Trucking in New Zealand

Old Aug 27th 2007, 2:25 am
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northland New Zealand
Posts: 587
phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Trucking in New Zealand

Well looked at a few threads on here and it all seems to be related to Canada so thought I would make a start for our neck of the woods...

UK to NZ

Max hours, low pay, home every night and I'm loving it!
phil01 is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2007, 6:55 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
DAVIE_MAC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: British Virgin Islands
Posts: 1,550
DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Trucking in New Zealand

Originally Posted by phil01 View Post
Well looked at a few threads on here and it all seems to be related to Canada so thought I would make a start for our neck of the woods...

UK to NZ

Max hours, low pay, home every night and I'm loving it!
Sweet Baby Jesus and the Orphans......

Are you the only one out there then as nobody is playing.

Cmon KIWI's tell us your stories about NZ as originally it was our first choice of country. However out of about 40 emails I sent to companies guess how many replies I got.......................

0
DAVIE_MAC is offline  
Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:33 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northland New Zealand
Posts: 587
phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Trucking in New Zealand

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC View Post
Sweet Baby Jesus and the Orphans......

Are you the only one out there then as nobody is playing.

Cmon KIWI's tell us your stories about NZ as originally it was our first choice of country. However out of about 40 emails I sent to companies guess how many replies I got.......................

0
mmmm you would think I am the only one! Possibly the only one that is in NZ looking on this forum! Quite a few are looking to move over soon.

Yep can relate was a pain trying to get a job, but I am a log truck driver, enjoy the work, home every night but work 15 hours a day, getting residency based on the wife and enjoying NZ

So where are you...Canada? That was my original choice but the wife swayed my opinion to NZ.
phil01 is offline  
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:16 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 80
tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future
Default Re: Trucking in New Zealand

Originally Posted by phil01 View Post
mmmm you would think I am the only one! Possibly the only one that is in NZ looking on this forum! Quite a few are looking to move over soon.

Yep can relate was a pain trying to get a job, but I am a log truck driver, enjoy the work, home every night but work 15 hours a day, getting residency based on the wife and enjoying NZ

So where are you...Canada? That was my original choice but the wife swayed my opinion to NZ.
I am a retired kiwi transport/ contracting type,sadly it seems
nothing has changed and companys are still cutting each
others throats to get the work.

Of course a lot of that throat cutting ends up with drivers not
getting the hourly rate they deserve for the responsibility and
productivity we have today.

That is why I give a rather hollow laugh when I hear greater
productivity will bring wage increases.

Oh,do remember, all NZ car +4WD drivers are idiots, who
have a wish to decorate the grill of a rig.
tehori is offline  
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:40 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northland New Zealand
Posts: 587
phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Trucking in New Zealand

Well hourly rates vary from $13.50 to drive a car transporter in Hamilton, $15.00 tanker driving in Auckland, $16.00 linehaul most places and log truck driving between $17.50 and $20.00. Not great liveable because you do 70 hours a week.
phil01 is offline  
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:43 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
kato33's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Rotorua, NZ
Posts: 1,070
kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trucking in New Zealand

Originally Posted by phil01 View Post
mmmm you would think I am the only one! Possibly the only one that is in NZ looking on this forum! Quite a few are looking to move over soon.

Yep can relate was a pain trying to get a job, but I am a log truck driver, enjoy the work, home every night but work 15 hours a day, getting residency based on the wife and enjoying NZ

So where are you...Canada? That was my original choice but the wife swayed my opinion to NZ.
Hi all,

I emailed loads of companies but eventually.........we got an offer.
Contract has now been recieved via the post and they have given us a year to get there. Can't be bad.

Tehori, I may have to pick your brains matey. I have just done my transport managers exmas here, any chance of finding work out there? I have been told its mainly for ex drivers.

We should be there very soon so keep your ears/eyes open will ya lads.

Nici
kato33 is offline  
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:32 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 80
tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future
Default Re: Trucking in New Zealand

Originally Posted by kato33 View Post
Hi all,

I emailed loads of companies but eventually.........we got an offer.
Contract has now been recieved via the post and they have given us a year to get there. Can't be bad.

Tehori, I may have to pick your brains matey. I have just done my transport managers exmas here, any chance of finding work out there? I have been told its mainly for ex drivers.

We should be there very soon so keep your ears/eyes open will ya lads.

Nici
As a transport manager, difficult , companies would want you
to know the local conditions etc.

And yes, often a driver is promoted out of one seat to
another.

Better to come looking for a driving job before trying for a
position keeping all the balls in the air at once


What area of NZ do you hope to live ?
tehori is offline  
Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:30 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
kato33's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Rotorua, NZ
Posts: 1,070
kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trucking in New Zealand

Originally Posted by tehori View Post
As a transport manager, difficult , companies would want you
to know the local conditions etc.

And yes, often a driver is promoted out of one seat to
another.

Better to come looking for a driving job before trying for a
position keeping all the balls in the air at once


What area of NZ do you hope to live ?

We should be moving to Tauranga in BoP. OH has a job offer with TD Haulage if you have heard of them. They drive Kenworths by all accounts.

