Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Recognised Quals in Canada & Equivalent

Recognised Quals in Canada & Equivalent

Old Aug 28th 2007, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Recognised Quals in Canada & Equivalent

Andy you might know as your an O/O (or as BT calls it O/L or whatever)

I have been looking into doing courses for my Army resettlement in the line of Logistics and Transport, i.e. Diploma in Logistics and transport.

Also the CPC International.

Does anyone know if they are recognised in Canada or:

What is the equivilant qualifications in the Canadian Transport Industry.

They must have qualifications in line with these as they must have transport managers.

How does the Transport office work there in canada in the trucking firms. I know they have dispatchers but who oversees them and what are their titles and qualifications do they sit / hold.

Cheers Dave
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Recognised Quals in Canada & Equivalent

Well seeing as there has been No reply you musn't need any quals to work as a transport manager or anything needed for an O licence.

Strange......
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

CHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Well seeing as there has been No reply you musn't need any quals to work as a transport manager or anything needed for an O licence.

Strange......
I don't know exactly, but have been told CPC doesn't count for much (especially for points ect..) but may help with interviews.

I looked at O/O, (have O license here) and a few companies list the requirements, but can't remember seeing anything like an O licence. Didn't look in detail though, as I would prefer to work for someone first, to gain some experience.

Try looking on Fed-ex's site, I think they listed the requirements (age of tractor and equipment needed, chains ect.....)
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

I also havent found anything,except courses on Buissness management for O/O's
http://www.cthrc.com/en/news.php look under National Standard and Certification. I shall search further
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:29 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Andy you might know as your an O/O (or as BT calls it O/L or whatever)

I have been looking into doing courses for my Army resettlement in the line of Logistics and Transport, i.e. Diploma in Logistics and transport.

Also the CPC International.

Does anyone know if they are recognised in Canada or:

What is the equivilant qualifications in the Canadian Transport Industry.

They must have qualifications in line with these as they must have transport managers.

How does the Transport office work there in canada in the trucking firms. I know they have dispatchers but who oversees them and what are their titles and qualifications do they sit / hold.

Cheers Dave
Hi Dave and everyone interested, as ever i can only answer from a Nova Scotian point of view.
There is no special test to become an O/O - O/D - O/L nor are there any other requirements, all you have to do is Buy/Lease/beg/borrow/steal a truck and preferably find a company to run for exclusively, you can find your own work but i would strongly advise against this for the 1st 12 months at least.
All companies that you will run for do things a little differently from each other but mine pays for everything up front and i pay for some things out of my settlement. ie. they pay for the plates, permits, fuel (i have a company fuel card) decals for the truck.

BT, yes i lease my truck but any option where you are not a company driver, or drive for a broker then you are an O/O, i get exactly the same pay, miles, benefits as anyone who owns there truck outright (i would be interested to know who owns a $140,000 outright)

A lot of companies insist that your truck is under 4 yrs old, mine doesn't
some want your truck painted in there colours, many don't. those that do usually pay around $4/5000 towards the painting.

As for dispatch, afaik you don't have to be qualified, just have experience, most are ex-drivers or trained from school. what i do know is that any qualifications from the UK will help but will not be officially recognised.

if there are any specific questions i will be happy to answer them but thats all i can think of at the moment.

Hope this helps

Andy

P.S. Please bear in mind that if you have any questions, i don't come on expats much now due to being away (in part) and as someone else said "it's dead in here now" now that this section is "hidden" away and Lyndons thread has been censored/lyndon banned. A pm will get a faster response.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Andy,you've confirmed my investigations. Did you buy your truck before or after getting PR,does this have a bearing on getting PR ??
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:42 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Gremmie;5269582]Thanks Andy,you've confirmed my investigations. Did you buy your truck before or after getting PR,does this have a bearing on getting PR ??[/quote

Hi Graham

I got PR 2 yrs ago and the truck last month, it wouldn't have any bearing on PR except going towards proving that you intend to settle and stay in Canada (it shows firm commitment to a long term plan)

Hope this helps mate

From Andy in sunny Jackson, Mississippi
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Andy / Gremmie

Many thanks for replies. As I also thought it seems that experience is the key here especially if you want to become a dispatcher / Transport Manager.

I have asked various organisations but never had any replies from them.

I can't honestly see the CPC Int counting for anything in Canada but as mentioned might be good for CV / Interview. It's a bit like the miliotary really I have ran fleets of over 200 veh's but never had any real courses for it it was just a case of there you go your driver trade get on with it...now however there are courses and they are very well run.

O/O for me I think in the future is defo the way to go....if I stick with driving that is a few years down the line...better to do it for yourself than anyone else...especially if your gonna be doing it anyway.

Cheers again guys & stay safe

Andy will be passing your way end of the month
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:04 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

Andy / Gremmie

Many thanks for replies. As I also thought it seems that experience is the key here especially if you want to become a dispatcher / Transport Manager.

I have asked various organisations but never had any replies from them.

I can't honestly see the CPC Int counting for anything in Canada but as mentioned might be good for CV / Interview. It's a bit like the miliotary really I have ran fleets of over 200 veh's but never had any real courses for it it was just a case of there you go your driver trade get on with it...now however there are courses and they are very well run.

O/O for me I think in the future is defo the way to go....if I stick with driving that is a few years down the line...better to do it for yourself than anyone else...especially if your gonna be doing it anyway.

Cheers again guys & stay safe

Andy will be passing your way end of the month
I said in another thread Dave, the offer still stands.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
I said in another thread Dave, the offer still stands.
Thats great thanks mate really appreciate it.