Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Midland Transport, NS - Any Info?

Midland Transport, NS - Any Info?

Old Nov 20th 2009, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice
Default Re: Midland Transport, NS - Any Info?

*cough cough* ↑ ...lol

Last edited by CurtNIR; Nov 20th 2009 at 9:08 am.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
MY experience:

Bulk monthly pay = $1700 (in a good month)

Midland Bi-weekly pay = $1600 (projected approx depending on where you run to)

Think that sums it up.... apart from alot of other consistantly unprofessional actions (not to be mentioned on here)

Suppose they are fine for some but not for others.

"apart from alot of other consistantly unprofessional actions (not to be mentioned on here)"

Forums should be about ALL aspects of companies, so why not post anything here?

It's not a case of waiting for people to fall, as some of you think BT is doing, it's about getting FACTUAL information, however unpleasant it may be.
The more info you have, the better prepared you are to choose the right company and be successful, or like Gremmie, you can just sit on forums all day being sarcastic to everyone who walks a different path.

The forums should not be a back slappers club for those who are doing ok, but a source of info, and anyone who criticises ANY Canadian company seems to get shouted down, and chased off...very unfortunate.

I personally wish all the best to everyone who is willing to work in Canada for ANY trucking company, but there are WITHOUT DOUBT some lousy firms to work for, so just lets all stop trying to present a totally rosy picture, although I do understand why bloggers, or anyone who is desperate for PR have to be careful what they write on the net.

Gremmie, if you don't have a sensible or intelligent reply to this, then please feel free to ignore it altogether.

This thread is about Midland...so...any negative stuff to report (I doubt it, thankfully).
Old Nov 20th 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickfly
"apart from alot of other consistantly unprofessional actions (not to be mentioned on here)"

Forums should be about ALL aspects of companies, so why not post anything here?

It's not a case of waiting for people to fall, as some of you think BT is doing, it's about getting FACTUAL information, however unpleasant it may be.
The more info you have, the better prepared you are to choose the right company and be successful, or like Gremmie, you can just sit on forums all day being sarcastic to everyone who walks a different path.

The forums should not be a back slappers club for those who are doing ok, but a source of info, and anyone who criticises ANY Canadian company seems to get shouted down, and chased off...very unfortunate.

I personally wish all the best to everyone who is willing to work in Canada for ANY trucking company, but there are WITHOUT DOUBT some lousy firms to work for, so just lets all stop trying to present a totally rosy picture, although I do understand why bloggers, or anyone who is desperate for PR have to be careful what they write on the net.

Gremmie, if you don't have a sensible or intelligent reply to this, then please feel free to ignore it altogether.

This thread is about Midland...so...any negative stuff to report (I doubt it, thankfully).
The only stuff i know about Midland is what Loafy tells me, and the reason Loafy has even writen anything on here is coz i asked hime too
You say the forums should not be " a back slappers club" neither should they be a place for "personal revenge' or a means to propergate vendettas against Employers, which seems to be your forte. So unless you have any facts on Midland i suggest you do as you advise me too "Mickfly by night", if you don't have a sensible or intelligent reply to this, then please feel free to ignore it altogether
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gremmie
The only stuff i know about Midland is what Loafy tells me, and the reason Loafy has even writen anything on here is coz i asked hime too
You say the forums should not be " a back slappers club" neither should they be a place for "personal revenge' or a means to propergate vendettas against Employers, which seems to be your forte. So unless you have any facts on Midland i suggest you do as you advise me too "Mickfly by night", if you don't have a sensible or intelligent reply to this, then please feel free to ignore it altogether
My post was about Davie macs cryptic reference to Bulk, not about Loafys excellent information!

Vendettas against employers?
Do you mean my beef with H&R, which I have hardly mentioned on this forum?

Personal revenge?
Do you mean my upsetting answers to Lyndons insulting, childish, pathetic, sarcastic, untrue, abusive comments elswhere (not on this forum) in his guise as recruiter for said company?
That was personal on his behalf, not mine, I was arguing with him as a recruiter, not a person.

