Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for getting a class 1 Licence

Recommendations for getting a class 1 Licence

Old Apr 26th 2015, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

SUNSHINEGIRL_X is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recommendations for getting a class 1 Licence

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I'm coming over on a skilled TWP and my husband will get an open work permit.

He would like learn to drive and take his class 1 licence so he can work in trucking. Can you recommend any companies in the Calgary area which give the best lessons and results.

When he was 20 over 15 years ago he used to drive class 3.

Secondly what would you recommend in trying to get a job once he passes his test because he obviously wont have the experience.

Any info would be greatly received Thanks
Old Apr 26th 2015, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations for getting a class 1 Licence

Bison has a new driver program,they have a terminal in Calgary
New Drivers / Training Programs | Bison Driving
Pros: Big company ,good equipment,decent pay.
Cons:You have to sign up for 2yrs and do long haul to USA 5 to 7 days out(could be 2 weeks,reading between the lines)
I recommend once your husband passes his test, is to look around contact a few companies and see what feedback he gets.I think being on a open work permit he wont have to do long haul he can probably do any trucking job.Does he want to be away from home for days or weeks on end?
My boss recommends CCA driving school
Home
Old Apr 26th 2015, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you I will pass all the information on.

As for being home or away a lot, I think he would prefer to be home more than away but he understands he can't be too picky he would be happy for somebody to hire him with lack of experience.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

There are companies that hire new graduates out of school,he just needs to search them out.I will ask my boss this week when I get back to Calgary if he knows any companies.
Im in Calgary for the next 6 months,I will try and help you guys ok
Old Apr 26th 2015, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, check your PM's
Old Apr 26th 2015, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

if on an open permit.....try Lafarge concrete (redi concrete mixer) union job and rate is good, home at night .prob no weekends as will be bottom man on ladder ,will work up to 70hrs week then time off. get some experience .there is more to life than living in a tin can on highway work especially when you don't have to. just my thoughts.jimmy
Old Apr 26th 2015, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

just spoke to the "man..". Northland division of Lafarge at Edmonton ,,class3/1 starts around $22+hr with no experience. will train.
jimmy

Last edited by jamesmc; Apr 26th 2015 at 7:50 pm. Reason: dont eat drink and talk when writing!!!1lol
Old Apr 26th 2015, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Jimmy.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I would get the UK class one first and then you will be much better placed to take the Canadian test. If you can find a carrier that will take you, train you and and use their equipment it will save you a fortune.

UK class 1 lessons and test will be about 2000 pounds and take about 2- 3 weeks total.

In Canada the courses last about 10 weeks costing around 10000 dollars!! (they still cant drive lol)
Old Apr 29th 2015, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I would get the UK class one first and then you will be much better placed to take the Canadian test. If you can find a carrier that will take you, train you and and use their equipment it will save you a fortune.

UK class 1 lessons and test will be about 2000 pounds and take about 2- 3 weeks total.

In Canada the courses last about 10 weeks costing around 10000 dollars!! (they still cant drive lol)
Thanks, that would be a good idea but we are living in Germany at the moment that's why we are waiting until we arrive in Canada. We would do it here but his German is terrible. Lol.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but this is crazy, to suggest to anybody to spend all this money in the UK first.
You come out here and then have to learn everything again, ass about tit.
A fresh driver would be far better off starting here.
And 10,000 dollars & 10 weeks training, I don't know where that is, I've got a mate I work with come here with a Class2 , got through all the tests in the same time as us Class1's, about 6 days and $2000.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by neilg14
You come out here and then have to learn everything again, ass about tit.
A fresh driver would be far better off starting here.
And 10,000 dollars & 10 weeks training, I don't know where that is,
It would depend on the time frame - getting some time behind the wheel of a truck would always be beneficial. Especially an environment like the UK which is far more challenging than most of Canada. It wouldnt take that long to earn the money back. Few weeks on agency night trunking etc.
Then its a question of learning how to use the obsolete gear boxes they seem to like here At least then you have a frame of reference in terms of size and how the vehicle maneuvers.

The cost and the time taken to do the training is fairly typical in these parts and most carriers that you would want to work for will expect that you have that length of training. My point was that if you can show some experience and are able to take the test relatively quickly after you arrive it makes you a better candidate for a prospective employer.

The OP didnt mention that they were in Germany at the start.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone it's all great advice.

Sorry I should have mentioned at the beginning that we were now living in Germany. We left the UK to spend time with my mother in law before we leave for Canada.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

It would depend on the time frame - getting some time behind the wheel of a truck would always be beneficial. Especially an environment like the UK which is far more challenging than most of Canada. It wouldnt take that long to earn the money back. Few weeks on agency night trunking etc.
Then its a question of learning how to use the obsolete gear boxes they seem to like here At least then you have a frame of reference in terms of size and how the vehicle maneuvers.

The cost and the time taken to do the training is fairly typical in these parts and most carriers that you would want to work for will expect that you have that length of training. My point was that if you can show some experience and are able to take the test relatively quickly after you arrive it makes you a better candidate for a prospective employer.

The OP didnt mention that they were in Germany at the start.
If Sunshinegirl or anybody else were planning on coming out here in 3 or more years, I'd agree with you, time to get experience but their LMIA is imminent and there are plenty of truck jobs on Kijijii in Calgary advertising they will train New Starts.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

I came here with experience, 5 days and i had my CDL but 10 weeks even for a greenhorn seems excessive ?
No point paying out in Europe, may as well spend that money here, The shifters (standard) aren't common in Europe any more so he wont learn about those, trailers are longer here as are tractor wheel bases so i cant see any benefit spending at least 2000 pounds just before moving here.
Much better to invest that money with a good training school, some also include load securement if he's considering flat deck.
Oh and my 5 days to get my CDL, there was two of us and an instructor so i only drove short half days so technically two and a half days lol
should check dates this is an old post lol

Last edited by Juggernaut1064; Oct 8th 2015 at 3:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.