came out - we ae only going back for a holiday for a few weeks and then we will be returning to Melbourne.
We are definately up for a curry on Saturday at The Curry Club! Sounds like there's a few people interested
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:17 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 2 months in Melbourne

Originally Posted by sally07

We are definately up for a curry on Saturday at The Curry Club! Sounds like there's a few people interested
See you tomorrow Sally!

Buzzy
Old Dec 15th 2007, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

ulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant future

I too struggle with no Linda McCartney foods. I wrote to Heinz about it but they said demand wasnt high enough

I used to live on the entire range over there.

I now eat more fish and find soya mince when I can. Tofu products have come a long way in the 3 years I have been here with a dedicated section now in some supermarkets.

Elwood is very nice, Blue Tongue is a personal favourite as is Baked in Elwood.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 5:46 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sally ... I'll be in touch in the New Year about that coffee (sorry, been busy with work, then away - but not forgotten)
Have a good Christmas
Old Dec 24th 2007, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sally

It was great to meet you and Graham at the Curry Night.

Don't forget, give us a call if you fancy going out for a drink sometime!

Happy Christmas!

Kim & Steve
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

nadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nice

Originally Posted by sally07
Myself and husband have been in Melb for 2 months now. Found things to be very up and down in this time. We managed to secure a good rental in Elwood and found Elwood village to be really lovely and a chilled place to sit and have a drink and watch the world go by...
So far we would say the positives are:
happy hours at the local bars! Less traffic on the roads, sunny weather (generally). The opportunity to walk along the beach in the afternoon after work.
Negatives:
Missing family and friends & not yet having the social network in place, which in the UK we took for granted. Alcohol outside HH is more expensive. Not as good choice of vegie food (no Linda McCartney sausages!)
Overall, we feel we have made a positive choice to come out here and are so far enjoying the experience!! Definately love Melbourne and feel it is an affordable place to live. We are returning to the UK in July and this has given us something to look forward to in the new year.
I SO agree with you about the veggie options. I'm a fishatarian myself (don't eat anything farmed) but for those who don't eat fish or meat the options are few. I've had to start cooking my own stuff and I'm not a great cook. Maybe this is a gap in the market for someone??!!