P.S I like your personal attack against curtni on the other forum, dressed up as humor by adding LOL and a smiley, still, not as bad as the personal and damaging info you posted about Mike is it?
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickfly
My post was about Davie macs cryptic reference to Bulk, not about Loafys excellent information!

Vendettas against employers?
Do you mean my beef with H&R, which I have hardly mentioned on this forum?

Personal revenge?
Do you mean my upsetting answers to Lyndons insulting, childish, pathetic, sarcastic, untrue, abusive comments elswhere (not on this forum) in his guise as recruiter for said company?
That was personal on his behalf, not mine, I was arguing with him as a recruiter, not a person.

P.S I like your personal attack against curtni on the other forum, dressed up as humor by adding LOL and a smiley, still, not as bad as the personal and damaging info you posted about Mike is it?
Hey Mike's perverted sexual behavior would have stayed a secret, but he started a slur campaign and spread viscous rumours on that pathetic blog you kids thought so amusing so he now pays the price, as he loves to say " what goes arround" etc. if you wish to continue this topic then do it via a PM and not on this thread
Old Nov 20th 2009, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

MY experience:

Bulk monthly pay = $1700 (in a good month)

Midland Bi-weekly pay = $1600 (projected approx depending on where you run to)

Think that sums it up.... apart from alot of other consistantly unprofessional actions (not to be mentioned on here)

Suppose they are fine for some but not for others.

To the rose tinted glasses brigade:
Read the above quote and SUCK IT UP!!!!!!!!

To Davie,
why did you not go to Midland in the first place?
Old Nov 20th 2009, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by loafy
Hey big truck how is the tipper business these days, isn't that what you do or did, i might be mistaken and apologize if i am but im sure you did mention in past threads thats what you do or run. For what it's worth i hope your doing ok with the economy slump in the building and im guessing the goverment are not allowing to many new roads to be built either.

LOAFY...
Loafy,
The tipper business is on its knees and lots of boys are crying into their diesel tanks,its a good job I sold up in Feb 08 for a tidy little profit when I saw the slump coming!!!!
BTW,
The ONLY thing keeping the quarry/construction industry going in NI this past couple of years is the amount of new roads being built!!
Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Hey Mike's perverted sexual behavior would have stayed a secret, but he started a slur campaign and spread viscous rumours on that pathetic blog you kids thought so amusing so he now pays the price, as he loves to say " what goes arround" etc. if you wish to continue this topic then do it via a PM and not on this thread
pm sent
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Big Truck
To the rose tinted glasses brigade:
Read the above quote and SUCK IT UP!!!!!!!!

To Davie,
why did you not go to Midland in the first place?
They were not recruiting when I was looking to move and was not aware we could live in PEI and work for them off the island so Bulk at the time looked better than S.Ex.

Also they use an immigration agent to handle your move / application and I refuse to pay anyone money for something i can do myself.

Did not anticipate the situation at Bulk would be so bad... but me and another 5 at least thought so within the last few weeks. Not all FW but locals as well.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

They were not recruiting when I was looking to move and was not aware we could live in PEI and work for them off the island so Bulk at the time looked better than S.Ex.

Also they use an immigration agent to handle your move / application and I refuse to pay anyone money for something i can do myself.

Did not anticipate the situation at Bulk would be so bad... but me and another 5 at least thought so within the last few weeks. Not all FW but locals as well.
Couple of points Davie. I assume Bulk paid for all your training, ie: Driving test, air brake test? Also gave you a truck to do it in? Did all the LMO paperwork? You've been there a couple of months... I might be seen as simple, but didn't they deserve abit more time than that considering the time & money they've put into you? Look at H&R, you pay for pretty near everything now.
I agree $1700 pcm is not a living wage. Are the problems at Bulk due to the court case mentioned elsewhere on this & the other forum? Or just the economic situation?
It has been pointed out previously that as a newbie you start at the bottom of the ladder & work up, that the first 2 years can be very difficult. Also you need some money to support yourself when your pay is low. There have been a number of you go to Bulk recently, have they simply got too many drivers? Especially if the locals are short of work too. Are they all leaving too?

