A Trucker to be?

Old Sep 16th 2007, 10:55 am
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice
Default A Trucker to be?

Hi,
Long story, so will not go into too much detail. I am a nurse, female, and not built like a mountain. But i have always wanted to take my truck license, and maybe even give it ago part time, so i started the process a few months ago, i passed the medical, and passed the theory here in the UK.

The problems i have with it all, and would like to ask all you big truckers some advice if you would be kind enough to help me out?

1) Are there any cheaper ways in getting your pratical lessons done. Its just the cheapest i can find for my first part Class 2 is £900.00 plus the test fee at the end of the week around £90.00. So in all £1000.00, and if i fail, around £320.00 per retest, i am only a nurse. Are there any cheaper options to learn.

2) If i pass my Class 2 then Class 1 i have been told by agencies that i will not get a job because i will have no experience, basically, no one will employ you as a "just passed your test" Shocking, is this true, just makes me think you have to start somewhere, how did you big truckers get started, any advice welcome.

3) I am planning to move to Australia in the future, from what i can gather, your Class 1 and 2 does not count over there, you have to take a retest, which i am very dissapointed in, any experieces with this.

Like i said i am a nurse, and i would like to start trucking part time, top up my wages, i love the idea of driving those big trucks. Any feedback is very much appreciated, i have no one else to ask?

Thanks
Old Sep 16th 2007, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

paulburt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Trucker to be?

the prices you've quoted seem very high to me, in this area at least you can get a full coarse to get you through class2 and class1 for under a grand!
you'll find as with most things agencies etc will have all this minimum experience etc until they can't find a driver for a job then all that goes out the window, plus theres a lot of firms who will take you on and train you in house for your tests etc but obviously they want you to commit to them fulltime job wise.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 11:40 am
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

Originally Posted by paulburt
in this area at least you can get a full coarse to get you through class2 and class1 for under a grand!

You have any links, i will travel then B and B etc?

Also

You know any companies sponsoring etc?

Thanks
Old Sep 17th 2007, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Ian and Deb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sooty and Sweep,

Have you tried asking the same question on here. They have a "New and Wannabe drivers" section and by introducing yourself and letting them know your local area, someone will be able to recommend a reputable training firm near by.

I have just paid £747 to get my class 1 license with a further re-test @ £230, so not quite as high as your original post and these figures include the test fee. I am based in the West Midlands so this may not be of use to you.

As for the work afterwards, some agencies are willing to take a risk on you. When I passed my Class 2 three years ago I walked straight into a job with 3663 through an agency.

Likewise now with my class 1, I have found an agency willing to put me into Spar two weeks after passing, working just weekends while I gain valuable experience. My first weekend was shunting trailers onto the bays (doesn't get much tougher in class 1), since then I have been delivering to shops.

You're looking at taking you're class 2 at the right time of year, over the next few months more drivers are required to deal with the Christmas rush and you'll find that experience goes out of the window if it means the agency will loose money by not supplying a driver.

Hope this helps.

Ian.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

just a thought.....if you're planning to emigrate why not do your truck licence in the new country,,here in Canada you'd get your Class1 for about 3600$-4000$. Plus Nurses are in great demand aswell as truck drivers So why waist your money in the UK
Old Sep 18th 2007, 9:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Ian and Deb
Hi Sooty and Sweep,

Have you tried asking the same question on here. They have a "New and Wannabe drivers" section and by introducing yourself and letting them know your local area, someone will be able to recommend a reputable training firm near by.

I have just paid £747 to get my class 1 license with a further re-test @ £230, so not quite as high as your original post and these figures include the test fee. I am based in the West Midlands so this may not be of use to you.

As for the work afterwards, some agencies are willing to take a risk on you. When I passed my Class 2 three years ago I walked straight into a job with 3663 through an agency.

Likewise now with my class 1, I have found an agency willing to put me into Spar two weeks after passing, working just weekends while I gain valuable experience. My first weekend was shunting trailers onto the bays (doesn't get much tougher in class 1), since then I have been delivering to shops.

You're looking at taking you're class 2 at the right time of year, over the next few months more drivers are required to deal with the Christmas rush and you'll find that experience goes out of the window if it means the agency will loose money by not supplying a driver.

Hope this helps.

Ian.
Ian,
Thanks for the information, could i ask, do you have any links to the training school you used, i will call them, mail them etc, do they have a website? I have relatives in the West Midlands, so accomodation is no problem.

Gremmie, paulburt, and Ian,
Thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Ian and Deb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
Ian,
Thanks for the information, could i ask, do you have any links to the training school you used, i will call them, mail them etc, do they have a website? I have relatives in the West Midlands, so accomodation is no problem.

Gremmie, paulburt, and Ian,
Thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.
Hi Sooty and Sweep.

