British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/seafood-express-loafy-chris12-488210/)

RodRos&Co. Dec 5th 2007 12:10 pm

Re: SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Originally Posted by andy_sheila (Post 5635336)
No evidence of any storm here mate, a little snow (about 3-4 inches) no wind and no power outages. I know we have it to come but so far so good....................touch wood

Its probably going to wait till we arrive in January:ohmy:

My Dad always said, if I can do things the hard way I will:rofl: so arriving in Winter sounds good.

Seriously though by the time we get there and OH has done his training it might not be so bad ;)

Rosie

andy_sheila Dec 5th 2007 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by RodRos&Co. (Post 5635671)
Its probably going to wait till we arrive in January:ohmy:

My Dad always said, if I can do things the hard way I will:rofl: so arriving in Winter sounds good.

Seriously though by the time we get there and OH has done his training it might not be so bad ;)

Rosie

In some ways it's the best time to arrive. If you get through your 1st winter, things get better and you know you survived the worst that Canada can throw at you.
20 yrs ago i moved from Devon to Leeds (Dec 1st), all my family and friends were convinced i would be back within a month so i told myself i would stick it out for at least 6 months. We had the worst winter ever, i had ice an inch thick on the INSIDE of my windows but i stuck it out through the winter and stayed for 15 yrs.
Best of luck and good wishes for January, and of course we wish you a merry xmas and a fantastic new year.
Andy

RodRos&Co. Dec 5th 2007 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by andy_sheila (Post 5635732)
In some ways it's the best time to arrive. If you get through your 1st winter, things get better and you know you survived the worst that Canada can throw at you.
20 yrs ago i moved from Devon to Leeds (Dec 1st), all my family and friends were convinced i would be back within a month so i told myself i would stick it out for at least 6 months. We had the worst winter ever, i had ice an inch thick on the INSIDE of my windows but i stuck it out through the winter and stayed for 15 yrs.
Best of luck and good wishes for January, and of course we wish you a merry xmas and a fantastic new year.
Andy

Thanks Andy, thats the way we look at it, ok it'll be the back end of winter but at least we'll have some idea what to expect. OH has delivered in Russia and Poland during January so he's not too fazed by it.

My 1st winter driving was a bit like yours in Leeds, a crappy old truck that I spent more time defrosting the inside of the windows than the outside :D.
Waking up in Watford and everything had frozen, I couldn't get engine started, had a timed delivery after a lot of fing and jeffing, slamming doors etc an old guy came over with a kettle of hot water poured it on the air tank, I think, and hey ho I was off. I could have kissed him.

We hope you and your family have a brill Christmas, I bet your little girl is getting excited, and of course an excellent New Year.

Rosie

pete d Dec 6th 2007 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 5631835)
Here's some footage of the PEI and NS drivers Xmass party

has no one else ever tried aftershock............

DAVIE_MAC Dec 11th 2007 7:34 pm

Info regarding PEI speeding enforcement:

To change your preferences and receive email as plain text, visit www.gov.pe.ca/mailinglists.

http://www.gov.pe.ca/news/email-graphics/n.gif
For Immediate Release
December 11, 2007

Radar Guns To Be Installed In Commercial Vehicle Patrol Cars

CHARLOTTETOWN, PEI -- In its ongoing efforts to improve safety on Prince Edward Island Roads, the Department of Transportation and Public Works will soon install new radar equipment in its two Commercial Vehicle Enforcement (CVE) patrol cars. This new speed measurement equipment will give CVE Officers the ability to issue charges to operators of commercial vehicles under the Highway Traffic Act for speeding violations. This new safety initiative will complement the officers’ regular duties regarding vehicle weights and dimensions, equipment compliance and driver qualifications.
“This new equipment will allow our CVE Officers to better enforce commercial vehicle speed,” says Minister of Transportation and Public Works Ron MacKinley. “We hear a lot of complaints about speeding trucks. Having this equipment on board our patrol cars will serve as a strong speeding deterrent for commercial vehicle operators and will improve the safety of our Island roads.”
Highe r penalties for, and better enforcement of, speeding have so far been priorities for Minister MacKinley. In the fall sitting of the Legislature, the government passed amendments to the Highway Traffic Act that saw the flat rate for speeding increased by fifty dollars, and saw a doubling of speeding fines in school and construction zones.

