License Conversion

Old Oct 30th 2018, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

pgreene85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default License Conversion

Hello all,

My partner and I are in the early stages of looking into immigration to Canada, preferable Ontario.

He has a UK Class 1 and Class 2 license and from everything I’m seeing so far it appears he has to retake all his tests in Canada. Is that right? If so, how can employers sponsor you as a truck driver if you have to retake all the tests?

Sorry but I am just finding this very confusing.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 2:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: License Conversion

Hi, welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by pgreene85 View Post
My partner and I are in the early stages of looking into immigration to Canada, preferable Ontario.
Just checking, but you're aware that there is no route to Permanent Residency for truckers in Ontario?

I'm sure some of our fab truckers (and possibly a couple of the not so fab ones ) will be along to help with info re: tests shortly. Have the read the Wiki article about trucking? https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada_

Good luck.
Old Nov 17th 2018, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: License Conversion

He will have to do an airbrake theory & practical test. A general theory test. Plus a practical (driving) test. I believe there maybe more training specified as well now.

As said before truck driving in Ontario is not a route to PR. You can work on a TWP (temporary work permit) but that’s it.

I believe Manitoba & Alberta will nominate you still.