Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

you can take the girl out of .......

you can take the girl out of .......

Old Feb 8th 2015, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: you can take the girl out of .......

I love handbags too and my husband doesn't get it. The dust bags are a must, a bit snobby I know but that signifies quality for the most part. Handbags last forever....

I am pair shaped. Before I left England I stocked up on trousers from Marks and Spencer's and Next, at the time I could not go wrong with those 2 stores so I am surprised that has changed. I would even order online without trying and they would fit. I have had them for over 7 year and they are only just starting to need replacing. Just in time since I head home this year.

Here in the US I have kept myself going with Marshals and TJ max for tops and I buy stretch jeans mostly from there. I avoid shirts, I hate ironing. Victoria secrets cotton knickers are a pretty good M&S substitute.

I HATE shopping for jeans it's usually a 3 - 6 month process that's why I love handbags, none of that messing about.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

I made it to the Eddie Bauer outlet at last yesterday. No bargains, but I did manage to find some curvy boot cut jeans in short length that were good enough to do for now.

I'm also a handbag fan - much easier!!

PS Also liked the fact that shopping at EB made me think of Jack Bauer *swoon*

Last edited by Lucybell33; Feb 8th 2015 at 5:28 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
Has everyone seen this before?

What Size Am I?

Not much help for us short arses (I'm 5'1" with an hourglass figure) but might help in terms of fit etc.
Yeah I'm 5'2" with hourglass. Just tried that site and it came up with size 10 in Next. What's funny is I have a Next safari style jacket size 10 that I know I bought in 1996 and I can't do it up at the chest. Sizes definitely got larger. There never used to be any UK size 6's once upon a time and certainly no U.S. 0 size. I have kept some UK clothes from when I moved here sixteen years ago. The size tens don't fit.

Womens clothing manufacturers should be honest and have chest, waist and hip sizes. Inches or centimeters, I don't care, It would make everything much simpler.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
Yeah I'm 5'2" with hourglass. Just tried that site and it came up with size 10 in Next. What's funny is I have a Next safari style jacket size 10 that I know I bought in 1996 and I can't do it up at the chest. Sizes definitely got larger. There never used to be any UK size 6's once upon a time and certainly no U.S. 0 size. I have kept some UK clothes from when I moved here sixteen years ago. The size tens don't fit.

Womens clothing manufacturers should be honest and have chest, waist and hip sizes. Inches or centimeters, I don't care, It would make everything much simpler.
Even if the manufacturers used inches or centimeters, they would still get it wrong, because one's inch would be the other's centimeter.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 1:22 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Thank goodness there's someone else on BE who loves handbags...and yes all my handbags are kept in their own bag. I love shoes and clothes too.
Cough *Weeze* cough. I'm not sure how many bags she has, but it's over 30 easily. Mind you, I still buy her the Radley picture bags pretty regularly, so I am contributing to the problem.

I must admit, I haven't bought a pair of formal shoes over here yet. I stick with Oliver Sweeney who do free shipping anyway. Once I find a brand I like I'm not changing if I can at all control it. Same with suits (Paul Smith), although I can get those on Gilt when they are on special. I am as bad, if not worse, thank Weeze...
Old Feb 24th 2015, 8:39 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Found the perfect jeans...
Gap Resolution straight leg. They are mid-rise so cover tummy and bottom properly!! They're a great cut and make your legs look longer. I've got a pair in dark navy and black already and I'm eyeing up the white ones for summer although they've got "tears" in the white ones to make them trendy and I'm not so keen on that but heyho, if Isabelle french thingy can wear them, why not me....
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Gap Resolution straight leg. They are mid-rise so cover tummy and bottom properly!! They're a great cut and make your legs look longer. I've got a pair in dark navy and black already and I'm eyeing up the white ones for summer although they've got "tears" in the white ones to make them trendy and I'm not so keen on that but heyho, if Isabelle french thingy can wear them, why not me....
That's great! I think jeans are the hardest clothing item to shop for, so it's great when you find a pair that's a good fit. It's a shame that the white ones have the "tears". My daughters wear those - but at my age (I'm 61) no way!! I think it will be a while before I look for summer clothes. Here in Ohio it is sooooooooooooooo cold and snowy. Summer is a long way off!!
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
That's great. Perfect jeans are essential. Gap and Banana Republic I believe are owned by the same parent company and they do try to accommodate all shapes

Edited to add, if you really love them, buy three more pairs now. You never know when they'll be discontinued. I so wish I'd done that with a lot of things.

Last edited by Mrs Danvers; Feb 25th 2015 at 1:44 am.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:51 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
That's great. Perfect jeans are essential. Gap and Banana Republic I believe are owned by the same parent company and they do try to accommodate all shapes

Edited to add, if you really love them, buy three more pairs now. You never know when they'll be discontinued. I so wish I'd done that with a lot of things.
Well, I'm tempted but I'm hoping that in a month or 2 I'll need a smaller size! Maybe I should get them in the next size down? That would be an incentive wouldn't it?
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

It would!