Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Are you happy to stay where you are when you reach retirement?

Are you happy to stay where you are when you reach retirement?

Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you happy to stay where you are when you reach retirement?

I'm hoping that by the time I retire, the USA will catch up with the rest of the civilized world with a single-payer system.

I've got about ten years.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre
I'm hoping that by the time I retire, the USA will catch up with the rest of the civilized world with a single-payer system. ....
I came here hoping to get away from such nonsense, but I have longer to go than you for the politicians to foul things up.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Yep. I have no idea how people cope.
Some people use death with dignity in my State as an opt out.

My wife aunt just ran out of money so she got diagnosed terminally ill with old age.

That may be a consideration on where I end up. I may want the option.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I came here hoping to get away from such nonsense, but I have longer to go than you for the politicians to foul things up.
What nonsense?
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

What nonsense?
When I only quoted one sentence, how hard is to work out what I am talking about?
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:21 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Medical expenses with Medicare should be somewhat manageable. Retirement advisors seem to want folks to budget $6,000 per person for out of pocket medical expenses (OK that was four or five years ago, when we first talked to them) and that seems about right, whether you go for low premium/ high deductible options or higher premium options. So it shouldn't be a bottomless abyss of potential bills.
I think that is still a reasonable estimate, especially if you can take the generic version of any drugs you need. Mrs L is diabetic and takes what to me is quite a collection of medication and she is well below $6K. I take blood pressure and cholesterol medication and my tablets cost me $200 a year, and that because I prefer the $11.99 a month blood pressure medication to the $4 a month one.

With medicare, supplemental including dental and co-pays etc I pay $3k a year. I expect that to raise as I get older and of course a major illness would increase the cost a lot. As you say it isn't a bottomless pit, or the deterrent to retirement in the US some think it is.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:29 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That is a genuine first. People will emigrate for many reasons: a beautiful woman, their dream job, inability to adapt to the fact that seasons exist and weather is dynamic, proximity to a bloke dressed up as vermin in red shorts, but there's Pulaski with '**** the NHS ..."

Never change.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That is a genuine first. People will emigrate for many reasons: a beautiful woman, their dream job, inability to adapt to the fact that seasons exist and weather is dynamic, proximity to a bloke dressed up as vermin in red shorts, but there's Pulaski with '**** the NHS ..."

Never change.
That wasn't the only reason, nor even a significant one.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

When I only quoted one sentence, how hard is to work out what I am talking about?
I prefer to be sure what somebody is actually saying before crafting a reply. You could have been saying either my post was nonsense or that you agree with me that the lack of single-payer is nonsense.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:37 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That wasn't the only reason, nor even a significant one.
I know, but it gave me a laugh to think of you doing it that way. We all know the real reason you moved here is that gardens in the UK are nowhere near big enough for you to store all your hardscape material
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I know, but it gave me a laugh to think of you doing it that way. We all know the real reason you moved here is that gardens in the UK are nowhere near big enough for you to store all your hardscape material. ....
Nor was there enough material to justify owning a chainsaw. .... A lack of Mustangs was a significant ancillary factor.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:46 am
I have a comma problem

Nor was there enough material to justify owning a chainsaw. .... A lack of Mustangs was a significant ancillary factor.
That's true. I never knew anyone who had a chainsaw or a Mustang back home.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping that by the time I retire, the USA will catch up with the rest of the civilized world with a single-payer system.

I've got about ten years.
Medicare is largely, but not completely, a single-payer system.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

We're planning a series of mini-retirements. So far we've got:

- RV traveling
- a year in a tiny city center apartment somewhere, pretending to be sophisticated urbanites
- a rural episode, including building a rally car for hubby and chickens/ vegetables for me
- a winter somewhere with a mad amount of snow where we actually get snowed in (but don't care because we don't have to be anywhere)

By the time we've done those and any others that occur to us, the kids should be through college and possibly settled, and then we can see if they'd like/ need us anywhere nearby.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:56 am

I prefer to be sure what somebody is actually saying before crafting a reply. You could have been saying either my post was nonsense or that you agree with me that the lack of single-payer is nonsense.
You want a single payer system. I was glad to get away from "such nonsense".

Giving the government the capability to determine what healthcare services people can use is outrageous, as is giving the government the capability to squander $millions on unnecessary procedures and prescriptions or on ineffective computer systems, etc.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 26th 2016 at 8:20 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.