newbee

Old Jan 19th 2014, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

lemmybird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default newbee

hi all going to move to edmonton this year can anybody help with a few basic questions firstly lmo? what is that and if i surrender my hgv license and take the canadian test do I get it back if I return to the uk.I understand its paid by mile out there how much ? any replies much appreciated
Old Jan 19th 2014, 8:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbee

Originally Posted by lemmybird
hi all going to move to edmonton this year can anybody help with a few basic questions firstly lmo? what is that and if i surrender my hgv license and take the canadian test do I get it back if I return to the uk.I understand its paid by mile out there how much ? any replies much appreciated
No idea on the trucking questions, but here's some info on LMO's - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Labour...Opinion-Canada

If you don't have a LMO yet, then how do you know you'll be moving to Edmonton this year?!?

This Wiki article may also be useful - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada

Good luck.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks christmassoompa my partners from there so decided to move there she's already there and working so just me to sort out work wise, acommadation and such is not a problem.thats how I know I'll be going
Old Jan 19th 2014, 8:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks christmassoompa my partners from there so decided to move there she's already there and working so just me to sort out work wise, acommadation and such is not a problem.thats how I know I'll be going
Just the minor things like job offer, LMO and visa to sort then?!
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

ye something like that ,could always just be a stay at home dad .
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

ye something like that ,could always just be a stay at home dad .
So your child is there as well with your partner? But presumably your child is a Canadian citizen so didn't need a visa to move?

You could be a stay at home dad, but you will only be given up to six months as a visitor (note it could be less, it's the immigration officer's choice of how long to give you).

Good luck.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Hi, you after surrender your uk class 1 but will get it back if you return to the UK. If your partner is over here working on a visa you will be able to get an open work permit which means you can work for anybody, and theirs loads of class 1 work in Edmonton.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Smudger75
If your partner is over here working on a visa you will be able to get an open work permit which means you can work for anybody, and theirs loads of class 1 work in Edmonton.
He says his partner is from Edmonton, so I assume is a Canadian. So a SOWP isn't an option, although spousal sponsorship may be if they've lived together for a year or more as husband and wife and can prove it.

Worth noting just for the sake of anybody reading that only spouses of those working in 'skilled' jobs on TWP's can get open work permits, and that they'd also have to have lived together for a year or more to qualify if they're not married. So it's not something that is available to everybody with a partner working in Canada.

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the replies guys yes my partner is canadian and we lived 5 years together in the uk she wanted to go back first to get us a head start and is back at work in edmonton but Iam not sure if that was the right thing to do now as we no longer live together obviously may effect the visa situation
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 9:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

thanks for the replies guys yes my partner is canadian and we lived 5 years together in the uk she wanted to go back first to get us a head start and is back at work in edmonton but Iam not sure if that was the right thing to do now as we no longer live together obviously may effect the visa situation
It may well do, but it will depend on how long ago she left the UK. The quickest and easiest way to a visa would be for her to sponsor you for PR as her common-law spouse, but to qualify as her common-law spouse you need to have lived together as husband and wife (i.e. combined your financial affairs etc) for a year or more.

The OP Manual says the following:

"To be considered common-law partners, they must have cohabited for at least one year. This is the standard definition used across the federal government. It means continuous cohabitation for one year, not intermittent cohabitation adding up to one year. The continuous nature of the cohabitation is a universal understanding based on case law.

While cohabitation means living together continuously, from time to time, one or the other partner may have left the home for work or business travel, family obligations, and so on. The separation must be temporary and short."

So really it will depend on whether or not it is 'temporary and short' i.e. if she only left a month ago and you get out there asap (even on just a visitor visa), it would probably be fine. If she left 6 months ago and you've not been living together since, then imo that's not 'temporary and short'.

HTH a bit, good luck.