As for the office side for me, I don't have a HGV so looks like business administrator unless I can convince the guys that I know what I am doing.
Its a very intense exam here and I have contacted land transport to have the books sent to me so I can get some knowledge on rules and regs but they didn't even reply........gits. I will need something to hopefully do WTR. I am not coming back to the UK no matter what, even if it means moving to IRAQ
kato33 is offline  
Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:21 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Luton UK
Posts: 245
deannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant future
Default Re: Trucking in New Zealand

Hi,just want to pick some brains about the visa's for NZ.Are there the different visa's as there are for OZ,perm residency and temp had a quick look on the immigration site and was going round in circles but they all seem temp even if you have a job offer?.Never really considered NZ before but must admit it looks a beautiful country.If any one can give me some pointers in the right direction,that would be a great help.Is your HGV recognized in NZ or do you have to resit a test?Is the visa a points based one as well.Sorry about all the questions but i don't like getting stuck on the internet until the weekend.

Thanks Dean
deannos is offline  
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:36 pm
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northland New Zealand
Posts: 587
phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Trucking in New Zealand

Originally Posted by deannos View Post
Hi,just want to pick some brains about the visa's for NZ.Are there the different visa's as there are for OZ,perm residency and temp had a quick look on the immigration site and was going round in circles but they all seem temp even if you have a job offer?.Never really considered NZ before but must admit it looks a beautiful country.If any one can give me some pointers in the right direction,that would be a great help.Is your HGV recognized in NZ or do you have to resit a test?Is the visa a points based one as well.Sorry about all the questions but i don't like getting stuck on the internet until the weekend.

Thanks Dean
Hi yes most truckers come on a renewable temporary visa which is initially for 3 years, the perm res is done on a points system and having a job helps but you must also be classed as skilled migrant or earning over $50k a year for 40 hours...it is difficult for truckers to do however you can become an owner driver really easy and get pr that way.

HGV is recognised and all Brits have 1 year on their existing licence then you need to sit a scratch card theory test...very easy, then you have your NZ licence.

You do need a job offer to get a work visa...plenty of agencies to help but avoid NZ4U very expensive, I can pm you a good agency who do it all for you but costs 1500.00 GBP.

Any questions feel free to get back to me.

Phil
phil01 is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2007, 2:15 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 80
tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future
Default Re: Trucking in New Zealand

Originally Posted by kato33 View Post
We should be moving to Tauranga in BoP. OH has a job offer with TD Haulage if you have heard of them. They drive Kenworths by all accounts.

As for the office side for me, I don't have a HGV so looks like business administrator unless I can convince the guys that I know what I am doing.
Its a very intense exam here and I have contacted land transport to have the books sent to me so I can get some knowledge on rules and regs but they didn't even reply........gits. I will need something to hopefully do WTR. I am not coming back to the UK no matter what, even if it means moving to IRAQ
Some of the larger firms have transport managers who
have never had a left leg workout on a Spicer clutch,
soccer playing types they are.

In your shoes I would get an admin job with a transport
firm, then switch over to dispatching to climb the ladder.
tehori is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2007, 5:47 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Luton UK
Posts: 245
deannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant future
Default Re: Trucking in New Zealand

Originally Posted by phil01 View Post
Hi yes most truckers come on a renewable temporary visa which is initially for 3 years, the perm res is done on a points system and having a job helps but you must also be classed as skilled migrant or earning over $50k a year for 40 hours...it is difficult for truckers to do however you can become an owner driver really easy and get pr that way.

HGV is recognised and all Brits have 1 year on their existing licence then you need to sit a scratch card theory test...very easy, then you have your NZ licence.

You do need a job offer to get a work visa...plenty of agencies to help but avoid NZ4U very expensive, I can pm you a good agency who do it all for you but costs 1500.00 GBP.

Any questions feel free to get back to me.

Phil
So if you can't get pr then do you just keep getting temp visa's.If you could pm that agency as well please Phil.I will have a load of questions in time,thanks for your help so far.

Dean
deannos is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:54 am
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northland New Zealand
Posts: 587
phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Trucking in New Zealand

Originally Posted by deannos View Post
So if you can't get pr then do you just keep getting temp visa's.If you could pm that agency as well please Phil.I will have a load of questions in time,thanks for your help so far.

Dean
Yes you can get renewable work visa for as long as the skill is on the shortage list...which will probably be for many years to come!
phil01 is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:54 am
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
 
kato33's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Rotorua, NZ
Posts: 1,070
kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trucking in New Zealand

Originally Posted by tehori View Post
Some of the larger firms have transport managers who
have never had a left leg workout on a Spicer clutch,
soccer playing types they are.

In your shoes I would get an admin job with a transport
firm, then switch over to dispatching to climb the ladder.
Oooohhhhh you little star.

Thanks for the advice.

Will have to keep in touch I think so I can pick your brains some more.
kato33 is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2007, 11:08 am
  #15  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 13
andy480 will become famous soon enoughandy480 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Trucking in New Zealand

Originally Posted by phil01 View Post
Well looked at a few threads on here and it all seems to be related to Canada so thought I would make a start for our neck of the woods...

UK to NZ

Max hours, low pay, home every night and I'm loving it!
Hi Phil

Hoping to come over to visit NZ in new year for 4 weeks touring with plans (if i like the place) to moving permanently in a year or so.

What sort of driving jobs are usually available?
Container work? |Shops and stores distribution? general haulage?

And i see from other sites the workng/driving hours change soon?
Would it improve the wages in any way?

Do drivers need medicals after 45 like uk?

Also are do drivers do many "nights-out"?

Ta

Andy
andy480 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.