I took my class 1 with a company called West Midlands Transport Training based in Aldridge.

I have just contacted their office and the latest fees are £770.50 for a five day course (plus £244.10 for a re-test if required). Both of these figures include the test fee.

The company has a class 2 Volvo FM7 and a class 1 Volvo FM12 both of which look the same inside so there is no re-familiarizing to a new vehicle when you take your class 1.

Contact details are John Kennard on 01922 458110.

I took my class 2 with a company called Central Transport Training based in Wolverhampton. This was 4 years ago though, so I don't know what their rates are. They do have a website though which is here

Hope this helps.

Ian.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 3:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ian and Deb
Hi Sooty and Sweep.

I took my class 1 with a company called West Midlands Transport Training based in Aldridge.

I have just contacted their office and the latest fees are £770.50 for a five day course (plus £244.10 for a re-test if required). Both of these figures include the test fee.

The company has a class 2 Volvo FM7 and a class 1 Volvo FM12 both of which look the same inside so there is no re-familiarizing to a new vehicle when you take your class 1.

Contact details are John Kennard on 01922 458110.

I took my class 2 with a company called Central Transport Training based in Wolverhampton. This was 4 years ago though, so I don't know what their rates are. They do have a website though which is here

Hope this helps.

Ian.
Thanks very much Ian, i appreciate your time and effort in replying.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

Hi,
Long story, so will not go into too much detail. I am a nurse, female, and not built like a mountain. But i have always wanted to take my truck license, and maybe even give it ago part time, so i started the process a few months ago, i passed the medical, and passed the theory here in the UK.

The problems i have with it all, and would like to ask all you big truckers some advice if you would be kind enough to help me out?

1) Are there any cheaper ways in getting your pratical lessons done. Its just the cheapest i can find for my first part Class 2 is £900.00 plus the test fee at the end of the week around £90.00. So in all £1000.00, and if i fail, around £320.00 per retest, i am only a nurse. Are there any cheaper options to learn.

2) If i pass my Class 2 then Class 1 i have been told by agencies that i will not get a job because i will have no experience, basically, no one will employ you as a "just passed your test" Shocking, is this true, just makes me think you have to start somewhere, how did you big truckers get started, any advice welcome.

3) I am planning to move to Australia in the future, from what i can gather, your Class 1 and 2 does not count over there, you have to take a retest, which i am very dissapointed in, any experieces with this.

Like i said i am a nurse, and i would like to start trucking part time, top up my wages, i love the idea of driving those big trucks. Any feedback is very much appreciated, i have no one else to ask?

Thanks
In the UK you can apply to Carrears in Logistics they have a wab site and they are an EU funded program to help the transport industry gain more LGV drivers.

They arrange the training and ask you to pay a small contribution towards the costs. Know drivers who have obtained their C+E and cost them 200.00 in total.

Also in the UK this EU funded project will gain you employment in Adhoc to start but it all counts to experience in the long run.

Funding for unemployed would be Truckers in the UK is also there, if they make contact to any local council EU Funded scheme

Hope this helps

Skip
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:32 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bigwheels241
In the UK you can apply to Carrears in Logistics they have a wab site and they are an EU funded program to help the transport industry gain more LGV drivers.

They arrange the training and ask you to pay a small contribution towards the costs. Know drivers who have obtained their C+E and cost them 200.00 in total.

Also in the UK this EU funded project will gain you employment in Adhoc to start but it all counts to experience in the long run.

Funding for unemployed would be Truckers in the UK is also there, if they make contact to any local council EU Funded scheme

Hope this helps

Skip
Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

Great info, i will let you know how i get on for future drivers

http://www.careersinlogistics.co.uk/

Cannot seem to find any info regarding sponsorship/funding etc?

Last edited by Sooty and Sweep; Sep 25th 2007 at 11:17 am.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:57 am
Just Joined

l1b8y is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks
Hi. My daughter and I are being funded by an EU initiative, girls of the go, and women into driving. I have been offered my Class I training plus have already done my CPC course. Don't know where you are in England but Wigan college could certainly offer more details.

My daughter has been driving Class II for a couple of years and now has her Class I, and like you, agencies have loads of work, until you actually apply to them. : We have therefore decided to rent our own rig and 'give it a go', as soon as I get my Class I licence. Lots of luck.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

Great info, i will let you know how i get on for future drivers

http://www.careersinlogistics.co.uk/

Cannot seem to find any info regarding sponsorship/funding etc?
Have a read of this:

http://www.learndirect-advice.co.uk/...es/profile287/

Further information

Skills for Logistics
14 Warren Yard
Warren Farm Office Village
Stratford Road
Milton Keynes
MK12 5NW
Tel: 0870 242 7314
http://www.skillsforlogistics.org

Road Haulage Association (RHA)