British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Is your accent a problem here? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/your-accent-problem-here-637215/)

bugman Nov 8th 2009 11:57 pm

Re: Is your accent a problem here?

on pronunciation.

the word migraine (ie the headache) I (brit) use the pronunciation my-grain. we were watching a UK drama and the pronunciation was mee-graine, my wife said ' thats what you used to call it'.

now assuming thats true i honestly thought that i had always said my-grain, the scary thing is that i didnt even realise the transition and mee-grain sounds more unnatural to me now than does my-grain!

saying that, i dont get migraines and i very rarely use the word, my wife does so she mentions the word quite a lot so i suppose ive just picked up on that in the last decade since weve been together.

i still say tum-ah-tow not tom-ate-ah (tomato) phew.

tamms_1965 Nov 9th 2009 12:30 am

[QUOTE=bugman;8083851]on pronunciation.

the word migraine (ie the headache) I (brit) use the pronunciation my-grain. we were watching a UK drama and the pronunciation was mee-graine, my wife said ' thats what you used to call it'.

now assuming thats true i honestly thought that i had always said my-grain, the scary thing is that i didnt even realise the transition and mee-grain sounds more unnatural to me now than does my-grain!

saying that, i dont get migraines and i very rarely use the word, my wife does so she mentions the word quite a lot so i suppose ive just picked up on that in the last decade since weve been together.

i still say tum-ah-tow not tom-ate-ah (tomato) phew.[/QUOTE]

Hubs said it "tomato" American style last night!

snowbunny Nov 19th 2009 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Toontje (Post 8053389)
And then there's the fact that we just murder the "proper" pronunciation. We give it such a twist that words might sound completely different, even though it's basically the same word as in dutch.

Which is why I only learned to read and understand Dutch when I stopped trying to have you teach me!

I don't have a regional dialect or accent, but as you know my father does. This is in part because I've been outnumbered by non-native English speakers my entire life - what accent do I pick?!

penguinbar Nov 19th 2009 7:17 pm

Update. The CEO of my husbands company who is quite a bit above his mangers boss who said he would not get ahead because of his accent met my husband at a company department luncheon last week. He really got on well with him and called my husbands manager to tell him he would like to offer him a promotion! He will be working for a new department branch just a 10 minute walk from our apartment! It's a small raise but a better position and they said he can grow from there as well. So for anyone who has been through the same situation on here think positive! :thumbsup:

merz Nov 19th 2009 9:27 pm

I only found out last year that the Spinal Tap actors are American.

Turn it up to 11!

Merz

Poppy girl Nov 20th 2009 2:10 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 8111947)
Which is why I only learned to read and understand Dutch when I stopped trying to have you teach me!

I don't have a regional dialect or accent, but as you know my father does. This is in part because I've been outnumbered by non-native English speakers my entire life - what accent do I pick?!

The guy I am dating is Dutch he was born here in the US but his parents are full blooded Dutch and he has a accent and pronounces his words really strange lol.

snowbunny Nov 20th 2009 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 8112835)
The guy I am dating is Dutch he was born here in the US but his parents are full blooded Dutch and he has a accent and pronounces his words really strange lol.

Is he stubborn and tight with his money? ;-)

Where was he born in the US? Most Dutch speakers have a slight accent in English, but not really "strange" - unless they have learned most of their English by reading and writing. His parents' dialect may play a part - what province are they from?

Poppy girl Nov 20th 2009 2:25 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 8112861)
Is he stubborn and tight with his money? ;-)

Where was he born in the US? Most Dutch speakers have a slight accent in English, but not really "strange" - unless they have learned most of their English by reading and writing. His parents' dialect may play a part - what province are they from?

He was born in CA, and he still speaks dutch with his family, his mother only speaks to him in dutch :)

No idea about the province will ask him.

And No :lol: he is not tight and stubborn compleatly the opposite :thumbsup:

snowbunny Nov 20th 2009 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 8112876)
He was born in CA, and he still speaks dutch with his family, his mother only speaks to him in dutch :)

No idea about the province will ask him.

And No :lol: he is not tight and stubborn compleatly the opposite :thumbsup:

Oh, the slang I could teach you - find out that province!

meauxna Nov 20th 2009 4:25 am

Originally Posted by penguinbar (Post 8112127)
Update. The CEO of my husbands company who is quite a bit above his mangers boss who said he would not get ahead because of his accent met my husband at a company department luncheon last week. He really got on well with him and called my husbands manager to tell him he would like to offer him a promotion! He will be working for a new department branch just a 10 minute walk from our apartment! It's a small raise but a better position and they said he can grow from there as well. So for anyone who has been through the same situation on here think positive! :thumbsup:

Bam! What a victory, penguin!!!

That is a kickass story! rock on, Mr penguinbar! :thumbsup:

cindyabs Nov 20th 2009 5:23 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8113149)
Bam! What a victory, penguin!!!

That is a kickass story! rock on, Mr penguinbar! :thumbsup:

In these times it is indeed an excellent thing!!

Brit3964 Nov 20th 2009 5:38 am

I say alOO-min-um only these days. Alumin-ium just doesn't sound right anymore!

Sally Redux Nov 20th 2009 5:44 am

Names can be tricky. My neighbour was talking about someone called 'Windy' and I was thinking, 'who's she on about?' for a while until I realized it was Wendy. Also her son is called 'Erk' not Er-ic as I say it. Another neighbour is called 'Shan' which I was thinking of as Sian but I think it's actually Shawn.

penguinbar Nov 20th 2009 6:25 am

Thanks! It really boosted his confidence. It will also save us about $80 a month in subway fare!

kimilseung Nov 20th 2009 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8113317)
Names can be tricky. My neighbour was talking about someone called 'Windy' and I was thinking, 'who's she on about?' for a while until I realized it was Wendy. Also her son is called 'Erk' not Er-ic as I say it. Another neighbour is called 'Shan' which I was thinking of as Sian but I think it's actually Shawn.

If Shaun or Shawn is the dumbed down spelling of Sean.
What is the dumbed down spelling of Sian