British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   good wages good benefits for truckers with pr (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/good-wages-good-benefits-truckers-pr-772408/)

daz and jack Sep 22nd 2012 9:11 pm

good wages good benefits for truckers with pr

hi we have been in canada for nearly 6 yrs now and have finally found a company that pays good money. it`s a small company that is looking for reliable drivers only downside is you must be a resident and live in grande prairie alberta. You are away for 5 days and have 5 days off but you may work some of your days off if you wish this is oilpatch work but it`s year round. As long as you have a class 1 licence they will train you for fluid hauling. you may have to obtain your first aid and h2s but the other tickets they will supply.

Gazman Nov 19th 2012 8:53 pm

Re: good wages good benefits for truckers with pr

That sounds ideal for me, I'd love to actually do perhaps 15 days straight then 5 days off...would safety regulations allow that though???

flat to the mat Nov 20th 2012 1:50 am

Small hitch in that you aren't a resident , and do not live in Grand Prairie, otherwise the jobs yours. Anyhow thought you were looking for poorly paid work on the Eastern side ?

Gazman Nov 20th 2012 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by flat to the mat (Post 10391643)
Small hitch in that you aren't a resident , and do not live in Grand Prairie, otherwise the jobs yours. Anyhow thought you were looking for poorly paid work on the Eastern side ?

Yes I was originally looking at Eastern side for two main reason;
1;proximity to the coast.
2;shorter flights to UK than West coast.
However, I'm learning now that wages are poor on the East side. Strangely enough though when I was looking at moving to Canada about five years ago Alberta had become my favored destination. I'm sort of starting afresh now though and if there is good money to be earned then that would take precedent over living somewhere close to the coast.

meritor Nov 20th 2012 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Gazman (Post 10392659)
Yes I was originally looking at Eastern side for two main reason;
1;proximity to the coast.
2;shorter flights to UK than West coast.
However, I'm learning now that wages are poor on the East side. Strangely enough though when I was looking at moving to Canada about five years ago Alberta had become my favored destination. I'm sort of starting afresh now though and if there is good money to be earned then that would take precedent over living somewhere close to the coast.

if you are worried about the length of the flight to the west,stay where you are now!!!

Gazman Nov 20th 2012 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by meritor (Post 10392893)
if you are worried about the length of the flight to the west,stay where you are now!!!

Tell me more...how long is the flight from Manchester to Calgary or Vancouver for example?

meritor Nov 20th 2012 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Gazman (Post 10392930)
Tell me more...how long is the flight from Manchester to Calgary or Vancouver for example?

Manchester to Calgary is about 9 hours,if you can find one,Vancouver is about another hour,it seems to be cheap flights to Canada are a thing of the past.

Gazman Nov 21st 2012 1:07 am

Originally Posted by meritor (Post 10393302)
Manchester to Calgary is about 9 hours,if you can find one,Vancouver is about another hour,it seems to be cheap flights to Canada are a thing of the past.

Thanks for that...having thought about it that's really not too long at all if my visits back to UK were just occasional. At the moment my occasional visits back to UK form Ireland take that long too!, 3.5 hour drive to Dublin Port, 3.5 hour ferry journey, then 2 hours from Holyhead to visit further the folks...= 9 hours! That's if there is no delay on the A55:sneaky:
...hmm, Alberta is calling me again......

heydon1983 Nov 21st 2012 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Gazman (Post 10393434)
Thanks for that...having thought about it that's really not too long at all if my visits back to UK were just occasional. At the moment my occasional visits back to UK form Ireland take that long too!, 3.5 hour drive to Dublin Port, 3.5 hour ferry journey, then 2 hours from Holyhead to visit further the folks...= 9 hours! That's if there is no delay on the A55:sneaky:
...hmm, Alberta is calling me again......

and your looking at about 2-3 years to get permanent residency as well you need to find a company with an lmo and get a work visa that way

Gazman Nov 21st 2012 10:57 am

Originally Posted by heydon1983 (Post 10393623)
and your looking at about 2-3 years to get permanent residency as well you need to find a company with an lmo and get a work visa that way

Is it really that long for PR, 2-3- years???...Oh dear, I thought I'd read somewhere that some provinces would give PR to long haul drivers after completing six months employment. :unsure:
So if it's possibly going to be 2-3 years, will a temp work permit last that long???

christmasoompa Nov 21st 2012 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Gazman (Post 10394168)
Is it really that long for PR, 2-3- years???...Oh dear, I thought I'd read somewhere that some provinces would give PR to long haul drivers after completing six months employment. :unsure:
So if it's possibly going to be 2-3 years, will a temp work permit last that long???

You can apply for PR after 6 months, but it takes a year or so to be processed. So figure about 2 years after arriving if all goes smoothly.

But yes, you can stay there on a TWP for that long (assuming you don't get made redundant or similar of course!).

HTH.

Gazman Nov 21st 2012 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10394192)
You can apply for PR after 6 months, but it takes a year or so to be processed. So figure about 2 years after arriving if all goes smoothly.

But yes, you can stay there on a TWP for that long (assuming you don't get made redundant or similar of course!).

HTH.

Splendid, gathering more information every day, thanks for your help, love the dog!:D