Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

BT Welcome back!!! Now spill the beans.....

BT Welcome back!!! Now spill the beans.....

Old Dec 7th 2007, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future
Default Re: BT Welcome back!!! Now spill the beans.....

Originally Posted by nwtrucker
As far as working 15 hours a day goes, I'm on days (with one of the UK's largest hauliers)and it happens alot. I suggest that most truckers the world over are working very long hours, it's not something unique to Canada. Plus, If I was tramping abroad,I would want to be working as many hours as possible
Well now let me see:
Your 15 hour days,at least your are paid for your 15 hours in the UK you don't work 2 or 3 for free every day do you,not like driving OTR?
You haven't got it have you?
In Canada driving OTR you need to be racking up the miles not "working as many hours as possible"
What about Lyndon in his blog the other day stranded at the border through no fault of his own for 8 hours and how was he paid?
I think H+R paid him a $30 (£15) border crossing for 8 hours waiting about tearing his hair out!!!
What about how most OTR companies calculate your miles driven in any given run?
Running PC Milner computer miles instead of Hub (actual miles driven) your at best coming up 5% short maybe even 10%.
So if you do 10'000miles/month your driving 500/1000 miles for free,thats more or less one/two days driving FOR FREE!!!!!!

Think about this:
If you pulled into a truckstop for the night in the UK and then got into the bunk for your rest and you didn't get a brown penny in night-out money wouldn't you be pissed?
Well that is what will happen every time you jump into the bunk driving OTR,except wonderful team driving of course then your getting into a "warm" bed and trying to sleep in a truck doing 70mph!!!!!!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

meritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nice

h&r pay nothing for border crossings,so in 8 hours lyndon earnt exactly $00.00
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by meritor
h&r pay nothing for border crossings,so in 8 hours lyndon earnt exactly $00.00
My mistake entirely,
H+R pay $30 for meat inspections and pick-up's/drops and "diddly squat" for border crossings,so he did the usual "unpaid security guard" with his load for most of the day!!!!!
On the 27th Nov he sat on a dock for 7 hours unpaid too I bet,
Funny how the above is sort of "glossed over" in his blog!!!!

No matter how bad things are in the UK ref driving a truck for a living,would you be left sitting about all day with a load NOT getting paid?
Not on your nellie!!!!!
(even most O/D's would be paid demurrage after a couple of hours)

Last edited by Big Truck; Dec 8th 2007 at 7:43 am.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koogar
Hi Curt.
I can only speak for the company I worked for, don't know about everyone else.
I made 39c a mile in Canada and 41c a mile in the US. (47c a mile pulling turnpikes in Canada).
I'd run around 600 miles a day when I was out (eg. Saskatoon to SLC in 2 days). You can usually do 600 miles in 10-11 hours driving (we had a 100kph company speed limit). I'd run 600 miles, take 10 hours off, run 600 miles etc etc. I didn't care about running days or nights (I know some people do) so if 10 hours off meant I set off again at 3am, so be it. I didn't care... in fact, I quite liked driving at night.
I was there on my own (no family) so it didn't matter if/when I got 'home', but I would imagine that if you have a family at home, you'd want to max your daily hours anyway. If your trip is 3000 miles, you get the same money whether you do it in 5 days or 7 days. Why not max your hours for 5 days and get 2 days at home for the same wage as doing the trip in 7 days? That's what I did anyway.
You can make a good enough wage if you're willing to work and 600 miles in Canada/US is a lot easier (less tiring) than doing 400 miles in the UK. The obvious exception is running the mountains in winter. Run Calgary to Vancouver (around 600 miles) in the winter and you know you've done a days work.
Koogar,
I've never had a bad word to say about you (nor you about me) and I fully respect what you did,
moving from the UK to drive OTR as a single man for Kindersley.
Now that you are happily married and a family man would you when you get sorted on the visa side consider going back to driving OTR for a living when you know how long your away from homebase/loved ones to make a living wage?
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

meritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nice

Originally Posted by Big Truck
My mistake entirely,
H+R pay $30 for meat inspections and pick-up's/drops and "diddly squat" for border crossings,so he did the usual "unpaid security guard" with his load for most of the day!!!!!
On the 27th Nov he sat on a dock for 7 hours unpaid too I bet,
Funny how the above is sort of "glossed over" in his blog!!!!

