Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

1st post from the other side!!!

1st post from the other side!!!

Old Feb 5th 2007, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1st post from the other side!!!

Hi Mel, yes we found a rental quite quickly but then again we had people looking before we came out. Not sure about the areas your looking into though I can still only find my way around bayside!lol (still get lost several times a day and thats with sat nav)! My kids go to the catholic schools here, they are sort of semi private schools, not as expensive as some of the private ones but still dearer than state!
My youngest has gone into year 2 here (which apparently is equivalent to year 1 in England), she is finding the work too easy at the moment cause really she has gone back 1 year and 3 months, to be honest they are still settling in her class dont think theyve done too much work yet at all!
Good luck with the move, 3 weeks will fly by now, once your here youll will be fine but prepare yourself for the goodbyes, it is worse than i could have ever imagined. good luck Jox
Old Feb 7th 2007, 12:07 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Aw Glad everything is working out!!!

Kris xx
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Thankyou For The Update Jo So Good To Hear That You Are Settling In Im Hoping To Move To Cairns. I Would Dearly Love To Takethe Dogs Too Is It Very Expensive And Stressful. My Children Are 15 And 12 I Just Hope We Are Doing The Right Thing. Thanks Trudi
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:12 am
Just Joined

juvic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mel,
Just wondered about your job. Did you apply directly to the hopsital and have telephone interview etc, or go through an agency.
I am also a midwife, hubby a carpenter and two kids 7 and 1. we are a way of being there, I have just sent all my info to the ANMC, but interesting to hear how other people are doing it. I think it is also going to be case of me getting job and hubby being at home with kids for a bit ( I am going to be main applicant). Did you find there were lots of jobs?
Thanks and also great to read this thread and see how people have settled, just makes us want to get there all the more quickly!
Vicki
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 10:17 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joanneS
Can't believe weve been here over 3 weeks already! thought id let u all know how we are getting on from sunny Brisbane!
Well 3 weeks ago we said our goodbyes to England and arrived in Bris 2nd Jan, met by Hilary6 and hubbie Keith (who i might say have been really really great to us)! couldnt done it with out them), we have managed to do so much within that time. We are renting our 4 bed bungalow in Redland Bay which is a lovely area, have bought a car, bought loads of furniture, (we decided to only ship 40 boxes over here and leave all the big furniture which im pleased we did now (apart from a few things), weve furnished the house for about $15000 dollars, most of the furniture is cheaper here! lots of cheap furniture stores around!
We drove down to Sydney which took about 12 hours (not much fun with 3 kids in the back of the car)! wish we had flown! We picked our dog up from quarantine (so to everyone who is worried about their dogs flying over dont be), Louie was in perfect health, he is nearly 9 but when we got him he looked like a puppy again, lost 5kg and had been bathed. It was brilliant when we got him as he went berserk at us, so so happy!!
The kids have all settled well so far, they have all joined football clubs and a golf club, they have made friends and seem happy. They all start school next week so only time will tell!
The uniforms where the boys are going are hillarious, havent gone down too well with the eldest, he cant wear any hairgel and has to wear a lovely wide brimmed hat!lol and cant get my head round having to buy every single piece of school equipment they will need for the year including exercise books, writing books, pens papers u name is you have to buy it!
it still feels like a holiday at the moment but will start looking for work next week. anyway good luck to everyone with the move, so far its being great and the 1 thing i recommend is getting msn set up before you go with a webcam and microphone, its been the best invention ever (well apart from Sat Nav that is)LOL!
take care all Jox
A good start for you- well done.