Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Medicine Hat Trucking companies

Medicine Hat Trucking companies

Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:39 am
Just Joined

gr8y is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicine Hat Trucking companies

Hi all,
I've been looking around for a company in or close to Medicine Hat that employ UK drivers. I know H&R are in Lethbridge about 2 hours away but they require 5 years experience, i only have 2. I have e-mailed Caron, Big Eagle, Rosenau, McMillan and also Smith, all without replies. Do any subsiduaries of Siemens have a depot there? I know Kindersley (siemens) have an agent in Medicine Hat. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

scooby109 will become famous soon enoughscooby109 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Medicine Hat Trucking companies

Hi mate

1 Have you actually phoned any of these companies? A lot of companies seem to ignore email enquires until you actually phone.

2 what sort of experience have you got, ie european or just UK, hat wil count more than the number of years.

Scooby
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi Scooby,

No, Not phoned any companies in Canada yet. Another driver (Lyndon) suggested the same thing. The reason is, i'm just trying to set my stall out for when i will have 2 years experience in July this year. I would feel i was wasting their time otherwise.
I also have limited experience really. I drive artics everyday but am also home everyday, no nights away. I would've loved the opportunity to tramp round the country but i thought catch 22, if i leave my present job after only 18 months for a tramping job it looks like i'm not commited and can't hold a job down.
I will call the companies in July though, but i would prefer Medicine Hat as i have close family there.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gr8y
Hi Scooby,

No, Not phoned any companies in Canada yet. Another driver (Lyndon) suggested the same thing. The reason is, i'm just trying to set my stall out for when i will have 2 years experience in July this year. I would feel i was wasting their time otherwise.
I also have limited experience really. I drive artics everyday but am also home everyday, no nights away. I would've loved the opportunity to tramp round the country but i thought catch 22, if i leave my present job after only 18 months for a tramping job it looks like i'm not commited and can't hold a job down.
I will call the companies in July though, but i would prefer Medicine Hat as i have close family there.
1. ya experience or lack of should not stop you NOW applying for jobs
2, Dont limit your self to Med Hat,,there,s naffall there, Calgary,or Regina would be better bets.Both only a couple of hours from ya family.

Good Luck
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

scooby109 will become famous soon enoughscooby109 will become famous soon enough

just spoke to h&R apparently they are full, ans steve is in the uk on family business
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scooby109
just spoke to h&R apparently they are full, ans steve is in the uk on family business
the plot thickens
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

it does buts its a bugger when they canx and I have the flight booked

whats the other options now??? does anyone really know of a half decent company that is looking
Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Gremmie,
i will take another look at Regina or Calgary. So, that could be Kindersley or maybe Westcan (Moose Jaw, Calgary, Saskatoon). I didn't realise Regina was only a couple of hours away from Medicine Hat. Just exploring the options available for moving close to family. Regarding options, i hope the opportunities are still there in July for as Scooby says H&R are full. Thanks again for the advice and hope your hand heals quickly
Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Gremmie,
i will take another look at Regina or Calgary. So, that could be Kindersley or maybe Westcan (Moose Jaw, Calgary, Saskatoon). I didn't realise Regina was only a couple of hours away from Medicine Hat. Just exploring the options available for moving close to family. Regarding options, i hope the opportunities are still there in July for as Scooby says H&R are full. Thanks again for the advice and hope your hand heals quickly
Regina is about 41/2 hrs,which sounds alot,but by Canada standards is not so far
Plus remember as a long haul trucker you may be away for a few weeks at a time so near family is not such a big deal..as for kindersly and westcan their are 100s of others too
Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Well the medicine hat thing was for my wife and kids. They get on really well with my brother and his family who live there. I was thinking when i'm away it won't be so difficult for them with my brother and his family around. I also have a nephew and his family in Calgary but when looking for property just outside of there (Okotoks, Cochrane, Strathmore) wow $200,000 trailers.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:44 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Well the medicine hat thing was for my wife and kids. They get on really well with my brother and his family who live there. I was thinking when i'm away it won't be so difficult for them with my brother and his family around. I also have a nephew and his family in Calgary but when looking for property just outside of there (Okotoks, Cochrane, Strathmore) wow $200,000 trailers.
I think the idea is that, as you're only driving to your place of work once every 2 weeks (if that's how long you're out in the truck), you can live in Medicine Hat & work for a company in Calgary.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi koogar'
as long as thats ok with the company it would suit me fine. I]ll put it on my list of questions to ask them.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

I know an ex squaddie who went to Med Hat a couple of years back, he was driving for a companyin Med Hat and he had less than 2 yrs experience!
Try the following:
1 Yellow pages Canada, find it on line, search it for trucking companies in Med Hat
2. Write to all of them, like a cover letter type thing
3. Give it a 2 week period and then give them a call
They might not offer you a job but they will tell you if they are interested or what your short falls are?
It wont do you any harm to establish a connection with them now, you never know you might just get a wee gem of an offer?
Good luck and let us know how it goes