Wages for Truckers

Old May 6th 2009, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

brown3895 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wages for Truckers

My wife would love to move to canada, i am the one who isnt sure, I am told by yanke that i would be based out of Calgary if i get the job. I am living in Ayrshire in Scotland and its really poor for HGV Work, its got to that point where i am applying for any type of employment, i just need to get a job asap because i am going out of my mind. Plus my wife is used to me being away for long periods of time since i have served in the Armed Forces.
Old May 6th 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me reading your posts, that you only want to immigrate due to desparation,and not because you want to.. I suggest you speak to your sister who lived here and get as much info of her,you mum too...
Your main fear also seems to be if you can pay your bills,well that depends what you throw your money at,and believe me 100s of brits come over with plenty of cash after selling up and are usually bankrupt within a year. Thats when the horror stories begin about bad employers,when 99% of the time its their own fault. I suggest you do more research.
Old May 6th 2009, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

thats all i am doing at the moment is researching. the way of life over in canada is alot better than here in scotland, so thats a big plus. My sister and mother have said it would be a fantastic move for the kids. the wife is hoping we do come over. Yanke has told me the wages to expect if i do the miles, so it does sound too good to be true, thats probably why i am trying to find the catch. If anyone has any info that might help me i would be grateful. Also i have been toying with the idea of coming over to canada for a few years now. just never had incentive, but being unemployed has given me the push to do it.
Old May 6th 2009, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Your concerns are shared by all going to Canada! It is not the money its how you spend it (or the wife does) You will read lots of people on here stating they cant survive on the wages etc (not so much the truckers as most truckers are realists) You will read about the family who sell up in the UK and then move over buy a massive house with loads of land, 2 new cars etc etc etc, then they are finding it hard to buy the wine for evening meal, or to go out every night to the restaurant etc. What I am saying is if you keep it real and live the life style you are accustomed too then you will find that life is affordable, spend it all in the first weekend then you will find 3 weeks of each month are a misery!
Trust me I am out at Edinburgh and I know what you are on about with the work situation up here now.
Make sure that you research for all aspects of what you expect, there are a lot more companies than just Yanke so keep your bridges open but make sure you check out the rest of the firms. Good luck!
Old May 6th 2009, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Cheers for the reply, i have just had Yanke phone me and answer some of the questions that i emailed them. I will be running double manned for the 1st 2 years, which i am used to over here so thats not a problem. She explained a few things which has cleared alot of worries up. So now i am looking forward to going over.
Old May 6th 2009, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Good for you - And all the best, but let us know how it goes!
Old May 6th 2009, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

dunky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brown3895
Cheers for the reply, i have just had Yanke phone me and answer some of the questions that i emailed them. I will be running double manned for the 1st 2 years, which i am used to over here so thats not a problem. She explained a few things which has cleared alot of worries up. So now i am looking forward to going over.
where are you from in ayrshire brown3895
Old May 6th 2009, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

I am in Cumnock now, born in Glasgow (drunchapel) moved to Liverpool when i was 6. So i lived in some mad places, lol...cheers mum
Old May 6th 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

So you are off to Canada,going where the company want you,,did YOU get a choice in the matter ??? Did you or have you even researched where in Canada you might want to live??? How many job applications did send out,just the one ??? Have you recieved a LMO and contract yet ?? have you sold up in Scotland ??? Have done your police checks ??? When do you intend arriving ????
I ask not coz i'm nosey,but because your immigration plans seem very "slap dash" from what i have read thus far
Old May 6th 2009, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

WOW, lol. I am still in the application stage, everything is nearly done my end i only have to get a medical and a police check and that should be me. Medical is next friday. I applied to a few companies and some have got back to me saying they arent taking on at the moment and some just not replying. There are a few lads who i have worked with over here in scotland who know people who have gone over to Yanke and said its a good company to work for. Yanke said it will probably be calgary where i am based. Myself and the wife have been looking into the areas in calgary and where the schools are, i am not just going to get up and go without finding out where everything is first. anymore questions, i am happy to reply. also if you have any info about calgary or Yanke let me know.
Old May 6th 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

WOW, lol. I am still in the application stage, everything is nearly done my end i only have to get a medical and a police check and that should be me. Medical is next friday. I applied to a few companies and some have got back to me saying they arent taking on at the moment and some just not replying. There are a few lads who i have worked with over here in scotland who know people who have gone over to Yanke and said its a good company to work for. Yanke said it will probably be calgary where i am based. Myself and the wife have been looking into the areas in calgary and where the schools are, i am not just going to get up and go without finding out where everything is first. anymore questions, i am happy to reply. also if you have any info about calgary or Yanke let me know.
Calgary thats KB33 patch, hes always helpfull and Yankee, i suggest a PM to LornaD welsh lass her hubby is on for Yankee, so she will most certanly help,if she doesnt tell her i'll come and sort her out

What is you time frame for coming over ??/
Old May 6th 2009, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Cheers for info, They have said 3-4 months and that should be me sorted. I will PM LornaD for some info on Yanke. Cheers once again
Old May 6th 2009, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

dunky is an unknown quantity at this point

Hoi Broonie am fae Ayr fancy a brew in the toon an a chin wag 2moro me the wife n the wain blastin off nxt wed for Calgary .Got a place rented in Okotoks n am going 2 drink aw Kevs tea wen a pop in and c him
Old May 6th 2009, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Argh, gutted. I am off to Liverpool tonight, her nan is not well do she wants to go there straight away. but if ur in calgary keep in touch and we can sort something out over there.
Old May 6th 2009, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunky
Hoi Broonie am fae Ayr fancy a brew in the toon an a chin wag 2moro me the wife n the wain blastin off nxt wed for Calgary .Got a place rented in Okotoks n am going 2 drink aw Kevs tea wen a pop in and c him

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.