No matter how bad things are in the UK ref driving a truck for a living,would you be left sitting about all day with a load NOT getting paid?
Not on your nellie!!!!!
(even most O/D's would be paid demurrage after a couple of hours)
hi big truck,the above quote you posted yes your quite right,but your only touching the tip of the iceberg here,there is a heck of a lot more FREE work done by drivers in north america by european standards that its.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Why don't you post this on the site were he can answer you back ??
Old Dec 8th 2007, 4:46 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Koogar,
I've never had a bad word to say about you (nor you about me) and I fully respect what you did,
moving from the UK to drive OTR as a single man for Kindersley.
Now that you are happily married and a family man would you when you get sorted on the visa side consider going back to driving OTR for a living when you know how long your away from homebase/loved ones to make a living wage?
No. I couldn't have done what I did with a family at home. Some people seem happy to do that, but that's up to them. A lot of these guys seem to be ex-forces and so are probably used to being away from their families. Not for me now I'm married though. I may go back to driving tower cranes, but that would mean travelling to Denver every day, probably.
The only reason I went back to truck driving was for the 'Canadian Adventure'. At the same time I was offered the Kindersley job, I was also offered a job driving tower cranes in Auckland, NZ, but I have already been to NZ twice and had never been to Canada. I thought I'd try something new.

Last edited by koogar; Dec 8th 2007 at 4:50 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koogar
No. I couldn't have done what I did with a family at home. Some people seem happy to do that, but that's up to them. A lot of these guys seem to be ex-forces and so are probably used to being away from their families. Not for me now I'm married though. I may go back to driving tower cranes, but that would mean travelling to Denver every day, probably.
The only reason I went back to truck driving was for the 'Canadian Adventure'. At the same time I was offered the Kindersley job, I was also offered a job driving tower cranes in Auckland, NZ, but I have already been to NZ twice and had never been to Canada. I thought I'd try something new.
Only one word covers a reply to that:
RESPECT.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Only one word covers a reply to that:
RESPECT.
Creep
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

mick gilbert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP US GREMMIE YOUR THE MAN TO KNOW

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Nuff said
Hi Gremmie ..Mick.. still here in the bloody UK..
The agent who is aiding us now tells us we need a visa from the usa london office..as I will have to cross CA 2 USA Borders being a Trucker.
And like all gov offices they arent quick..We have Emailed the london conso to see what visa we need ..Just to get this info seems a long process..
Which makes getting a work permit which will then enable us to get a mortgage an even longer process..It just seems we are going around in circles ..
Midland require this ..Do all companies need this as it now seems they have more info on me than my mother has..
We have sent copies of Driving history .passport .Referances. IN SIDE LEG MEASURMENT only joking and police check which wasnt perfect as I was a little tike in my younger days..Any advise would be gr8..even knowing what visa is required as the london conso help line havent a clue Cheers Mate MICK
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

mick gilbert is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
.....and tell us all what happened to you.

Were you imprisoned in a dark cell and your fingernails removed.

Have you been thinking of loads of questions while being imprisoned bet you had loads of time to think.

OR

Have you been rehabilitated and now seen the light in making a living by driving OTR

Hi Mate ..Been trying to sell our home to stupid people or time wasters for 6 months and counting ,we have decided to walk away as life is to short to worry about UK Mortgages.. All my paper work has gone over to Midland ,but as I was a little tike in my youth..my police check didnt stack up..
There no chance of removing it even though it was 25 yrs ago and I promise you all that you are save in your beds so I isnt that bad but im Tard and feathered for the rest of my life.So I now have to get a Visa ..but like all Gov depatments I can't get to know what class visa I need from the USA Consol.and they only tell you by Email which they still havent ..Getting dis heartened now ..Does anyone know what class visa it is pls..Mick Ipswich UK
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP US GREMMIE YOUR THE MAN TO KNOW

Originally Posted by mick gilbert
Hi Gremmie ..Mick.. still here in the bloody UK..
The agent who is aiding us now tells us we need a visa from the usa london office..as I will have to cross CA 2 USA Borders being a Trucker.
And like all gov offices they arent quick..We have Emailed the london conso to see what visa we need ..Just to get this info seems a long process..
Which makes getting a work permit which will then enable us to get a mortgage an even longer process..It just seems we are going around in circles ..
Midland require this ..Do all companies need this as it now seems they have more info on me than my mother has..
We have sent copies of Driving history .passport .Referances. IN SIDE LEG MEASURMENT only joking and police check which wasnt perfect as I was a little tike in my younger days..Any advise would be gr8..even knowing what visa is required as the london conso help line havent a clue Cheers Mate MICK
I and most others dont have a visa,but an ID94 that u get at the border from the US homeland guys. Lasts 3months then u get a new one
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Oh Know It's All Going Pete Tong LOL.

Hey welcome home you old Irish Fella you.
I personally don't give a flying Fooooook what you say about Canada or how you say it. You have the right to do what you feel is best and of your opinion but as long as you know it to be the truth your conscience is clear.
I have not read all the threads here as it's just to much for me and will no doubt lose what Tic Tac brain i now have left. I'm still here anyway but sometimes find it hard to get a moment to write stuff as we are so busy doing stuff out and about, and it's good too.
LOAFY...