Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Are you happy to stay where you are when you reach retirement?

Are you happy to stay where you are when you reach retirement?

Old Apr 26th 2016, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you happy to stay where you are when you reach retirement?

I've done a fair amount of research on where we might retire, and my wife and I have talked long and hard about it. (We're both in our high 70s.) Every once in a while we pull out the papers containing our research and check the figures. So far, we haven't moved from our home island, but we keep a close eye on the local cost of living. If inflation catches hold, we're mentally ready to sell out and move to South East Asia or Latin America or the northern Mediterranean. Everybody should have a "bolt hole" in mind.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

There are literally hundreds of online advisories about retirement, including the fear of living in foreign-language countries. This one is from a letter i supscribe to. (The writer lives in Cayman, as it happens; but I haven't met him.)
There Might Be Dragons (the Fear of Internationalization) | International Man
Old Apr 26th 2016, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
We're planning a series of mini-retirements. So far we've got:

- RV traveling
- a year in a tiny city center apartment somewhere, pretending to be sophisticated urbanites
- a rural episode, including building a rally car for hubby and chickens/ vegetables for me
- a winter somewhere with a mad amount of snow where we actually get snowed in (but don't care because we don't have to be anywhere)

By the time we've done those and any others that occur to us, the kids should be through college and possibly settled, and then we can see if they'd like/ need us anywhere nearby.
You could do most of that in Ohio. Areas on Lake Erie get about 70 inches of snow a year. Cincinnati along the Ohio would be a good city for downtown living. I have heard its downtown area has been revitalized with lots of apts and condos.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Frinton-on-sea

I used to like Frinton. It was quite posh years ago, not sure if it still is

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I would recommend a look at Tennesee. Low cost of living, no state income tax. Weather is very good with mild winters. Cost of housing is low with low property tax and home owners insurance. I am presently building a very nice 1200 sq foot retirement house on a lake view lot with expected property tax of $650 per year and home owners insurance for less than $500 per year. Great scenery with the eastern part similar to North Carolina which would also be a good choice especially if being near ocean is important. Unsure of North Carolina income or property tax.
So pretty much the same as living in rural Texas then!
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You want a single payer system. I was glad to get away from "such nonsense".

Giving the government the capability to determine what healthcare services people can use is outrageous, as is giving the government the capability to squander $millions on unnecessary procedures and prescriptions or on ineffective computer systems, etc.
What do you think are the advantages of having insurance companies as middlemen in the US healthcare system?
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre
What do you think are the advantages of having insurance companies as middlemen in the US healthcare system?
It's better than having the government determine the availability of healthcare services. Neither is great, but have services restricted based on the whim of the government is worse. We don't stop people spending their money on Ferraris or world cruises, and if someone is wiling to pay for an operation that the government won't fund then I see no reason why the government shoud be in the business of allowing "acceptable waiting lists".

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 26th 2016 at 1:36 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

It's better than having the government determine the availability of healthcare services. Neither is great, but have services restricted based on the whim of the government is worse.
... which is exactly what Medicare does.

We don't stop people spending their money on Ferraris or world cruises, and if someone is wiling to pay for an operation that the government won't fund then I see no reason why the government shoukld be in the business of allowing "acceptable waiting lists".
You have the option of "going privately" in the UK too.

Anyway, to me the big difference is that - VA aside - services are not provided by the government, but by private providers. The UK has an aversion to the latter, which means the NHS is a monolithic and inefficient supplier.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
... which is exactly what Medicare does. ....
Right, but we've discussed that previously too. I don't know enough about how Medicare "ticks" but I am far enough away to not care too much at the moment.
.... Anyway, to me the big difference is that - VA aside - services are not provided by the government, but by private providers. The UK has an aversion to the latter, which means the NHS is a monolithic and inefficient supplier.
A very good point. .... Except that doctors in the UK are pretty much private contractors to the NHS, (the NHS owns most, but not all, of the infrastructure) and who seem to be able to flex their hours between NHS time and private time more or less at whim. Or so it seems.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Right, but we've discussed that previously too. I don't know enough about how Medicare "ticks" but I am far enough away to not care too much at the moment.
Well, this is a thread specifically about... retirement.

A very good point. .... Except that doctors in the UK are pretty much private contractors to the NHS, (the NHS owns most, but not all, of the infrastructure) and who seem to be able to flex their hours between NHS time and private time more or less at whim. Or so it seems.
They're all government employees afaik.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Well, this is a thread specifically about... retirement. ....
And not about healthcare!

Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And not about healthcare!

Healthcare in retirement seems germaine...

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 26th 2016 at 1:57 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:55 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they do, and it's a big opportunity for fraud and poor service delivery for NHS patients.

Many doctors do a couple of days a week in the NHS for the pension and other benefits. They throw around their weight to have specific vendors' goods in the Trust, and benefit from greatly reduced/free goods from the same vendors for their own private practices.

One Trust I worked in was building a new wing for a private for-profit practice that would be part-owned by some of the doctors in the Trust. It was intended that the doctors would split their time between the private wing and the rest of the Trust... but where do you think the doctors are prioritising their time? Where the dough-ray-me is.

I worked with a few wonderful, caring doctors primarily motivated by providing the highest standards of care for patients in the NHS.
Many were nothing more than obnoxious prima donnas, drunk on power and obsessed with their status desperate to get back to Harley Street and away from the general riff-raff.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I used to like Frinton. It was quite posh years ago, not sure if it still is

I haven't been there for years, it just came to mind when you mentioned the F places. As I recall it was largely a retirement type community.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I haven't been there for years, it just came to mind when you mentioned the F places. As I recall it was largely a retirement type community.
It was a very exclusive retirement community. Very posh and proper which is strange when you think Walton and Clacton are so close and oh so typical seaside tacky!
Old Apr 26th 2016, 3:11 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
It was a very exclusive retirement community. Very posh and proper which is strange when you think Walton and Clacton are so close and oh so typical seaside tacky!
Yes, not the sort of places I would fit into. On thing which really annoys me are Capt Mainwaring types.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.