ok here goes!!

Old Mar 19th 2013, 5:22 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 8
delgado is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ok here goes!!

male , 46 , single ,uk resident , 20 yrs coach, 2 yrs hgv , very keen road cyclist, want to emigrate to ontario preferably (but all options considered) where do i begin?? (postive comments only please as my head is already spinning. visas , permits , experience ) even some advice on how to approach some of the companies mentioned here westcan /timeline /h+r ?

please go easy
delgado is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:00 am
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 30,359
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ok here goes!!

No route to PR in Ontario is there? Might want to look at that first before choosing a province, in case you decide you want to stay permanently. No point going somewhere where that's not possible!
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2013, 1:04 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
kb33's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Kamloops BC
Posts: 1,023
kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice
Default Re: ok here goes!!

Read here

Ontario is a no go unless you have PR , But the Province next door (Manitoba )
is your best bet , Look for companies hiring with LMO's , Which will give you the work permit you need to work here .

Basically :

Find a Province you fancy (Alberta SK and Manitoba pref )

Find a company thats hiring with LMO's in place

Apply for job

Arrive at airport with LMO , Customs then give you work permit

You'll need a clean licence and a cleanish criminal record and offer of employment.

Most companies like talking with you face to face , Dont mess about with emails , So a Research trip and knocking on a few doors will help enormously.

Plus you will get a feel for the area = especially if its -25
kb33 is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:11 am
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 8
delgado is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ok here goes!!

Hi gentlemen and thank you both for taking the time to reply- I truly appreciate that.

Having re -read my original post i realise it was written rather haphazardly. So! i shall try again ,this time with a bit more focus on what i am trying to achieve here.

Ok! PR is important to me and i heed the information regarding the territories. I only mentioned Ontario because it appeals to me ,but that can wait for later on in life. At this juncture i shall go where the work is despite the weather , pay etc..

So! i am here in the UK ,with a PSV and class 2 licence , no family ties ,criminal record etc etc. My objective is to relocate to Canada ,partly career ,partly to enjoy my big passion cycling.

Long haul driving appeals and i am fully aware of all that it entails..

So ,if either of you ,or anyone else can answer these following queries i would be very grateful and certain to be partly on my way to getting the plan in motion.

1) Outwith this forum what is the best way to find out which companies are hiring and indeed can offer LMO? other websites perhaps ?,recruitment agencies? any recommendations if so?
2) This is a very important question and one that i cannot find the answer to despite trawling this thread: WHY!! would a company issue me with an LMO if i have neither the class 1 or experience of driving LGV in Canada??

3) If the answer to question 2 is down to luck or connections would i be better off coming over and doing my class 1 with air brakes and registering with some agencies? Can i sit my class 1 without a Canadian drivers licence? Any training company recommendations also?

Ok chaps hit me up if you can . I know this will be difficult journey ,but i am prepared for the task and will just keep focusing on the bigger picture of someday living/working /cycling in such a wonderful place ..

best

P
delgado is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:52 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Stuck in UK at the moment
Posts: 167
vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: ok here goes!!

Originally Posted by delgado View Post
Hi gentlemen and thank you both for taking the time to reply- I truly appreciate that.

Having re -read my original post i realise it was written rather haphazardly. So! i shall try again ,this time with a bit more focus on what i am trying to achieve here.

Ok! PR is important to me and i heed the information regarding the territories. I only mentioned Ontario because it appeals to me ,but that can wait for later on in life. At this juncture i shall go where the work is despite the weather , pay etc..

So! i am here in the UK ,with a PSV and class 2 licence , no family ties ,criminal record etc etc. My objective is to relocate to Canada ,partly career ,partly to enjoy my big passion cycling.

Long haul driving appeals and i am fully aware of all that it entails..

So ,if either of you ,or anyone else can answer these following queries i would be very grateful and certain to be partly on my way to getting the plan in motion.

1) Outwith this forum what is the best way to find out which companies are hiring and indeed can offer LMO? other websites perhaps ?,recruitment agencies? any recommendations if so?
2) This is a very important question and one that i cannot find the answer to despite trawling this thread: WHY!! would a company issue me with an LMO if i have neither the class 1 or experience of driving LGV in Canada??

