Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

looking to emigrate from the UK

looking to emigrate from the UK

Old Jun 18th 2015, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Turts05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking to emigrate from the UK

Hi all.
I am a cat CE driver here in the UK aged 37, licence had for 9 years.
my family and I would love to permanently move out to Canada, ideally Ontario due to friends being there already, although after looking a bit deeper in to it i see Ontario don't offer the Perm residency for truck driving.
Is this likely to change do we think ?
Or is another province better choice ?
Cheers
Old Jun 19th 2015, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking to emigrate from the UK

Who knows if PR will change in ON, things change out here at the flip of a coin. There is a lack of LMIA's at the minute and as has been said on other threads a downturn in the oil industry, so plenty of Canadian drivers to go round.
If you're desperate to get out here, take a job wherever you can, then move where you want after PR.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 6:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilg14
Who knows if PR will change in ON, things change out here at the flip of a coin.
They do, but I'm not sure this would be among any changes. ON just doesn't need to attract 'unskilled' workers, unlike other provinces.

In my 8 years of working in immigration and being a mod on this forum it's never been possible to get PR as a trucker in Ontario and I can't see that changing anytime soon tbh.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

So, Turts05, it looks like you'd be better off finding another Province but as I said previously LMIA's are thin on the ground at the minute, just have to keep your eyes open.
Have a look on Kijiji, jobbank.ca & indeedjobs.ca and also truckstopnews.co.uk although I haven't seen any Canadian companies advertising in there since about July last year.
Keep looking on here, occasionally someone will post if they've seen or heard about any LMIA's available.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Cheers for the comments guys,
Looks like it could be a long tricky road in then, I'll keep looking though with fingers crossed, in hindsight should have applied a few years back when we first thought about it now the LMIA is a pricey option for the employers .
Would you guys recommend an agency to work for me and help find an opening or better to do all my own groundwork ?
TIA
Old Jun 19th 2015, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

Do not use an agent whatever you do, they will just rob you of thousands and will not really help you find a job, they specifically state they wont do that in their contract, you only have to google the agents names to find out how little they do.

I remember back in 2007 when I first looked into it all Ontario wouldn't issue visas from truck drivers i'm sure but since then they will, just no PNP scheme for us. Also back then BC wouldn't do either but now they have a truck driver PNP so there is a chance it'll change.

The thing you have to consider is that they want to encourage more spread out immigration rather than everyone just going straight to Vancouver and Toronto which is why the provinces all have their own PNPs are want you to stay there. It's the same with NZ, you get extra points for going outside of Auckland. So if you want to go to one of the two main cities in Canada you can expect a harder time doing so.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Kiowan.
Looks like Manitoba like Ontario don't offer perm either .
Old Jun 20th 2015, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Mantoba do.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 6:10 am
Just Joined

localhero73 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys just reading through some of the post whats the LMIA PNP short for?
I'm looking at working in Canada I've got 16 yrs class 1 experience of many different types i.e car transporters, steel etc I'm not looking to emigrate as of yet, a working holiday approx 1 yr at a time to see how things go, is this a better option rather than applying for residency? thanks
Old Jun 20th 2015, 9:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turts05
Thanks Kiowan.
Looks like Manitoba like Ontario don't offer perm either .
Manitoba definitely do, under their PNP. It's one of the two most popular provinces for truckers as you've got the best chance of PR there (SK and MB). You need to have worked in MB for at least 6 months before you can apply and be on a valid work permit, but that's how a lot on here have got PR.

Originally Posted by localhero73
hi guys just reading through some of the post whats the LMIA PNP short for?
I'm looking at working in Canada I've got 16 yrs class 1 experience of many different types i.e car transporters, steel etc I'm not looking to emigrate as of yet, a working holiday approx 1 yr at a time to see how things go, is this a better option rather than applying for residency? thanks
LMIA - Labour Market Impact Assessment. Basically an assessment by the Canadian government that your employer has to apply for (at a cost of $1000 to them), to prove that they can't find an Canadian willing or able to do the job and so need to hire a foreign worker.

PNP - Provincial Nominee Program.

Both of these terms are listed in the Wiki article about Canadian immigration abbreviations, you can find it from the main Canada section of the forum if you follow the 'Newbies please read me' link on there.

It doesn't sound to me as though you'd qualify for a working holiday visa if you've got 16 years of experience, as they're only for people aged 30 or under? So you could go over on a LMIA/TWP if you can find an employer prepared to sponsor you (as said above, very rare these days), you don't have to apply for PR once there if you don't want to but that's up to you.

If you have any further visa related questions, then the immi section of the Canada forum is the best place to ask them.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 20th 2015 at 9:47 am.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 9:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Kiowan
Also back then BC wouldn't do either but now they have a truck driver PNP so there is a chance it'll change.
BC has accepted truckers since 2008 under their PNP.

HTH.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 11:11 am
Just Joined

localhero73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Manitoba definitely do, under their PNP. It's one of the two most popular provinces for truckers as you've got the best chance of PR there (SK and MB). You need to have worked in MB for at least 6 months before you can apply and be on a valid work permit, but that's how a lot on here have got PR.

LMIA - Labour Market Impact Assessment. Basically an assessment by the Canadian government that your employer has to apply for (at a cost of $1000 to them), to prove that they can't find an Canadian willing or able to do the job and so need to hire a foreign worker.

PNP - Provincial Nominee Program.

Both of these terms are listed in the Wiki article about Canadian immigration abbreviations, you can find it from the main Canada section of the forum if you follow the 'Newbies please read me' link on there.

It doesn't sound to me as though you'd qualify for a working holiday visa if you've got 16 years of experience, as they're only for people aged 30 or under? So you could go over on a LMIA/TWP if you can find an employer prepared to sponsor you (as said above, very rare these days), you don't have to apply for PR once there if you don't want to but that's up to you.

If you have any further visa related questions, then the immi section of the Canada forum is the best place to ask them.

HTH, good luck.
thanks!
Old Jun 20th 2015, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Manitoba looks like we could fit In There I cant seem to find confirmation that truck drivers could potentially get in though found other careers any links for this info ,?
Thanks
Old Jun 21st 2015, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

Mb is where a lot of us received PR without any problems......in MB the Pr application is in your hands and not at your employers whims like other provinces.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

Manitoba PNP definitely accepts truck drivers, i'm in the middle of the process at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.