What does the LMO state as regards pay? $800pw? Is this averaged out over a month, week or year?
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

I'll answer the questions below However the OP was asking about Midland and not Bulk. If anyone wants to know about Bulk then start a new thread or revive an old one, out of courtesy to the OP.

Couple of points Davie. I assume Bulk paid for all your training, ie: Driving test, air brake test? Also gave you a truck to do it in?
No you pay for them yourself. Yes they provide a truck for the test and driver training. However if there are no loads to shunt round the island you dont go out, you dont get an allocated instructor like a driving school taking you out every day if Greg has no loads to move then you dont get any training. Some of the guys had 2 runs into town to Canadian Tire approx 10klm each way then sat thier test coz no loads were there to be moved over a greater distance. I was lucky yes, as I was the last one to do my test so was on my own and not competing with other drivers for training so had a bit more days and miles before the test so no probs for me but he other lads were not happy... but they still passed so turned out OK.

Did all the LMO paperwork?
2 sides of paper which you can include multiple drivers names on, not a back breaking amount of work really is it, anyone with any sense will have a template on the PC and just fill in the drivers names as and when required... 10 mins work then email it off.

You've been there a couple of months I might be seen as simple, but didn't they deserve abit more time than that considering the time & money they've put into you? Look at H&R, you pay for pretty near everything now.
Just short of 6 months actually. Which is plenty of time to evalute whether a company is worth staying with. Most of the OP tours I did in the Army were 6 months and they were long enough.

I have only one line of loyalty... to my family and if a better job offer comes along then you'd be a muppet not to take it.

Bulk have spent a minimal amout on me here the move cost us around £20.000 dont be fooled by what companies tell you and all this bolloks you know its cost us alot of money to get you here.. toss it has virtualy cost them nothing to hire overseas drivers. They have to pay the airfare to get you here but thats all part of the programme and they get a lot of other kick backs from government by being part of that programme.

As for H&R dont go there people go somewhere esle.. simple if you dont agree with their policies vote with your feet.

I agree $1700 pcm is not a living wage. Are the problems at Bulk due to the court case mentioned elsewhere on this & the other forum? Or just the economic situation?
Court case I wont comment on we were told what it was all about and also informed loads were not being affected by this so you just have to take their word for it as I have not been given any other cast iron proof of this affecting Bulk. The ecconomy is playing a part I believe. Cavandish Farms here part of the Irving group are slowing production for a few weeks over the coming months so this will in turn affect the bottom feeder companies like Bulk and Seafood etc etc as loads will not be brokered out as much I would presume.... they will stay within "Midland" ... another bonus move eh!!!

It has been pointed out previously that as a newbie you start at the bottom of the ladder & work up, that the first 2 years can be very difficult. Also you need some money to support yourself when your pay is low
Are you NUTTS!!!

So I have to stay there for a longer period of time coz I'm a newbie compensating my monthly wage with savings watching them dwindle away or I can take another job doubling my monthly wage not having to use my savings.. cmon man get real eh

There have been a number of you go to Bulk recently, have they simply got too many drivers? Especially if the locals are short of work too. Are they all leaving too?
Not all leaving no only the ones which feels let down and can find better employment... think around 10 in the last few months. But you have to remember these companies recruitment doors are revolving as some leave some come in, just the way it is and this is not just Bulk SE are the same and the also the rest of the smaller companies. Sure it's the same at H&R for example.

