Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Visa obtained but what about HGV requirements..?

Visa obtained but what about HGV requirements..?

Old Aug 13th 2019, 9:09 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 18
JillTr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa obtained but what about HGV requirements..?

From next year, my nephew has been awarded an IEC 24 month Working Holiday visa which will allow him legally to travel and work in Canada. Consequently, he is not having to have a job to go to, nor find one which would help him to get entry/visa etc. (He is looking on it as the opportunity, whilst there, to apply for permanent residence and work as a trucker).

Here in the UK he has his HGV Class 1 and ADR tanks 2-7, 8 and 9 qualifications (although his tanks will need renewing, this winter) and he fulfils the 'Requirements' listed in the Wiki page. Despite reading relevant threads and the helpful Wiki articles and other searches, we're still not absolutely sure whether he will have to re-do his HGV licence (he knows he will have to do an air-brake test ?) At the moment, he is considering (very different areas?) Ontario, Yukon and Saskatchewan - I believe there may be different rules for different states? Also, would you think it worth his while renewing his tanks qualifications before he leaves the UK?

Naturally, we're trying to find out as much as we can about what he needs to do, to be in the best position to get a job as a trucker, and so all and any advice and information will be very welcome! Thank you!
JillTr is offline  
Old Aug 16th 2019, 12:53 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
wire's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Manitoba.
Posts: 88
wire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa obtained but what about HGV requirements..?

Congratulations on your nephew re his 2yr working Visa. I am sure that he will have a memorable time here in Canada whatever he decides to do work wise.
As for truck driving. As you may have already gathered, he would indeed have to take his truck driver license again to obtain the Canadian equivalent of the UK HGV license regardless of his current UK qualification and unfortunately that is where the problem lies as of recently.
It used to be a case of taking the theory air brake and driving tests then practical pre trip, airbrake and driving tests which wasn't too bad but as of recently new minimum entry level training (MELT) requirements have been introduced which mean that the training is now a minimum of 240 hours.
The training is now costing students around $10,000 which also means that companies are much less likely to fund new potential drivers training.
Of course there is nothing stopping your nephew from arriving in Canada and paying for his own training and indeed he would almost certainly have no problem getting a job if he did that but wether he would consider that much investment to be worth while is another matter especially for a 2yr Visa.
wire is offline  
Old Aug 16th 2019, 2:46 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 18
JillTr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa obtained but what about HGV requirements..?

Originally Posted by wire View Post
Congratulations on your nephew re his 2yr working Visa. I am sure that he will have a memorable time here in Canada whatever he decides to do work wise.

As for truck driving. As you may have already gathered, he would indeed have to take his truck driver license again to obtain the Canadian equivalent of the UK HGV license regardless of his current UK qualification and unfortunately that is where the problem lies as of recently.

It used to be a case of taking the theory air brake and driving tests then practical pre trip, airbrake and driving tests which wasn't too bad but as of recently new minimum entry level training (MELT) requirements have been introduced which mean that the training is now a minimum of 240 hours.
The training is now costing students around $10,000 which also means that companies are much less likely to fund new potential drivers training.
Of course there is nothing stopping your nephew from arriving in Canada and paying for his own training and indeed he would almost certainly have no problem getting a job if he did that but wether he would consider that much investment to be worth while is another matter especially for a 2yr Visa.
Thank you so much for your full and helpful reply, very kind of you to take the time.

That sounds like a considerable financial burden so will probably scotch his dream of HGV trucking in Canada, but that's his decision of course.

Being cheeky and asking more questions please! If he decided to do eg courier driving, at least initially, would he have what he needs for that or would he also need to do additional licence training for that too? Thank you

JillTr is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2019, 6:32 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
wire's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Manitoba.
Posts: 88
wire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa obtained but what about HGV requirements..?

Certainly in Manitoba a UK car license can be directly exchanged for the equivalent Canadian car license and I would imagine the other provinces would also work the same way although I admit that I cannot say for certain how it works in the other provinces. Regardless, the Canadian car driver rest is a simple and easy thing anyway.
Your nephew is sadly unfortunate regarding the timing of his work visa as up until a matter of months ago there were companies who would probably have been prepared to train him and get him through the tests on condition that he worked for them for an agreed time frame afterwards.
Saying all that, it could still be worthwhile contacting big companies to enquire about training and employment to see what they say and in any case, a 2yr working visa in Canada is potentially quite an adventure for a young person and I am sure that he will find it to be a great experience.
wire is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2019, 9:52 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 18
JillTr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa obtained but what about HGV requirements..?

