Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Midland Transport, NS - Any Info?

Midland Transport, NS - Any Info?

Old Nov 16th 2009, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

branstonboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Midland Transport, NS - Any Info?

Just wondering if anyone has had more up to date dealings with Midland Transport, NS. Thinking of taking a scheduled team position with them and wondered if anyone had had dealings wth them lately? Thanks.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:39 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midland Transport, NS - Any Info?

Originally Posted by branstonboy
Just wondering if anyone has had more up to date dealings with Midland Transport, NS. Thinking of taking a scheduled team position with them and wondered if anyone had had dealings wth them lately? Thanks.
No knowledge of direct dealings or how they treat their employees. However, Midland, actually based in Saint John, N.B. with depots around the Maritimes. It is owned by the Irving conglomerate. As such they are financially stable and are a big player in Maritime Canada and the north eastern US. They own Irving Oil, Sunbury Trucking and numerous other major companies.
I was also wondering about you alias. Are you into pickle or could it be that is where you are from ?

Last edited by Simon Legree; Nov 17th 2009 at 1:41 am.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 3:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
No knowledge of direct dealings or how they treat their employees. However, Midland, actually based in Saint John, N.B. with depots around the Maritimes. It is owned by the Irving conglomerate. As such they are financially stable and are a big player in Maritime Canada and the north eastern US. They own Irving Oil, Sunbury Trucking and numerous other major companies.
I was also wondering about you alias. Are you into pickle or could it be that is where you are from ?
Thanks for the information, I didnt realise they are as big as you have indicated.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

peterlee_flyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't choose Midland if you want to travel the USA and Canada. 99% of the work is "running the triangle", from the NS, NB, or PEI to New York area, then to Toronto, then home again. This usually takes around 5 days, followed by 2 days off. Having talked to some drivers, I get the impression team is even worse - fixed runs, straight there and straight back, non-stop (and I mean non-stop - you sleep while the other guy drives). That's good if you want regular, predictable time at home. Pay is OK, and they pay all the little extras, like lay-overs, detention pay and breakdown pay.

However, I have also heard of conflict between the safety dept and the despatchers. They are said to be red-hot on hours compliance, yet under pressure to comlete runs that can't be done legally. If you bend the rules, you get a kicking from one side, if you don't get the job done, you get it from the other side.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that insight. I'm not bothered about the team side of it, I did it for 18 months and actually enjoyed it. The scheduled part also appeals to me as I'm juggling a young family and the wife will appreciate it, although I think I might get a bit bored with it! Thanks again, I appreciate your thoughts and time.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by branstonboy
Thanks for that insight. I'm not bothered about the team side of it, I did it for 18 months and actually enjoyed it. The scheduled part also appeals to me as I'm juggling a young family and the wife will appreciate it, although I think I might get a bit bored with it! Thanks again, I appreciate your thoughts and time.
Try sending a PM tp Loafy on here he drives for them
Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Thanks for that, I will do.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gremmie
And as from today so do I.....

Now theres a surprise eh!!

Started orientation this week and will be on the road by the week end.

As far as the team driving goes haven spoken to the others they have never made a better decision...doubling the wages they were getting elsewhere.

You know when your going out, coming back, where your going... which suites me to a T....

If being highly proffesional not bending logbook rules is being over the top this also suites me and running team you should never be out of hours anyway.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

One of the drivers summed it up today to me by saying:

As far as he believes in the Maritime region there is no better more professional company to work for anything else is a step downwards and backwards.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

aha! Bob Curzon (?) said he'd had a Brit in his office yesterday when I spoke to him.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

So C'mon Dave what was wrong with Bulk ... Spill the beans

ps : Good Luck with your new job Guess it must be easier to swap jobs in PEI than Alberta on a WP
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

That was quick!!!!

Are Bulk another one of those OTR "Meat in the seat" trucking companies who promise you the world but fail to deliver?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Truck
That was quick!!!!

Are Bulk another one of those OTR "Meat in the seat" trucking companies who promise you the world but fail to deliver?
No but this is another of your 'Donkey following a carrot' posts, you realy should get a job as a " paparazi "
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

taff trucker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
And as from today so do I.....

Now theres a surprise eh!!

Started orientation this week and will be on the road by the week end.

As far as the team driving goes haven spoken to the others they have never made a better decision...doubling the wages they were getting elsewhere.

You know when your going out, coming back, where your going... which suites me to a T....

If being highly proffesional not bending logbook rules is being over the top this also suites me and running team you should never be out of hours anyway.
Davie,

Good luck in the new job, I held back from saying anything before as I wanted you to break your own news. I hope everything works out for you and look forward to catching up with you soon.

Steve
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

peterlee_flyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big Truck
That was quick!!!!

That would really make your day, wouldn't it?

Why do you even care? Are you still pretending you'll ever have the courage to make the leap yourself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.