-30-
Issued at Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island by Island Information Service. For more information, please contact Andrew Sprague , Transportation and Public Works by email at [email protected] or phone (902) 368-5112.
To change your subscription preferences
visit www.gov.pe.ca/mailinglists.
http://www.gov.pe.ca/detect/check.ph...inenumber=5059

karla03 Dec 11th 2007 9:27 pm

I just want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Fantastic New Year!

I really hope that 2008 bring you all Wealth, Health and Happiness!

Take Care All

Karla x x x

loafy Dec 24th 2007 2:48 am

Hi All,
Have a merry Christmas all and a great New Year.

Still here in PEI and still driving for Seafood, Everything going well and moved all our stuff into our house and now starting to feel like home now. Got two siamese kittens for my daughter.
I have been busy driving and have to say it's been all good fun most of the time, you get the odd time where you have to wait but nothing to bad that you couldnt handle thou. Truck is running well and a good drive but not as refined as european ones, too much noise and the ride is not that great, other than that it's good to be able to move around the cab when you have parked up for a while.
I will put some more pics on soon and tell more of what is going on here and with the job.

LOAFY...:thumbsup:

Lorna_D Dec 24th 2007 3:51 am

Merry Christmas to you and the family. Also all those over there on the East coast. I hope you didn't suffer in the power outage.:thumbsup:

andy_sheila Dec 24th 2007 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna_D (Post 5701104)
Merry Christmas to you and the family. Also all those over there on the East coast. I hope you didn't suffer in the power outage.:thumbsup:

Power outage? we didn't have one in the valley.

Happy Xmas and a fantastic New Year to all expats and prospective expats, i hope you all get what you wish for.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...christmas2.gif

loafy Dec 24th 2007 8:26 pm

Power !

We dont need power we need LOVE LOTS OF LOVE.:eek:

Raining today, washed all the snow away nearly, very sad as we were all going up to kerlynkeo's to have some fun on our home built cresta run we did yesterday. Never mind more on the way they say.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS PEEPS

Gremmie Dec 24th 2007 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by loafy (Post 5702731)
Power !

We dont need power we need LOVE LOTS OF LOVE.:eek:

Raining today, washed all the snow away nearly, very sad as we were all going up to kerlynkeo's to have some fun on our home built cresta run we did yesterday. Never mind more on the way they say.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS PEEPS

Nice to here from you again,glad things are going well,:thumbsup:

Happy Christmas to all,,,,,even BT:rofl:

alastairj Dec 28th 2007 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by loafy (Post 5700938)
Hi All,
Have a merry Christmas all and a great New Year.

Still here in PEI and still driving for Seafood, Everything going well and moved all our stuff into our house and now starting to feel like home now. Got two siamese kittens for my daughter.
I have been busy driving and have to say it's been all good fun most of the time, you get the odd time where you have to wait but nothing to bad that you couldnt handle thou. Truck is running well and a good drive but not as refined as european ones, too much noise and the ride is not that great, other than that it's good to be able to move around the cab when you have parked up for a while.
I will put some more pics on soon and tell more of what is going on here and with the job.

Hi,

We're in the process of moving to Canada (Eastern Seaboard), and I'm keen to get out of Government work. When we settle I'd like to do something different, and I've always fancied driving. Going to do my Class 1 HGV over here first. Does Seafood or any other companies you know of employ 'rookie' drivers for smaller vehicles?

Regards

Alastair J

Gremmie Dec 28th 2007 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by alastairj (Post 5712527)
Hi,

We're in the process of moving to Canada (Eastern Seaboard), and I'm keen to get out of Government work. When we settle I'd like to do something different, and I've always fancied driving. Going to do my Class 1 HGV over here first. Does Seafood or any other companies you know of employ 'rookie' drivers for smaller vehicles?

Regards

Alastair J

Why waist your money on getting a HGV1, its not recognised in Canada,you will have to retest here

DAVIE_MAC Dec 28th 2007 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by alastairj (Post 5712527)
Hi,

Regards

Alastair J

Alastair

You dont say how you plan to move but you say you are in the process, what process is this and how have you applied to emmigrate? This will make a big difference to the answers which people can provide.

Cheers Dave

Gremmie Dec 28th 2007 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC (Post 5713031)
Alastair

You dont say how you plan to move but you say you are in the process, what process is this and how have you applied to emmigrate? This will make a big difference to the answers which people can provide.

Cheers Dave

Davie he's started a new thread in which he implies hes going through a non PNP route rather the full monty version:rofl: