British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   ok here goes!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/ok-here-goes-791099/)

delgado Mar 19th 2013 4:22 pm

ok here goes!!

male , 46 , single ,uk resident , 20 yrs coach, 2 yrs hgv , very keen road cyclist, want to emigrate to ontario preferably (but all options considered) where do i begin?? (postive comments only please as my head is already spinning. visas , permits , experience ) even some advice on how to approach some of the companies mentioned here westcan /timeline /h+r ?

please go easy :)

christmasoompa Mar 19th 2013 11:00 pm

Re: ok here goes!!

No route to PR in Ontario is there? Might want to look at that first before choosing a province, in case you decide you want to stay permanently. No point going somewhere where that's not possible!

kb33 Mar 20th 2013 12:04 am

Read here

Ontario is a no go unless you have PR , But the Province next door (Manitoba )
is your best bet , Look for companies hiring with LMO's , Which will give you the work permit you need to work here .

Basically :

Find a Province you fancy (Alberta SK and Manitoba pref )

Find a company thats hiring with LMO's in place

Apply for job

Arrive at airport with LMO , Customs then give you work permit

You'll need a clean licence and a cleanish criminal record and offer of employment.

Most companies like talking with you face to face , Dont mess about with emails , So a Research trip and knocking on a few doors will help enormously.

Plus you will get a feel for the area = especially if its -25 ;):rofl::rofl:

delgado Mar 20th 2013 7:11 am

Hi gentlemen and thank you both for taking the time to reply- I truly appreciate that.:)

Having re -read my original post i realise it was written rather haphazardly. So! i shall try again ,this time with a bit more focus on what i am trying to achieve here.

Ok! PR is important to me and i heed the information regarding the territories. I only mentioned Ontario because it appeals to me ,but that can wait for later on in life. At this juncture i shall go where the work is despite the weather , pay etc..

So! i am here in the UK ,with a PSV and class 2 licence , no family ties ,criminal record etc etc. My objective is to relocate to Canada ,partly career ,partly to enjoy my big passion cycling.

Long haul driving appeals and i am fully aware of all that it entails..

So ,if either of you ,or anyone else can answer these following queries i would be very grateful and certain to be partly on my way to getting the plan in motion.

1) Outwith this forum what is the best way to find out which companies are hiring and indeed can offer LMO? other websites perhaps ?,recruitment agencies? any recommendations if so?
2) This is a very important question and one that i cannot find the answer to despite trawling this thread: WHY!! would a company issue me with an LMO if i have neither the class 1 or experience of driving LGV in Canada??

3) If the answer to question 2 is down to luck or connections would i be better off coming over and doing my class 1 with air brakes and registering with some agencies? Can i sit my class 1 without a Canadian drivers licence? Any training company recommendations also?

Ok chaps hit me up if you can . I know this will be difficult journey ,but i am prepared for the task and will just keep focusing on the bigger picture of someday living/working /cycling in such a wonderful place ..

best

P

vickysteve Mar 20th 2013 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by delgado (Post 10614061)
Hi gentlemen and thank you both for taking the time to reply- I truly appreciate that.:)

Having re -read my original post i realise it was written rather haphazardly. So! i shall try again ,this time with a bit more focus on what i am trying to achieve here.

Ok! PR is important to me and i heed the information regarding the territories. I only mentioned Ontario because it appeals to me ,but that can wait for later on in life. At this juncture i shall go where the work is despite the weather , pay etc..

So! i am here in the UK ,with a PSV and class 2 licence , no family ties ,criminal record etc etc. My objective is to relocate to Canada ,partly career ,partly to enjoy my big passion cycling.

Long haul driving appeals and i am fully aware of all that it entails..

So ,if either of you ,or anyone else can answer these following queries i would be very grateful and certain to be partly on my way to getting the plan in motion.

1) Outwith this forum what is the best way to find out which companies are hiring and indeed can offer LMO? other websites perhaps ?,recruitment agencies? any recommendations if so?
2) This is a very important question and one that i cannot find the answer to despite trawling this thread: WHY!! would a company issue me with an LMO if i have neither the class 1 or experience of driving LGV in Canada??

3) If the answer to question 2 is down to luck or connections would i be better off coming over and doing my class 1 with air brakes and registering with some agencies? Can i sit my class 1 without a Canadian drivers licence? Any training company recommendations also?

Ok chaps hit me up if you can . I know this will be difficult journey ,but i am prepared for the task and will just keep focusing on the bigger picture of someday living/working /cycling in such a wonderful place ..

best

P

You will find it every hard to get a truck driving job in canada if you do not have you class 1 and 2 or more years experience driving class 1.

You cannot sit a Canadian class one test with out a Canadian driving licence, you will need to transfer you UK car licence to a Canadian car licence and then sit you class one test.

delgado Mar 20th 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks Steve and this is what i thought, however lots of UK based drivers on the forum seem to have landed jobs/interviews and this was puzzling me somewhat . How did they gain the licence and 2 yrs esp if based in UK?!?!!:confused:

jamesmc Mar 20th 2013 2:12 pm

ahhh..for a company to receive an lmo the applicant (you) must show/tell them that you have held a hgv1 for minimum of 2yrs.in your Country.
the magic word is held.!
jimmy.

vickysteve Mar 20th 2013 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 10614623)
ahhh..for a company to receive an lmo the applicant (you) must show/tell them that you have held a hgv1 for minimum of 2yrs.in your Country.
the magic word is held.!
jimmy.

What Jamesmc said, you have to prove you have had over two year class 1 experience in the UK, When I applied for my LMO I had to prove my class 1 background with references and DVLA proof that I had my class 1 I also had to go to a driving school and have a road test.

delgado Mar 20th 2013 2:23 pm

Aahh indeed James and thanks for clearing that up. And looks like I'm a bit snookered for now. Only have class 2 . Anyone looking for an experienced PSV coach drive:Dr haha

vickysteve Mar 20th 2013 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by delgado (Post 10614649)
Aahh indeed James and thanks for clearing that up. And looks like I'm a bit snookered for now. Only have class 2 . Anyone looking for an experienced PSV coach drive:Dr haha

PCV Driving in Canada is great fun I use to work for a calgary based company, You will still have to prove your work history, you will also have to pass the Class 2 licence.

delgado Mar 20th 2013 2:37 pm

Wow !! I can defo provide that , but i didn't think for a moment it would be possible as unlike long haulers there seems to be no big shortage. Any agencies you know of Steve or web sites ? Can u get an LMO for coach work? There may be hope. :)

vickysteve Mar 20th 2013 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by delgado (Post 10614675)
Wow !! I can defo provide that , but i didn't think for a moment it would be possible as unlike long haulers there seems to be no big shortage. Any agencies you know of Steve or web sites ? Can u get an LMO for coach work? There may be hope. :)

I have only heard on one coach company that has LMOs, that is TRAXX Coaches in Calgary, There is a couple on here cannot remember there user name that have gone out to work for them if you can track them down they may be able to help you. PCV agency work in Canada is very very hard to find, I do not know of any agencies that offer PCV work, you would be better of calling coach companies direct.

delgado Mar 20th 2013 2:45 pm

You are a star Steve. Cheers.

Sats72 Mar 21st 2013 3:52 am

Having the class 1 licence 2 years is a myth. As far as i'm aware, it's having a licence for a vehicle with a minimum of 3 axles for 2 years is what it says on the lmo (well mine anyhow).

The tricky part is getting a firm to hire you without the class 1 experience.