Thank you, again for your help and time. Much to consider and further research but yes, it'll still be a wonderful opportunity for him even if he views it as an extended holiday only.
JillTr is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2019, 2:38 pm
  #6  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 29,965
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa obtained but what about HGV requirements..?

Tell him to forget Ontario - there is no route to PR as a trucker there, as it's not considered a 'skilled' job.

HTH.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2019, 6:19 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 18
JillTr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa obtained but what about HGV requirements..?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Tell him to forget Ontario - there is no route to PR as a trucker there, as it's not considered a 'skilled' job.

HTH.
Thank you, this is all very helpful information.
JillTr is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2019, 10:39 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: High River AB
Posts: 571
neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa obtained but what about HGV requirements..?

Originally Posted by wire View Post
Congratulations on your nephew re his 2yr working Visa. I am sure that he will have a memorable time here in Canada whatever he decides to do work wise.
As for truck driving. As you may have already gathered, he would indeed have to take his truck driver license again to obtain the Canadian equivalent of the UK HGV license regardless of his current UK qualification and unfortunately that is where the problem lies as of recently.
It used to be a case of taking the theory air brake and driving tests then practical pre trip, airbrake and driving tests which wasn't too bad but as of recently new minimum entry level training (MELT) requirements have been introduced which mean that the training is now a minimum of 240 hours.
The training is now costing students around $10,000 which also means that companies are much less likely to fund new potential drivers training.
Of course there is nothing stopping your nephew from arriving in Canada and paying for his own training and indeed he would almost certainly have no problem getting a job if he did that but wether he would consider that much investment to be worth while is another matter especially for a 2yr Visa.
Just a minor point, the MELT requirements hours-wise are not the same in each Province and at the moment only 4 Provinces enforce the MELT programme with the price around $10K.
AB-113hrs
ON-103.5hrs
SK-121.5hrs
MB-121.5hrs
The other Provinces are likely to follow shortly so that it is Canada wide.
neilg14 is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2019, 10:37 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 18
JillTr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa obtained but what about HGV requirements..?

Originally Posted by neilg14 View Post


Just a minor point, the MELT requirements hours-wise are not the same in each Province and at the moment only 4 Provinces enforce the MELT programme with the price around $10K.
AB-113hrs
ON-103.5hrs
SK-121.5hrs
MB-121.5hrs
The other Provinces are likely to follow shortly so that it is Canada wide.
Thank you. It's interesting to hear that they are wanting to bring in a nationwide programme and yet the hours differ. It sounds like by the time my nephew is in Canada, MELT and 10k will be the norm, which will be a big hurdle to overcome.
JillTr is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2019, 11:10 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
wire's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Manitoba.
Posts: 88
wire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa obtained but what about HGV requirements..?

You may be correct although another way of looking at it is that a CDL license has suddenly become more difficult to obtain so consequently a person who has one is more valuable. Therefore if he were to somehow manage to get his CDL license he would be in big demand and have no problem getting a decent job. If he were to settle in a province such as Manitoba there is a good possibility that an employer might try to get him a LMIA work permit after his 2yr temporary visa expires should he desire to look into permanent residence and emigration.
wire is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2019, 1:09 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 18
JillTr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa obtained but what about HGV requirements..?

Originally Posted by wire View Post
You may be correct although another way of looking at it is that a CDL license has suddenly become more difficult to obtain so consequently a person who has one is more valuable. Therefore if he were to somehow manage to get his CDL license he would be in big demand and have no problem getting a decent job. If he were to settle in a province such as Manitoba there is a good possibility that an employer might try to get him a LMIA work permit after his 2yr temporary visa expires should he desire to look into permanent residence and emigration.
Yes, good thought. I'm away at the moment and have been sending my nephew all this information but I've yet to talk to him so I'll be very interested to hear what he says. Thanks again.
JillTr is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.