Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

How to get into HGV in Europe..

How to get into HGV in Europe..

Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:35 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get into HGV in Europe..

Originally Posted by dinger24
Actually you hand your UK license back when you are in Canada so you loose grandfather rights - anyone who has a driving license issued after sept 09 will require to sit the drivers CPC - you only have grandfather rights if you have a current valid C and C+E cat before Sept 09. If for example you have this cat now but have returned your UK licence back to DVLA I am afraid you will have lost your grandfather rights once you request a licensefrom DVLA.
So stick needles in your peepers or sit CPC on return to the UK
"Actually you hand your UK license back when you are in Canada so you loose grandfather rights"

Not all provinces require you to surrender your UK license, i still have mine and it comes in handy when i'm driving my car in the states
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

OK!
I thought that it was all provinces!
See everyday is a school day
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

coritani is an unknown quantity at this point

OK!
I thought that it was all provinces!
See everyday is a school day
I'm definitely going to try my best to keep mine. Regardless of everything else, who trusts the DVLA to hold onto their licence and send it back with the correct categories anyway! Just look at the report on watchdog the other day where they erased all those peoples motorcycle entitlements and made them re-sit their tests, even a policeman!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Driver CPC states that you are required to have completed it within 5yrs as from Sept 09 if your license was issued before that date. It is not if you sat your test before this date, it may seem strange but it means if you loose your licence then when it is replaced you will loose your grandfather rights irrespective of how it was lost. When you renew your licence you will not be registered as completing your CPC - so double their
PS I am on mine now!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Driver CPC states that you are required to have completed it within 5yrs as from Sept 09 if your license was issued before that date. It is not if you sat your test before this date, it may seem strange but it means if you loose your licence then when it is replaced you will loose your grandfather rights irrespective of how it was lost. When you renew your licence you will not be registered as completing your CPC - so double their
PS I am on mine now!
Time will tell. I'm only going by what the DVLA told me. They said the dates that matter are the dates that I passed my tests, dates which will be on any licence I ever have, regardless of the date it was last issued. What happens if in two years time from now you lose your driving licence and get a new one issued? The issue date will be from then, but on the back your categories will say when they were passed and are valid up until.

The issuing date is irrelivent anyway, its only there because you have to update your photocard every ten years. Once your ten years is up, you get a new card with a new issue date, that doesn't then make all your hgv cats unusable without a cpc, it just means you've got another 10 years on that card.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes I agree with all you say with the exception that you require CPC with your new license the only reason you have grandfather rights is because the industry would come to a standstill other wise. Within the next couple of years no one will employ you without drivers CPC, its not the DVLA anyway its EU regulations DVLA only issue the licence not drivers CPC.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I agree with all you say with the exception that you require CPC with your new license the only reason you have grandfather rights is because the industry would come to a standstill other wise. Within the next couple of years no one will employ you without drivers CPC, its not the DVLA anyway its EU regulations DVLA only issue the licence not drivers CPC.
We wont acquire anything until 2014 or before that date if you complete the refresher earlier, only new drivers from September 09 will actually have a drivers cpc card. Once drivers with acquired rights complete those 35 hours or whatever it is, we then get our first drivers cpc card. All enforcement bodies will look at is the date it says your Class 2 is valid from, ie the date you passed your test. For people like us who passed years ago, no drivers cpc card will be required until September 2014, for all those that passed their test on or after September 10 2009, a cpc card will be required.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:09 am
Account Closed

ukkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I know were 1 of those motorcycle entitlements has gone. when my wife changed her german driving license with just a car and a 125cc bike entitlement on it for a UK license they gave her a full motorcycle entitlement and i donĀ“t even trust her on a pushbike let alone a proper bike
Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

This is true about the motorbike entitlement - My last job I dealt with driving licences for around 150 guys and almost every other licence that was sent away whether it was an address change or add a cat etc would come back wrong, it just made what was a 14 day job turn into a month or even 2 month long problem. It is typical of almost all UK government run dept - with the odd exception
Old May 1st 2009, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

didster7 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you hold a full HGV licence before september 2009 you get grandfather rights to the CPC. However that only lasts 5yrs, so you have to sit a CPC test every 5yrs thereafter. So if you go canada in sept 2009 and come back in oct 2014 you would need to do a CPC before you could drive a HGV.
Old May 1st 2009, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by didster7
If you hold a full HGV licence before september 2009 you get grandfather rights to the CPC. However that only lasts 5yrs, so you have to sit a CPC test every 5yrs thereafter. So if you go canada in sept 2009 and come back in oct 2014 you would need to do a CPC before you could drive a HGV.
I'm sure these cards will be "available"?

I'm sure an employer could "arrange" one for you, should the need arise. Where there is a will, there is are way. Load of old EU bollocks anyway.

What do you think the Greeks & Italians are going to do? Sit in class? Excuse me, but I can't see the Romanians & Bulgarians paying too much attention either.

I think you're getting abit paranoid, You wanna go work in Canada? Then GO. You're leaving UK to escape all this crap anyway, so why worry about what "maybe" needed in 5 years. Concentrate on now & getting the move right. EU WTD & CPC? Let em poke it up their bureaucratic assholes, then they can all stand there & impersonate Napoleon.
Old May 1st 2009, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

ive been dying to ask all week,, whats a cpc
Old May 1st 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

certificate of proffesional compitance i believe graham..
Old May 1st 2009, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jamesmc
Straight from the EU dictionary. You haven't got a link to that have you?
Old May 1st 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
please expand on that definition some one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.