What does the LMO state as regards pay? $800pw? Is this averaged out over a month, week or year?
Not sure cant remember would have to find it in the depths of the basement somewhere in packed boxes.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Wise words there from Davie

At the end of the day you have to do what's right for your family.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by loafy
Hello fellow Truckers,
Well it's like this, there are three trucking companies in the maritimes worth driving for but i drive for the best MIDLAND, this is my opinion and it's true of course.
Ok i drive team with me mate on the Michelin run and also every now and again on the so called triangle which is nothing like a triangle more of a swirly squiggly line. You could actually go anywhere with Midland but they don't and won't send you as they don't want there trucks sitting for reloads say out of Alberta or even over the western side of the USA, its' not there ground you might say.
They are above all very profesional and more than competent at what they do, so if you are a driver who thinks that their way is best then i suggest you go somewhere else, they have a system and it works for them and company drivers and owner operators of which they have a lot and they would tell you they are the best too.
I have worked for them now for 18 months and have to say that i have no complaints about them. I get a quality uniform for all weathers which is subsidized by them, they offer a good benefit plan and a great pension plan too which they contribute too. All their equipment is of good order and well maintained although they dont fit all their trucks with night heaters or tri packs which run your power for inverters and AC system so they do idle for some time in the hot and cold months, not good for the enviroment.
The pay is of the best around and they pay for waiting time and all bank holidays US or Canadian and have a safety bonus system and also if you hit 6k before sat midnight any miles after that is paid at time and a half. Breakdowns are paid for from the minute you call in and routine maintanace too.
Last year i cleared 55k and that was a slow year with lots of time off, i have not stopped working apart from scheduled time off. It's been a good year so far. (can't wait for my tax return )
I do a six to seven day trip away to the North and South carolinas and then you can take the standard three and half days off thou you can take less if you want and they don't mind if you take more. Two weeks paid holidays as per norm here.
We didn't get a rate increase on our miles this year but they paid me a one off payment of 600$ instead which is great as they could of just said we can't increase the mile rate due to the economy so fairs fair no complaints there.
I get my pre plan for the job i have to do i accept it go there drop reload and never here from them in between unless they need to speak to you. All communication is done by qualcom and it's very rare they will ask you to ring them, you organise when your truck is due for service and anything else, it is almost like being an O/O but you don't get the bill at the end.
I would recommend them to anybody who wants to work and work you will if you want it, they have plenty of work to go and being part of the Irving Group has a lot behind them. Most of the companies that Midland pull for are owned by the Irving group but they do have some big outside contracts too and are always looking to increase their load. Everybody is friendly helpful and if they cant' help they will put you in the right direction of someone who can.
Not sure what else their is to tell apart from they are very good to work for.

All the best...

LOAFY...
Allthough i never worked for Midland i used to deliver up in norther Maine and see them on the road, they struck me as being a profesional bunch of drivers. Did'nt break any speed records but kept up a steady pace. I did'nt hear any Brits on the CB but when two or three of them were running together they usualy talked about life in general, not bitching about the company like so many septic drivers do.

Charles
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Davie,

can't believe it hasn't worked out for you at bulk because I know you do your homework well!!
I said on BTA recently that I spoke to Jack Kelly at an imigration event in Belfast a few years ago and he seemed a decent bloke and answered my questions about OTR honestly (so I thought!!).
But I was always suspicious why the owner of a company with what 50 odd trucks(?) had been forced to come to a "backwater" like Belfast to look for drivers!!!!

I wish you all the very best at Midland, I had a notion at the back of my mind they used an agent similar to what Bison does unfortunately.

BTW,
you are 110% right,family comes first in ALL matters.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Thanks Davie,

can't believe it hasn't worked out for you at bulk because I know you do your homework well!!
I said on BTA recently that I spoke to Jack Kelly at an imigration event in Belfast a few years ago and he seemed a decent bloke and answered my questions about OTR honestly (so I thought!!).
But I was always suspicious why the owner of a company with what 50 odd trucks(?) had been forced to come to a "backwater" like Belfast to look for drivers!!!!

I wish you all the very best at Midland, I had a notion at the back of my mind they used an agent similar to what Bison does unfortunately.

BTW,
you are 110% right,family comes first in ALL matters.
Cheers BT. Is the west link finished being re-designed yet, was back there a couple of years ago and it was chaos.. should be by now LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.