Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Rumour of driver sponsorship oz...is it true?

Rumour of driver sponsorship oz...is it true?

Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Davey n Di is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rumour of driver sponsorship oz...is it true?

Hi there,

My OH is a concrete mixer driver, has been for 12 years now, and we are looking at emigrating to Australia (hopefully ). I don't have enough experience in my job to take us over, so we are hoping to go on his skills and experience in the concrete industry.

We have heard a rumour that sponsorship may be on the cards for drivers in oz soon...does anyone know if there is any truth in this rumour? We are pinning all our hopes on it being true.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks

Di
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all
Default Re: Rumour of driver sponsorship oz...is it true?

Originally Posted by Davey n Di
Hi there,

My OH is a concrete mixer driver, has been for 12 years now, and we are looking at emigrating to Australia (hopefully ). I don't have enough experience in my job to take us over, so we are hoping to go on his skills and experience in the concrete industry.

We have heard a rumour that sponsorship may be on the cards for drivers in oz soon...does anyone know if there is any truth in this rumour? We are pinning all our hopes on it being true.

Thanks

Di
News to me but then again who knows with Govt... they slot in anything to make some minors happy
Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,

Thanks

Di
The last time I enquired they had plans to initiate a trial package of 100 foreign drivers.....However the NSW Unions kicked up such a stink they forced the ATA to cancel it and seek govt approval via the OZ Parliament....which as you can imagine is not at the top of their things to do list and they could not see it being appreved in the near future....BUT you never know best to get onto the ATA and ask them as they will be in the know .

The reason for the unions anger was that we would be low skilled low paid inexperienced and dangerous on the roads which in turn would damage the OZ trucking industry....they failed to mention like a lot of other countries trucking is already seriously damaged coz most cant fill the vacancies they have.

Sure one of the links here might be able to help you:

http://www.atatruck.net.au/ata_links.html

Cheers Dave
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

deannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant future

Hi there,

Thanks

Di
I have heard this as well from an "agent". He told me there was going to be an announcement this month, only 3 days left

Heres keeping fingers crossed

Deanno
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

Just spoke to a friend in australia who is within transport and they said that it will be limited, however still to be passed by aussie govt and a lot rests on reports like this,

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2006/s1680793.htm

http://twu.com.au/news/news9.html
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by deannos
I have heard this as well from an "agent". He told me there was going to be an announcement this month, only 3 days left

Heres keeping fingers crossed

Deanno
Hi there,

Thank you ALL for your replies...its much appreciated.

We too heard this rumour from an agent who says its about to be HOT, HOT, HOT news and to 'watch this space'...so we are with baited breath!!

This agent has been over in Oz and laising with people in the know and is very excited at the prospect...I think this project has been his baby for quite a few years and it may come to fruition. (fingers crossed)

Cheers everyone!

Di
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

PossumTracy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - can you confirm about this visa?? and if possible can you give us details of which agent to use....

cheers
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Hi,

has anybody got any more news ?

We're wanting to gain sponsorship via my husbands truck (HGV) driving or my Nursery Nursing.

Am waiting with baited breath....................... any more info would be fantastic

Thanks in advance

Becky
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi there,

Thanks

Di
Sister sent this tonight, she has talked to a few Polly's and the Govt will vote on all this at the next General sitting of Govt.

The TWA - Transport Workers Union in Australia claim this in their submission to Govt, this White Paper was just made Public under the freedon of Information Act.

http://www.twu.com.au/twu_457_submission.pdf

In short, Yes there would be a limited placement I think.....

However, the TWU are right in covering issues like Female drivers, conditions, heavy Lifting etc.

Remember, Australia once you get away from the big cities is like the Wild Wild West, some still do trucking as back in the 70's, they are a rough and ready bunch.....

The Visa they refer to is;

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill.../sbs/index.htm

Sub Class 457 Overseas workers Visa.....

Last edited by bigwheels241; Mar 11th 2008 at 9:40 pm. Reason: Added Visa link
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bigwheels241
Sister sent this tonight, she has talked to a few Polly's and the Govt will vote on all this at the next General sitting of Govt.

The TWA - Transport Workers Union in Australia claim this in their submission to Govt, this White Paper was just made Public under the freedon of Information Act.

However, the TWU are right in covering issues like Female drivers, conditions, heavy Lifting etc.

Remember, Australia once you get away from the big cities is like the Wild Wild West, some still do trucking as back in the 70's, they are a rough and ready bunch.....

Cheers Bigwheels,

You're a star!!

In fact today my OH received an invite to attend the Australian High Commission for an expo this weekend in London where there will be employers (hopefully willing to sponsor). We were really surprised that he got an invite as it's only for people who have skills that match the exhibitors that are going to be there, so hopefully there will be some good news at the end of it.

Thanks again,

Di x
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by bigwheels241

Wow at last..........thank you for this, it makes very intersting reading .............i'm sure there are loads of people who will be pleased to know this!

Cheers

Becky
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Question Re: Rumour of driver sponsorship oz...is it true?

Hi

Spent this afternon trawling through pages of websites, does anyone know of any major companies that are looking to sponsor?

We are looking at Queensland and a few pointers wouldn't go a miss!

Cheers

Becky
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

deannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant future

All i did was email quite a few Transport companies in WA, both large and small and also tried to go for the more regional ones and had a reply from 2 asking for my cv which i have sent off. But most if not all said the 457 sponsorship for drivers is currently suspended but hopefully will be back in a couple of months. I used google and found companies that had sponsored before, so i knew there was a better chance of replies,ie regional companies. But with OZ, being regional doesn't mean right out in the sticks. Happy googling, and lets keep our fingers crossed for good news.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deannos and Stumpysean,

In Australia if you pick an area (Town) and go to www.google.com.au and locate the local Chamber of Commerence, email them and ask them to mail you or email you a few local Road Transport Companies they have on their book.

The Chambers in Australia are strong and most businesses are members, well those who are ligit....unlike in UK

In the email to the chamber, tell them you require info as you will be re-locating with family to their area and you need to make contact to the owners in view of future business (Dont say employments) Iam sure you get my drift....

This is the best way to gain direct contact information and who they are, how big they are etc....

Example;

I am going to look at a town in Queensland, lets say Rockhampton Qld.

Google came up with this;

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...ampton&spell=1

results are;

http://www.rockhamptonchamber.com.au/

Have a quick look at the members list, most chambers have this for public view.....but just make contact thats the best way to start.....

Hope this helps, as its up to you all to do some of ground work....

Or I will be like those Canada employment agents and start charging a FEE for my work
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that Big Wheels!

You've been really helpful, we're really grateful.

I appreciate the effort you've gone to. It's a whole new thing for us, haven't a clue where to start, at least you're pointing us in the right direction......

Thanks again

Becky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.