Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

How to get into HGV in Europe..

How to get into HGV in Europe..

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

mydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to get into HGV in Europe..

Hey Truckers. I don't know too much about truck driving in europe, but seeing as my main profession (Architecture) has hit the skids right now I have the chance to look into a long time interest I have had for driving Juggernauts across Europe! (Until they start building houses and offices again). I got a heavy traffic license years ago but it isn't current any more, so i would have to train from scratch.
I'm living in Holland, but originally from NZ/UK, but would be getting a license in the Netherlands i guess, unless you can train in UK and then get work on the continent?
Would you think in the current economic climate that there would be work at the end of training?
Any recommendations of who to contact about it?
Anyone who thinks it's a ******* mad idea!
Cheers.
P.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

mydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get into HGV in Europe..

I'll get my coat...
Attached Thumbnails How to get into HGV in Europe..-tumbleweed01.gif  
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:55 am
Account Closed

ukkie is an unknown quantity at this point

In the Netherlands you can go to the CWI (jobcentre) and they can tell you about employers who are willing to pay for your training and to give you a job. I know Heisterkamp transport and Ranstad transport did this until recently but i can´t say fore sure as i´m no longer living in Holland. To pay for a C+E license yourself would set you back about €7000,-. But i do know that if you are an architect why don´t you train to be a safety inspector (VCA veiligheidscontroleur) far less expensive training, better money and they are still short of inspectors.

Hope it is of some use.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mydogbitjesus
Hey Truckers. I don't know too much about truck driving in europe, but seeing as my main profession (Architecture) has hit the skids right now I have the chance to look into a long time interest I have had for driving Juggernauts across Europe! (Until they start building houses and offices again). I got a heavy traffic license years ago but it isn't current any more, so i would have to train from scratch.
I'm living in Holland, but originally from NZ/UK, but would be getting a license in the Netherlands i guess, unless you can train in UK and then get work on the continent?
Would you think in the current economic climate that there would be work at the end of training?
Any recommendations of who to contact about it?
Anyone who thinks it's a ******* mad idea!
Cheers.
P.
You can train in the UK. The licence is valid throughout Europe. I suggest you find a company willing to give you a job before laying out your cash. I think Dutch Transport has been hit as hard as anyone out there. You could try Nedexco at Rilland, or any of the produce carriers ?? Combilo at Waddinxveen, Post Kogeko at Maasland? Go in & ask.

WARNING: It reads better than it lives....

Ukkie's suggestion sounds a good one to me if there are vacancies.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

coritani is an unknown quantity at this point

With the drivers cpc coming in in September, the costs would most likely be astronomical....where as it would cost say £2000-£3000 before, I dread to think how much it would be now......but there you go, we must attract new recruits and make ourselves more professional on paper at all costs....even if it does put a stop to 95% of potential truck drivers doing it, because they can't blooming well afford it.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the comments guy's.
Much appreciated. Will check out a few local operators around here.
Regards,
P.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

The CPC that comes into effect in Sept will cost you a few quid
But thankfully most of us will have grandfather rights! but it seems that as a driver we need to renew it within five years by means of sitting a number of modules, again costing you or your employer more cash!
Just thinking of the drivers in Canada that come Sept you will need to sit this should you wish to return to the UK and drive again
Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point

"Just thinking of the drivers in Canada that come Sept you will need to sit this should you wish to return to the UK and drive again"

Not bloody likely!!!!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dinger24
The CPC that comes into effect in Sept will cost you a few quid
But thankfully most of us will have grandfather rights! but it seems that as a driver we need to renew it within five years by means of sitting a number of modules, again costing you or your employer more cash!
Just thinking of the drivers in Canada that come Sept you will need to sit this should you wish to return to the UK and drive again
Thats not what the dvla told me. They said once I get my British licence re-issued I'll be ok for the five years of grandfather rights as my tests were passed when they were passed, nothing to do with when the licence is sent back to you to start driving in the UK again. Anybody who passed their class 2 before September 2009 gets grandfather rights, wether they're here or happen to be in Canada at the time the new rules come in. The date you pass your test never changes and is what counts. I was told that my licence is not cancelled when the Canadians send it back to Swansea, its just put in file so I don't hold two licences concurrently and will simply be re-issued to me upon my return.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes ...
Old Apr 29th 2009, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather stick needles in Kb33 eyes
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

You dont have to be physically present in the UK and driving a truck in September to gain grandfather rights. You need to have passed your class two test before September, which we all have, regardless of which country we are living and working in come September. Not that I want to drive a truck in the UK again, but until I have PR in Canada, you can't be certain what will happen.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Actually you hand your UK license back when you are in Canada so you loose grandfather rights - anyone who has a driving license issued after sept 09 will require to sit the drivers CPC - you only have grandfather rights if you have a current valid C and C+E cat before Sept 09. If for example you have this cat now but have returned your UK licence back to DVLA I am afraid you will have lost your grandfather rights once you request a licensefrom DVLA.
So stick needles in your peepers or sit CPC on return to the UK
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dinger24
Actually you hand your UK license back when you are in Canada so you loose grandfather rights - anyone who has a driving license issued after sept 09 will require to sit the drivers CPC - you only have grandfather rights if you have a current valid C and C+E cat before Sept 09. If for example you have this cat now but have returned your UK licence back to DVLA I am afraid you will have lost your grandfather rights once you request a licensefrom DVLA.
So stick needles in your peepers or sit CPC on return to the UK
I went into my local DVLA office and rang Swansea and they empathetically told me that when the Canadians send my UK licence to them, its not cancelled its just kept on file and is still current and they will send it back upon application. All they will do is send a replacement of my original licence and as I or you passed your tests on whatever date we did, that means we have grandfather rights. Its not really any different to losing your licence and applying for a new one on September the 2nd...just because they issue a new licence, it doesn't mean that your class one and two dont count for grandfather rights. If you passed your test in 1980, 1990, 2000 or 2008 thats all that matters., so long as its before September this year.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coritani
I went into my local DVLA office and rang Swansea and they empathetically told me that when the Canadians send my UK licence to them, its not cancelled its just kept on file and is still current and they will send it back upon application. All they will do is send a replacement of my original licence and as I or you passed your tests on whatever date we did, that means we have grandfather rights. Its not really any different to losing your licence and applying for a new one on September the 2nd...just because they issue a new licence, it doesn't mean that your class one and two dont count for grandfather rights. If you passed your test in 1980, 1990, 2000 or 2008 thats all that matters., so long as its before September this year.
So their

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.