Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

good wages good benefits for truckers with pr

good wages good benefits for truckers with pr

Old Sep 22nd 2012, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

daz and jack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default good wages good benefits for truckers with pr

hi we have been in canada for nearly 6 yrs now and have finally found a company that pays good money. it`s a small company that is looking for reliable drivers only downside is you must be a resident and live in grande prairie alberta. You are away for 5 days and have 5 days off but you may work some of your days off if you wish this is oilpatch work but it`s year round. As long as you have a class 1 licence they will train you for fluid hauling. you may have to obtain your first aid and h2s but the other tickets they will supply.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all
Default Re: good wages good benefits for truckers with pr

That sounds ideal for me, I'd love to actually do perhaps 15 days straight then 5 days off...would safety regulations allow that though???
Old Nov 20th 2012, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Small hitch in that you aren't a resident , and do not live in Grand Prairie, otherwise the jobs yours. Anyhow thought you were looking for poorly paid work on the Eastern side ?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Small hitch in that you aren't a resident , and do not live in Grand Prairie, otherwise the jobs yours. Anyhow thought you were looking for poorly paid work on the Eastern side ?
Yes I was originally looking at Eastern side for two main reason;
1;proximity to the coast.
2;shorter flights to UK than West coast.
However, I'm learning now that wages are poor on the East side. Strangely enough though when I was looking at moving to Canada about five years ago Alberta had become my favored destination. I'm sort of starting afresh now though and if there is good money to be earned then that would take precedent over living somewhere close to the coast.

Last edited by Gazman; Nov 20th 2012 at 3:39 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

meritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gazman
Yes I was originally looking at Eastern side for two main reason;
1;proximity to the coast.
2;shorter flights to UK than West coast.
However, I'm learning now that wages are poor on the East side. Strangely enough though when I was looking at moving to Canada about five years ago Alberta had become my favored destination. I'm sort of starting afresh now though and if there is good money to be earned then that would take precedent over living somewhere close to the coast.
if you are worried about the length of the flight to the west,stay where you are now!!!
Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meritor
if you are worried about the length of the flight to the west,stay where you are now!!!
Tell me more...how long is the flight from Manchester to Calgary or Vancouver for example?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

meritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nice

Tell me more...how long is the flight from Manchester to Calgary or Vancouver for example?
Manchester to Calgary is about 9 hours,if you can find one,Vancouver is about another hour,it seems to be cheap flights to Canada are a thing of the past.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meritor
Manchester to Calgary is about 9 hours,if you can find one,Vancouver is about another hour,it seems to be cheap flights to Canada are a thing of the past.
Thanks for that...having thought about it that's really not too long at all if my visits back to UK were just occasional. At the moment my occasional visits back to UK form Ireland take that long too!, 3.5 hour drive to Dublin Port, 3.5 hour ferry journey, then 2 hours from Holyhead to visit further the folks...= 9 hours! That's if there is no delay on the A55
...hmm, Alberta is calling me again......
Old Nov 21st 2012, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

heydon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that...having thought about it that's really not too long at all if my visits back to UK were just occasional. At the moment my occasional visits back to UK form Ireland take that long too!, 3.5 hour drive to Dublin Port, 3.5 hour ferry journey, then 2 hours from Holyhead to visit further the folks...= 9 hours! That's if there is no delay on the A55
...hmm, Alberta is calling me again......
and your looking at about 2-3 years to get permanent residency as well you need to find a company with an lmo and get a work visa that way
Old Nov 21st 2012, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by heydon1983
and your looking at about 2-3 years to get permanent residency as well you need to find a company with an lmo and get a work visa that way
Is it really that long for PR, 2-3- years???...Oh dear, I thought I'd read somewhere that some provinces would give PR to long haul drivers after completing six months employment.
So if it's possibly going to be 2-3 years, will a temp work permit last that long???
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really that long for PR, 2-3- years???...Oh dear, I thought I'd read somewhere that some provinces would give PR to long haul drivers after completing six months employment.
So if it's possibly going to be 2-3 years, will a temp work permit last that long???
You can apply for PR after 6 months, but it takes a year or so to be processed. So figure about 2 years after arriving if all goes smoothly.

But yes, you can stay there on a TWP for that long (assuming you don't get made redundant or similar of course!).

HTH.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can apply for PR after 6 months, but it takes a year or so to be processed. So figure about 2 years after arriving if all goes smoothly.

But yes, you can stay there on a TWP for that long (assuming you don't get made redundant or similar of course!).

HTH.
Splendid, gathering more information every day, thanks for your help, love the dog!