Trucking in New Zealand

Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Trucking in New Zealand

Originally Posted by andy480
Hi Phil

Hoping to come over to visit NZ in new year for 4 weeks touring with plans (if i like the place) to moving permanently in a year or so.

What sort of driving jobs are usually available?
Container work? |Shops and stores distribution? general haulage?

And i see from other sites the workng/driving hours change soon?
Would it improve the wages in any way?

Do drivers need medicals after 45 like uk?

Also are do drivers do many "nights-out"?

Ta

Andy
Hi Andy

Driving jobs are varied, there is general haulage over here called linehaul which can be flat deck, curtainsider, B Train. Also log truck driving, tanker driving and container work. Same kind of stuff as everywhere else general distribution. Jobs are easy to get when you are over here, wages are poor and no I don't see anything changing that especially with the weak dollar. So on average $17.00 an hour and unless you get on shift work which is often 6am to 6pm then the likelihood is you will be required to do 14 - 15 hour days...but that is the way you get a liveable wage!

Nights out are very rare 'cos the cabs are not sleepers and your company has to pay for you to stay in a motel and top that up with night out money so they usually get you back...I have never done a single night out yet been here over a year and done linehaul now on logging. More likely to happen if you go to the South Island as they end up coming over here to the North to Welly or Auckland quite often.

Not sure on the med front but don't think so. When you come over if coming for longer than 12 months you have to have a med done, keep a copy to give to your employer then they won't ask you to have another one done but no it doesn't seem to be done other than when you start work over here...well my first company wanted me to have one but the company I am with now didn't.

Roads can be a bit crap but the jobs are pretty laidback hassle free.

Phil
Old Aug 31st 2007, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by andy480
Hi Phil

Hoping to come over to visit NZ in new year for 4 weeks touring with plans (if i like the place) to moving permanently in a year or so.

What sort of driving jobs are usually available?
Container work? |Shops and stores distribution? general haulage?

And i see from other sites the workng/driving hours change soon?
Would it improve the wages in any way?

Do drivers need medicals after 45 like uk?

Also are do drivers do many "nights-out"?

Ta

Andy
Medicals, when you renew your class 3-5 (HGV) licence
or are getting the same for the first time.

Brits, changing over to a Kiwi licence do not need one.

Oh, that means a medical every ten years.

The eye testing machines run by the AA are an absolute
pain.
I had to pay to see an optician, he gave me a letter for
them stating they needed to get their act together.

Oh,he did put down I could only drive rigs with external
mirrors fitted.
Yep,they put that down.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kato33
Oooohhhhh you little star.

Thanks for the advice.

Will have to keep in touch I think so I can pick your brains some more.
Remember, most NZ operations are small compared to
the UK, having your classes 3-5 (HGV) would be handy,
but you may find it a bit easier over here if you have no
truck licences at all, and want to train for the above.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Dolly Daydream will become famous soon enoughDolly Daydream will become famous soon enough

My hubby has a class 1 (Articulated Licence) and an international C.P.C. and used to hold an international operator's licence to operate 6 vehicles as a small transport business in the UK. Is any of this of any use to NZ? Would he need a NZ operator's licence (like the UK) to operate his own vehicle / number of vehicles? Would he need to obtain any NZ qualifications? In NZ are there restrictions on driver's hours ie tachos or driver's log sheets and if so, what are the restrictions? If anyone can help answer any or all of these questions we would be really grateful.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dolly Daydream
My hubby has a class 1 (Articulated Licence) and an international C.P.C. and used to hold an international operator's licence to operate 6 vehicles as a small transport business in the UK. Is any of this of any use to NZ? Would he need a NZ operator's licence (like the UK) to operate his own vehicle / number of vehicles? Would he need to obtain any NZ qualifications? In NZ are there restrictions on driver's hours ie tachos or driver's log sheets and if so, what are the restrictions? If anyone can help answer any or all of these questions we would be really grateful.
Phil01 will be able to answer this........

There is a CPC equivalent. I will search for the link and send it on.

Drivers use log books and most drive 70 hour weeks. I know that they drive 5.5 instead of 4.5 hours before a break.

OH is a driver and we are going over in Jan. I also hold a CPC and hope to convert it. Will defo look for the link.

Nici
Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Ditto Nici's response.

Drivers hours change from 1st October to max of 14 a day instead of 15.
You should be able to find the answers you want re: op licences from NZ road transport web site.