3) If the answer to question 2 is down to luck or connections would i be better off coming over and doing my class 1 with air brakes and registering with some agencies? Can i sit my class 1 without a Canadian drivers licence? Any training company recommendations also?

Ok chaps hit me up if you can . I know this will be difficult journey ,but i am prepared for the task and will just keep focusing on the bigger picture of someday living/working /cycling in such a wonderful place ..

best

P

You will find it every hard to get a truck driving job in canada if you do not have you class 1 and 2 or more years experience driving class 1.

You cannot sit a Canadian class one test with out a Canadian driving licence, you will need to transfer you UK car licence to a Canadian car licence and then sit you class one test.
vickysteve is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2013, 3:05 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 8
delgado is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ok here goes!!

Thanks Steve and this is what i thought, however lots of UK based drivers on the forum seem to have landed jobs/interviews and this was puzzling me somewhat . How did they gain the licence and 2 yrs esp if based in UK?!?!!
delgado is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2013, 3:12 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
jamesmc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: MB rural.
Posts: 1,001
jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ok here goes!!

ahhh..for a company to receive an lmo the applicant (you) must show/tell them that you have held a hgv1 for minimum of 2yrs.in your Country.
the magic word is held.!
jimmy.
jamesmc is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2013, 3:18 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Stuck in UK at the moment
Posts: 167
vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: ok here goes!!

Originally Posted by jamesmc View Post
ahhh..for a company to receive an lmo the applicant (you) must show/tell them that you have held a hgv1 for minimum of 2yrs.in your Country.
the magic word is held.!
jimmy.
What Jamesmc said, you have to prove you have had over two year class 1 experience in the UK, When I applied for my LMO I had to prove my class 1 background with references and DVLA proof that I had my class 1 I also had to go to a driving school and have a road test.
vickysteve is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2013, 3:23 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 8
delgado is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ok here goes!!

Aahh indeed James and thanks for clearing that up. And looks like I'm a bit snookered for now. Only have class 2 . Anyone looking for an experienced PSV coach driver haha
delgado is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2013, 3:27 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Stuck in UK at the moment
Posts: 167
vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: ok here goes!!

Originally Posted by delgado View Post
Aahh indeed James and thanks for clearing that up. And looks like I'm a bit snookered for now. Only have class 2 . Anyone looking for an experienced PSV coach driver haha

PCV Driving in Canada is great fun I use to work for a calgary based company, You will still have to prove your work history, you will also have to pass the Class 2 licence.
vickysteve is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2013, 3:37 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 8
delgado is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ok here goes!!

Wow !! I can defo provide that , but i didn't think for a moment it would be possible as unlike long haulers there seems to be no big shortage. Any agencies you know of Steve or web sites ? Can u get an LMO for coach work? There may be hope.
delgado is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2013, 3:42 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Stuck in UK at the moment
Posts: 167
vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: ok here goes!!

Originally Posted by delgado View Post
Wow !! I can defo provide that , but i didn't think for a moment it would be possible as unlike long haulers there seems to be no big shortage. Any agencies you know of Steve or web sites ? Can u get an LMO for coach work? There may be hope.
I have only heard on one coach company that has LMOs, that is TRAXX Coaches in Calgary, There is a couple on here cannot remember there user name that have gone out to work for them if you can track them down they may be able to help you. PCV agency work in Canada is very very hard to find, I do not know of any agencies that offer PCV work, you would be better of calling coach companies direct.
vickysteve is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2013, 3:45 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 8
delgado is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ok here goes!!

You are a star Steve. Cheers.
delgado is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:52 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 42
Sats72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ok here goes!!

Having the class 1 licence 2 years is a myth. As far as i'm aware, it's having a licence for a vehicle with a minimum of 3 axles for 2 years is what it says on the lmo (well mine anyhow).

The tricky part is getting a firm to hire you without the class 1 experience.
Sats72 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.