British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Is your accent a problem here? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/your-accent-problem-here-637215/)

cindyabs Nov 6th 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Is your accent a problem here?

Prickly heat-they have lotion for that.

SagenOnion Nov 6th 2009 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 8077987)
We were doing ok until you said my birthday tomorrow takes me one year nearer to the end so I won't need to worry....
It's true of course but it won't go down well with you when you are my age -so go easy on the oldies with that stuff eh ?
My son is 40 on January 3 and sometimes he will say something about 'well at least I will live longer than you'. It's funny when you are 40 then it gradually gets less funny when it starts to get very real - I mean real - and you are wondering what happens to your dependants......
Of itself it was nothing, but I was still prickly from being personally trashed in the afternoon so no big deal. No problema. I was prickly so I took it worse than you meant it.

Let's have fun dude !

We were doing OK until you decided to get all defensive again. Personally I don't give a shit about the threads you get attacked in because I don't read them and don't find them entertaining, believe it or not :sneaky:

Happy B' day to your son in January and I sincerely hope that he is right...he should definitely live longer than you do. No parent should ever have to bury their child. *shiver*

Don't get prickly...its not funny and it makes you look like an idiot which, clearly, you are not.

meauxna Nov 7th 2009 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8077907)
How about...

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 8077908)
:rofl: Oh thats so my expression, got told off today in another forum for using it :o

Not told off!!! And actually, I have that piccie & it's one of my faves. Just something about the acronym that gets me. :lol:
Rational? Says who!

Steerpike Nov 7th 2009 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 8076522)

Having said that, I reckon you are spot on and make an excellent point - if I went to live in Spain I would learn Spanish and try and pronounce it as close to them as poss.

Just coz the Americans speak a form of English doesn't mean we should speak as we would in Glasgow or Newcastle. Its a different country - so why not treat it as a foreign language and try and 'do it'

have to agree with you on this one ... I try my best to pronounce my French as close to the locals as possible when in France - all part of the fun of going there - so why would you not do the same in the US? Also, when in Italy, I would ask for a ticket to 'Firenze', not 'Florence', and in Spain, ask for a ticket to 'Sevilla' not 'Seville' - because I know that's what 'they' call it and I know it will expedite my passage ... so why not say 'skedule' (not shhedule) when talking about planning a task, and why not ask for 'wadder' (not 'waughter') when asking for a drink?

However, I think it comes naturally to some, and not to others. I suspect those who can't easily adapt to the US pronunciation also struggle with foreign languages ... not sure about that one but certainly a theory worth considering! I know that for me, if I hear someone say a word a certain way 10 times, that's the way my mouth starts to speak it, without me even trying! I do think some folks hang onto their 'UK' accent, though, fearing they will lose their identity or because of some crazy notion that their accent is 'better' ...

Steerpike Nov 7th 2009 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by celticgrid (Post 8076531)
Accent and pronunciation are two totally different things.

Read this and other posts in the thread on the topic ... got me thinking ... so what 'is' the difference? Can you elaborate? Give some examples?

If I say, 'hello chaps, how are you tonight?' that is an English 'expression' I might use in a UK pub; 'hey guys, how's it going?' is a US expression that I might use in a US bar. But that goes beyond 'accent' and 'pronunciation', that gets into vocabulary and phraseology.

So focusing only on common words/expressions, what 'is' the difference between accent and pronunciation? To me, an 'accent' is a name given to a large collection of 'pronunciation styles'; that is - if you say 'wadder' (not 'waughter') and 'skedule' (not 'shhedule') and (... so on and so on), then you are said to have an American Accent ... etc. Obviously, it's more complex that that but is that not the case?

In my case, I would say I have 'toned down' or 'softened' my UK pronunciation of most words to the point where my 'accent' would be described as 'mid-atlantic'. I am clearly not a native US speaker, but I also do not sound like a UK resident any longer. I would say my pronunciation is "mixed" and as a result, my accent is is no longer easily classified.

In summary, I would conclude that 'accent' is a higher level term used to describe the result of individual word-pronunciation styles. Most people would also take into account expressions/phraseology before assigning an 'accent' to someone, but that does seem technically incorrect.

chartreuse Nov 7th 2009 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 8080688)
However, I think it comes naturally to some, and not to others. I suspect those who can't easily adapt to the US pronunciation also struggle with foreign languages ... not sure about that one but certainly a theory worth considering!

I'm not sure about that one, either. I've got a feeling that I've seen reports of various studies, over the years, along the lines that things that are very different (eg foreign languages) are easier to get a handle on than things that are only slightly different (eg US English vs the type of English you grew up with).

It may be like forgers. If they're trying to copy somebody's signature, they'll turn it so it's upside down. That way, it's not writing, just shapes and they just draw what they see. Whereas, if they had it right way up, the brain recognises familiar characters and the way that they usually write those characters starts to interfere.

Just another theory. :)

Sally Redux Nov 8th 2009 4:45 am

When I was learning German, they warned us that it comes to a point that you get good enough that you make a decision to embrace the language and feel yourself to be/ become seen as a German. This can be quite a hurdle, and although I like the country I felt some resistance to this step. One's accent has a psychological value. I think that is what happens to expats in the US. I could actually perfectly easily switch over to a local accent, and maybe I would if I totally loved and admired that culture and wanted to be mistaken for a native.

cindyabs Nov 8th 2009 7:08 am

I admire the folks who can switch back and forth between one accent and another and sound perfectly convincing. There may be more Brits who've switched to Yank, then the other way around currently, but's it's pretty coolio.

Sally Redux Nov 8th 2009 7:24 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 8081826)
I admire the folks who can switch back and forth between one accent and another and sound perfectly convincing. There may be more Brits who've switched to Yank, then the other way around currently, but's it's pretty coolio.

Hugh Laurie? I never think he sounds very American, but apparently he does.

cindyabs Nov 8th 2009 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8081863)
Hugh Laurie? I never think he sounds very American, but apparently he does.

More American than Brit, I think, does he sound Canadian maybe?

Also the guy in Band of Brothers-Damian Lewi, could've fooled me. Oh yes, and shoe on the other foot, back in the day when I watched Buffy :o, James Marsters seemed to be pretty authentic as a Brit. He said he was inspired by Anthony Head, who I thought was pretty hot stuff in those coffee commercials. :tounge_smile:

sime303 Nov 8th 2009 8:50 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 8081893)
More American than Brit, I think, does he sound Canadian maybe?

Also the guy in Band of Brothers-Damian Lewi, could've fooled me. Oh yes, and shoe on the other foot, back in the day when I watched Buffy :o, James Marsters seemed to be pretty authentic as a Brit. He said he was inspired by Anthony Head, who I thought was pretty hot stuff in those coffee commercials. :tounge_smile:

You won't believe how many of the actors in Band of Brothers are British.

penguinbar Nov 8th 2009 9:10 am

Lots of actors on TV shows lately are British but are palying Americans for some reason.

tamms_1965 Nov 8th 2009 9:38 am

Originally Posted by penguinbar (Post 8082080)
Lots of actors on TV shows lately are British but are palying Americans for some reason.

Group discount on salaries?

Bob Nov 8th 2009 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by sime303 (Post 8082035)
You won't believe how many of the actors in Band of Brothers are British.

the beeb pumped $20M into it so there better had been a few...shame most were the germans or played the corpses :D

sime303 Nov 8th 2009 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8082530)
the beeb pumped $20M into it so there better had been a few...shame most were the germans or played the corpses :D

LOL funny. No most of the American soldiers are Brits.