Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Vacancies in Regina (sshhh don't tell the mods)

Vacancies in Regina (sshhh don't tell the mods)

Old Feb 29th 2012, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

dustyhoward is just really nicedustyhoward is just really nicedustyhoward is just really nicedustyhoward is just really nicedustyhoward is just really nicedustyhoward is just really nicedustyhoward is just really nicedustyhoward is just really nice
Default Re: Vacancies in Regina (sshhh don't tell the mods)

I've got an interview with loblaws in England next Thursday so they are ok to work for any idea on the money side
Old Feb 29th 2012, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

dustyhoward is just really nicedustyhoward is just really nicedustyhoward is just really nicedustyhoward is just really nicedustyhoward is just really nicedustyhoward is just really nicedustyhoward is just really nicedustyhoward is just really nice

I've got an interview next Thursday in England for loblaws whats the money like
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dustyhoward
Google:
"British Truckers Abroad" and look under the "Working in Canada" forum and all will be explained.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dustyhoward
As a comparison, their basic mileage rate is nearly half what I am getting with a different Canadian company!
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mickfly
As a comparison, their basic mileage rate is nearly half what I am getting with a different Canadian company!
But its not just about the mileage rate is it ?

The company I came over with only pay .29c mile ( less 5 years ago ) There were many other things you would get paid for during the course of a shift which would make up the overall pay packet.

Its only a small part of the overall pay structure , an easy calculation would be to divide gross pay by hours worked = hourly rate , That would be a good indicator on the wether the pay is decent or not .

I bet many OTR drivers would be uncomfortable with that calculation .

Last edited by kb33; Mar 3rd 2012 at 3:41 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kb33

The company I came over with only pay .29c mile ( less 5 years ago ) There were many other things you would get paid for during the course of a shift which would make up the overall pay packet.

Its only a small part of the overall pay structure , an easy calculation would be to divide gross pay by hours worked = hourly rate , That would be a good indicator on the wether the pay is decent or not .

Divide gross pay by hours available at 'work' maybe?

Mine works out at $25 per hour for the last few months, plus a quarterly safety bonus of 3c per mile and some layover pay, and of course, the tax advantage of OTR in night out allowances.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

$25 an hour at flat rate plus a few grand for spending countless nights in a tin box , working weekends stat hols 14/16 hour shifts , Not to mention time off spent in the Claresholm Hilton ..no thanks

Think I would rather be a trolly dolly , But Eh each to their own an all that
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

$25 an hour at flat rate plus a few grand for spending countless nights in a tin box , working weekends stat hols 14/16 hour shifts , Not to mention time off spent in the Claresholm Hilton ..no thanks

Think I would rather be a trolly dolly , But Eh each to their own an all that
Haven't done over 12 hrs shift since I've been back!
Weekends are not a problem with me.
Claresholm Hilton is temporary. (better than 3 day resets at the High River kill plant with H&R!)
Tin box suits me, as a Gypo LOL.
I would rather NOT be a trolly dolly, but yes, each to their own

Last edited by mickfly; Mar 3rd 2012 at 4:29 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Something I've been saying on the ex-pat forums since about 2005!!!!

Nice to see some of you ex-pat truckers have "adopted" some of my quotes:

"Meat in the seat drivers"
"Sleeping in a tinbox"

$700 take home for nightshifts isn't great is it?
I know they shouldn't but any potential "new blood" will convert that figure back to UK £'s and wonder!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Would have thought this move would suit you BT ? After all its what you have been looking for , I know the wage isn't brilliant , but there would be enough in the BT piggy bank to see you through to PR surely ? Then you could move out west and start earning the big bucks

Not what Loblaws or the SNIP want I know , But there will more than a few casualties along the way .

$700 a week is about 420 pounds take home , Isn't that what most HGV drivers in the UK take home these days ? Got to be close to average anyhow .
Old Mar 4th 2012, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Would have thought this move would suit you BT ? After all its what you have been looking for , I know the wage isn't brilliant , but there would be enough in the BT piggy bank to see you through to PR surely ? Then you could move out west and start earning the big bucks

Not what Loblaws or the SNIP want I know , But there will more than a few casualties along the way .

$700 a week is about 420 pounds take home , Isn't that what most HGV drivers in the UK take home these days ? Got to be close to average anyhow .
£420 is abit low? Not far out maybe £50 more.

What is wrong with going to the west & getting PR in your parish? I know it takes longer in Alberta, but if you're happy where you work & the money is ok, whats the rush?
Old Mar 4th 2012, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by alandoug
£420 is abit low? Not far out maybe £50 more.

What is wrong with going to the west & getting PR in your parish? I know it takes longer in Alberta, but if you're happy where you work & the money is ok, whats the rush?
Well BT would have to do Long Haul in AB , This job isn't Long Haul , He's been saying for years he would like to make the move but dosen't want to do the time spent away from home , Understandable , but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

KB33,

you are 100% correct, this job sounds right up my street but SK and Regina were not really the province OR city I was looking at.

Am I right in thnking its probably the coldest Province in Canada, apart from the more Northern ones?
Regina not really close to anything "decent" to visit on a weekend off?
SK really as "flat and boring" as alot of you make out?

Problem at home is:
I've sunk a right bit of dough into some tax free ISA's and SIPP's the past five years and they're doing quite well/Just signed for an "Offset" mortgage waiting on three 25yr endowments maturing in 2015 and the kids are well settled into a very good primary school a 5minute WALK from our front door.

Landed a well paid dayshift "trolley dolly" job in Oct 2011 working for a good long time established NI company(Henderson Wholesale)who deliver to all 420 Spar/Eurospar/Vivo stores in NI and there's NEVER a dull moment!!!
IE tomorrow off to Co.Fermanagh@ 5am in a handy 6x2 Premium rigid to drive approx 420km roundtrip to deliver to FIVE stores with about 15cages and will be finished@ about 2pm!!!

Put quite simply and to use an auld NI saying:
"I'm on the pigs back"!!!
Old Mar 20th 2012, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

cmetty41 is an unknown quantity at this point

is it true loblaw r paying around 1700 dollars a week or is that to good to be true
that is doing 6 on 2 off
Old Mar 20th 2012, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

cmetty41 is an unknown quantity at this point

What is a good canadian area to live in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.