Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

The complete Regs for Class 1 driving test

The complete Regs for Class 1 driving test

Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:49 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The complete Regs for Class 1 driving test

Originally Posted by Twink001
Hi,
Yep car licence would be an exchange.
Just finding one prob after another at mo !!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanx
It's not a problem twink.
If he can drive a truck, he should pass.
It's fair enough really. You can do a lot of damage with a 40 odd ton truck. You can understand them wanting to make sure people know what they're doing.
Besides which, you have to drive on the 'wrong' side
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:50 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
I admit i haven't checked lately but unless they have changed the rules in the last 2 years, you will have to take your car test as well.
Really? I didn't know that
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:50 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

How much does the HGV test cost??
Mine cost $8,080......lol i did do it at the end of a 3 month course though
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

Thats crazy !!!!!!!!!!
That converts to about £4000 GBP ????????????
For a licence !!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:57 pm
Whatacomplete Member

Are you serious? You just scared me, and I've already got my licence.

Twink, the company I went to (kindersley) gave me a weeks training and use of the truck for my test. I think it cost $500 which they take out of your wage in 2 payments after you start work. That was July last year though, so it could have changed. I had to pay for the written tests, air test and road test though, but it wasn't a lot, a couple of hundred dollars maybe.
You should ask the company he's going to and see what their arrangements are.
Good luck.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Thats crazy !!!!!!!!!!
That converts to about £4000 GBP ????????????
For a licence !!!!!!!!!!!!1
Hold ya horses Twinki, your Hubby allready has his HGV1, Andy started from scratch in Canada, thats why he paid so much Get your Hubby to read the info on getting his Can.class1 we've posted (Highway code stuff ect.) then when he arrives depending on the Province may have to re-do car licence aswell,with his employer's help find a good school and take a few lessons to pass.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by koogar

Are you serious? You just scared me, and I've already got my licence.

Twink, the company I went to (kindersley) gave me a weeks training and use of the truck for my test. I think it cost $500 which they take out of your wage in 2 payments after you start work. That was July last year though, so it could have changed. I had to pay for the written tests, air test and road test though, but it wasn't a lot, a couple of hundred dollars maybe.
You should ask the company he's going to and see what their arrangements are.
Good luck.
Hubby says he didnt realise the lorry`s in canada could fly !!! HA! HA! (air test).

Where is Kindersley?
Old Oct 26th 2007, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Hold ya horses Twinki, your Hubby allready has his HGV1, Andy started from scratch in Canada, thats why he paid so much Get your Hubby to read the info on getting his Can.class1 we've posted (Highway code stuff ect.) then when he arrives depending on the Province may have to re-do car licence aswell,with his employer's help find a good school and take a few lessons to pass.
So, you are telling me Hubby may have to do normal driving test aswell as HGV1????
So this will mean I have to re-take my driving test aswell???
?????????????????
Old Oct 26th 2007, 5:12 pm
Whatacomplete Member

Hubby says he didnt realise the lorry`s in canada could fly !!! HA! HA! (air test).

Where is Kindersley?
Tell him to try dropping off Coquihalla summit with no engine brakes, then tell me trucks can't fly. That was a scary day.
Kindersley are in Saskatoon, Regina, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Vancouver etc etc. I would imagine most big companies who recruit from the UK will have arrangements for training/testing new drivers.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

So, you are telling me Hubby may have to do normal driving test aswell as HGV1????
So this will mean I have to re-take my driving test aswell???
?????????????????
Each Province has their own rules and regs. concerning Class5 (car licence) in all Provs. you have to re.take Class1 (big trucky things) thats life
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Each Province has their own rules and regs. concerning Class5 (car licence) in all Provs. you have to re.take Class1 (big trucky things) thats life
Well, we have been told by an emigration lawyer that you have to take a written test and an air test for the HGV1 , and all i would need to do is an eye test for straight exchange.
I`m starting to have doubts about the whole thing, from what I have read on here and other threads we need at £100,000 to take out with us to cover everything from down payments on a house to leasing a car?
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:11 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

just to clear things up, i paid $8,080 for a 12 week course at the commercial safety college in masstown, nr truro. the test was part of the course and as graham said, i started from scratch here (i only drove 7.5t in the UK)
Knowing what i know now, i wouldn't have taken the course although at the time, and in my situation, it was worth it.
Anyone who has driven HGV's in the UK will have no trouble with the test here. In addition, if anyone wants to borrow my truck for some practice and/or the test, they are welcome.

koog, are there any/many crash boxes in the UK? i suspect not, how did you find them? i would imagine it's the hardest thing to learn here?
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, we have been told by an emigration lawyer that you have to take a written test and an air test for the HGV1 , and all i would need to do is an eye test for straight exchange.
I`m starting to have doubts about the whole thing, from what I have read on here and other threads we need at £100,000 to take out with us to cover everything from down payments on a house to leasing a car?
£100,000 wow !!!!
1. do you want to buy a house straight of,would it not be better to rent for maybe 6 months or so??
2 which Province's are you looking at ???
3. as we've said before each Prov. has its own regs regarding driving licences
4 are you "just" a couple or a family
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:18 pm
Whatacomplete Member

just to clear things up, i paid $8,080 for a 12 week course at the commercial safety college in masstown, nr truro. the test was part of the course and as graham said, i started from scratch here (i only drove 7.5t in the UK)
Knowing what i know now, i wouldn't have taken the course although at the time, and in my situation, it was worth it.
Anyone who has driven HGV's in the UK will have no trouble with the test here. In addition, if anyone wants to borrow my truck for some practice and/or the test, they are welcome.

koog, are there any/many crash boxes in the UK? i suspect not, how did you find them? i would imagine it's the hardest thing to learn here?
Hi Andy.
I worked for a travelling fair/carnival when I was younger and they had a lot of old trucks with crash boxes, so I didn't have any trouble. I would imagine it's a big issue for someone who never used a crash before though.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:20 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

Originally Posted by koogar
Hi Andy.
I worked for a travelling fair/carnival when I was younger and they had a lot of old trucks with crash boxes, so I didn't have any trouble. I would imagine it's a big issue for someone who never used a crash before though.
Thats what i thought, and why i offer my truck for a bit of practice. It certainly took me a while to "get it" and i don't care how much experience anyones got, if they have never used a crash box before, they won't find it a piece of cake

Last edited by andy_sheila; Oct 26th 2007 at 6:24 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.