Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Well - Iam ok for a job, but some replied looking for drivers !!

Well - Iam ok for a job, but some replied looking for drivers !!

Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:37 pm
Sunny Alberta!

Geordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to all
Default Re: Well - Iam ok for a job, but some replied looking for drivers !!

Originally Posted by nick61
hi newbie here whats a dvrs abstract sorry but new to this game, trying to go to canada this year reading lots of threads, I drive for camdens at moment but anything will do thanks
Hi nick61, I read on here that the drivers abstract was no good and that some people had problems trying to get one, so OH e-mailed his potential employer about this and all they wanted was a copy of the counterpart licence and they said this was the drivers abstract.

I hope this helps
Old Feb 20th 2009, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

nick61 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi lynne thanks for that sorry late reply been at work
Old Feb 20th 2009, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hi filled in on line app for Challenger no vacc for UK dvrs but said try MIDLAND out of new brunswick are they any good and does anybody have a web adress 4 them thanks nick61
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

https://www.midlandtransport.com/default.aspx?id=48
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that but they only want owner dvrs at moment from web site never mind
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

Originally Posted by nick61
Hi filled in on line app for Challenger no vacc for UK dvrs but said try MIDLAND out of new brunswick are they any good and does anybody have a web adress 4 them thanks nick61

Challenger said what about Uk drivers?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

That they were not taking on DVRS from your area as in the UK ref Gwen at challenger email rec tuesday
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

Oh ok. I just couldnt understand your text speak.

Wonder why they dont. They are one the largest carriers in Canada.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

At the Emigrate show yesterday in Edinburgh and they gave the distinct indication that at this moment companies are feeling the pinch with the economic downturn. Although all seemed to indicate that they expected this to change in the next few months?
Also I get the distinct impression that if you cold call in person then you might get a better result, anyone any views?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dinger24
At the Emigrate show yesterday in Edinburgh and they gave the distinct indication that at this moment companies are feeling the pinch with the economic downturn. Although all seemed to indicate that they expected this to change in the next few months?
Also I get the distinct impression that if you cold call in person then you might get a better result, anyone any views?
Who is 'they'? just general representitives?
I think you are right in feeling the pinch though.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Each province had a stall and I assume that these were either immigration or realtors etc. Either way they wanted you to go as they would make money from you, either you paying them or the get comission on you. In fact there was only one leaflet for a trucking firm in PEI. The geezer on the BC stand said to me the name of the guy to speak to at a firm but he said he is sure they are not hiring at this time.
Also I was told that the only real way was to get my ass out there and cold call in person.
Again I was also told that the East Coast hadnt really felt the effects and was fairly steady in all trades where as to the West all industries were feeling it. Due to the stability felt in Canada in comparison to the EU and America it is also likely that Canada will start to pick back up before the rest of the World? But I am thick as F**K! so dont quote me on that!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

yes i found i got a better response when we came over in august 07 for an interview.
after i had gone to that interview i cold called at companys that i had sent my cv to and had no reply .
imo they get that many cvs that they cant tell who really wants to emigrate so if u tell them u will be over at a certain date u prob will get looked at .
james
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sending a resume, give them a phone call telling them you are coming over to see them seems the right way to prove you are genuine and shows you are keen. Not that I have done this yet, but I can se light at the end of the tunnel and I should get breathing space from my current employment so I will start a concentrated effort then!
Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:10 am
Just Joined

bigtruckerian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigwheels241
As you all know, I am off here soon, ready for the A&W coffee

But for those who have sent massive emails for a driving JOB in Canada, well this arrived back today.

So there is one looking, and NOT via a £7k + ripp-off canadian immigration/employment agency either.......

and

This is a KIS (Keep it simple) email I sent.....so take notice that short is SWEET
Hey Col, (Bigwheels) are u the aussie guy we met in vancouver?

I is Ian the ex-ASDA driver you got a job for !

just wanted to say Thanks !
Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigtruckerian
Hey Col, (Bigwheels) are u the aussie guy we met in vancouver?

I is Ian the ex-ASDA driver you got a job for !

just wanted to say Thanks !

So he IS in Vancouver?
When did you meet him?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.