Visas

Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visas

Originally Posted by bobthedog
Delirious.

So you are saying that you do not need to have the police checks or anything like that, or the pictures? There is a form that HAS to be filled out. If you are already a migrant worker it is different, but for someone newly arrived, there are other things required..

You do realise I am beginning to think you are another one of my friends incognito. You have gone at all of us when we were the ones wanted to help out.
Sorry, but this is incorrect info. As long as a medical isn't required (only for those working with kids or in healthcare, so not applicable for a truck driver), then a TWP can easily be applied for at the airport - that's how most people do it. No need to fill in any forms first either, just turn up with job offer letter and LMO, and a TWP is issued on the spot.

Info is in the Wiki - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 15th 2011 at 1:05 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

So all that we were told in recent years is untrue then? I didn't have to wait for the CR search to arrive before completing my application for a TWP? I think, if I were to look, I would still be able to find the letter telling me they would not be able to complete my application for the TWP until D&C Police sent me the record search..

I know things had changed, but you are saying that they now accept anyone without proof of their good character and I do not believe that.

And yeah, any Wiki is 100% right, isn't it?
Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hundreds of people on the forum have got TWP at POE, it's really no big deal and the most popular way of doing it. I'm sorry, but your info is incorrect, and KB33 is right.

Some people do have to apply via a visa office (as I said, if they need a medical, or if they are from a country that needs a TRV to enter Canada), but most UK citizens don't.

If you want to do a quick search in the Canada immigration forum, you'll find lots of threads about going over and getting TWP at POE, or you could start a thread of your own to ask about those who have done it recently if you like.

Edit: if you don't believe the Wiki, here is the CIC operational manual for foreign workers - section 5.23 is what you need to read for info on applying for TWP at POE. That will give you the info from 'the horses mouth' as it were. HTH. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 15th 2011 at 1:28 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

When we came over,we had work visas issued from the High Commission in London,but still had to delay our arrival for a week or two because my existing CR search had expired (they only last 6 months) and a new one had to be expedited to me.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
When we came over,we had work visas issued from the High Commission in London,but still had to delay our arrival for a week or two because my existing CR search had expired (they only last 6 months) and a new one had to be expedited to me.
You certainly can apply via London (or whichever visa office is applicable), but could also have applied at POE if you'd wished, as per the info and link above. Unless things were different when you applied (police checks now have to be less than 3 months old when submitted, so things do change in immigration regularly) of course.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

peterlee_flyer is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with Kev on this one. Arrived at Halifax with a my LMO and contract of employment, went to the immigration desk, paid my fee and got a 2 year work permit. Dead easy. The only person that wanted to see my police certificate was my potential empolyer, before he offered me the job. This was so I could come over and start work, safe in the knowledge that I wouldn't meet any obstacles when i came to apply for Nomination. As the poster is going to Ontario, this isn't an issue.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

dave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud of

Don't try to stir, Kev. It won't work. This is probably the first contact Dave and I have had in 4 months and it isn't contact, just our points of view happen to be similar.

So you are saying that you are able to ask for a work permit at POE without having been through all the various screens that weed out potential abductors, criminals et al? You are saying that they will just issue anyone with a work permit as long as they have a job?

Tell you what, I will ask at the border when I get chance, or maybe Dave can as he crosses more often than me. See, I think that is not the case and I would never say to someone to just turn up with a quarter of the paperwork.
He has been stirring it since beginning of the year, must have such a sad existance
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dave_lol66
He has been stirring it since beginning of the year, must have such a sad existance
Just an observation , I think it's so nice to see you both all " loved up "again
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 5:28 am
Just Joined

brianthomas is an unknown quantity at this point

I am an American. I have just gotten a job offer.. I had to explain to my prospective employer how to apply for an LMO but he was happy to do it.

I have a TWP Application that I downloaded from the CIC. As I understand it, I need to give them $150 when I turn in the TWP application and then I need to wait for my application to be approved. Then I can go to a Port of Entry and pick up my work permit. Did they change the rules or am I suppose to do it differently because I am an American citizen? it seems like some people got their LMO and job offer and then flew to Canada with $150 and were welcomed in with open arms while the rest of us are waiting on work permits to be approved from our home countries wasting time for no reason.

PS
I know that this place is for British Expats but there aren't any similar websites for American truck drivers in Canada. Besides you guys seem to have a good handle on what is going on. Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

In a sense it is exactly the same for you as for us. We apply directly to a foreign consulate when we first start out, though, so the waiting times are less there, and we pick up our TWPs at point of entry the same way you will.

The application you would have submitted is to Vegreville I expect, and the waiting times there are several months. That would explain your delay.

In theory, if you had the job offer, record search, application, a copy of the LMO and the fee then you could simply arrive at the border and process it there but I would be more inclined to wait for the letter of approval and then arrive.

It is a pain in the ass, but it will work out in the end for you.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

garvs11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I arrived at Halifax lmo and job offer in hand and was told im not eligible for a work permit as i didnt have a canadian truck licence.Although this was rectified a few days later in Charlottetown by issuing me with a residents visa i was never asked for a criminal record certificate.It all depends on which jobs worth you deal with on your poe.

YNWA
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

In a sense it is exactly the same for you as for us. We apply directly to a foreign consulate when we first start out, though, so the waiting times are less there, and we pick up our TWPs at point of entry the same way you will.

The application you would have submitted is to Vegreville I expect, and the waiting times there are several months. That would explain your delay.

In theory, if you had the job offer, record search, application, a copy of the LMO and the fee then you could simply arrive at the border and process it there but I would be more inclined to wait for the letter of approval and then arrive.

It is a pain in the ass, but it will work out in the end for you.
Duh dont think so Bob, he has a valid LMO, he has a writen offer of employment thats all he needs to go to the border and get a WP. Whats this with consulates & Vegie Ville This might help clarify things... http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-t...work-visa.html

Last edited by Gremmie; Aug 23rd 2011 at 10:18 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Because he said he had applied, Gremmie. To apply from the US he would have either applied to Washington or to Vegreville. I know that is all you need, but if the application has been submitted then he will have to wait for it to arrive.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Because he said he had applied, Gremmie. To apply from the US he would have either applied to Washington or to Vegreville. I know that is all you need, but if the application has been submitted then he will have to wait for it to arrive.
ok 10/4
Actually I would have thought that US citizans would go through a different route alltogether what with NAFTA etc.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

berkoboy has a spectacular aura aboutberkoboy has a spectacular aura aboutberkoboy has a spectacular aura about

Turned up at Toronto Tues 23rd, LMO and contract. Paid my $150 got TWP for 2 years, no problem. Criminal record check only needed by employer before issuing contract.