British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Are you a better driver than the average Yank? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/you-better-driver-than-average-yank-610687/)

scrubbedexpat097 May 22nd 2009 3:12 pm

Re: Are you a better driver than the average Yank?

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy (Post 7595719)
Yeah that's one I failed one.

me too.......well one of the many I failed:o

elfman May 22nd 2009 3:14 pm

85%

neil May 22nd 2009 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 7595623)
The poorness of yank driving cannot be measured using a theory test. The failure comes from the learning process where they fail to instill in them the two most important characteristics of a good driver: observation skills and the mantra that you should do nothing to inconvenience other road users..

Totally agree (I got 95% by the way ABY).

ChocolateBabz May 22nd 2009 3:23 pm

75% but living in Houston I don't need to drive correctly just survive.....

Tarkak9 May 22nd 2009 3:48 pm

Why isn't there an Everyday Driver test?? Tough questions like -

1. You are driving along a single lane road and a driver is following you too close (tailgating); you should

A. Reduce your speed and switch on your indicator.... by raising your middle finger above shoulder height pretending to adjust your rear view mirror.
B. Resort to the 2nd Amendment; roll down your window, waving your gun as an invitation to the driver to overtake you with an introductory "Hey Mofo..."
C. Allow for the opportunity for the driver behind you to be courteous by providing a new car to you by slamming on your brakes.

emailrob May 22nd 2009 4:09 pm

85%. That's fine ;)

another bloody yank May 22nd 2009 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by emailrob (Post 7595890)
85%. That's fine ;)

Yes it is. Some of those questions were tricky...

cathy22w May 22nd 2009 4:14 pm

The poorness of yank driving cannot be measured using a theory test. The failure comes from the learning process where they fail to instill in them the two most important characteristics of a good driver: observation skills and the mantra that you should do nothing to inconvenience other road users..

Pretty funny - the inconveniencing part. Goodness...can't tell you how many times I have been 'inconvenienced' by thoughtless drivers over here. I truly think British drivers are far more considerate generally.

N1cky May 22nd 2009 4:20 pm

75%

Got the one about indicator distance wrong, but at least I do indicate.

I find it amazing how many people in LA drive very lowely base model cars like BMW's Merc's Infiniti's. At least I presume they must be very basic as they don't appear to have an indicator stick.:sneaky:

chartreuse May 22nd 2009 4:24 pm

100%, but I just sat my TX written test on Monday, so all of the stuff is still reasonably fresh in my mind.

The bit that worries me is the actual driving. It's over 20 years since I last drove a car and the idea of hurtling around in partial control of a big metal box on wheels seems like madness to my older, more risk averse self.:eek:

Leslie May 22nd 2009 4:25 pm

No.

SpoogleDrummer May 22nd 2009 4:26 pm

I got 90%, missed out because I didn't stop for the pedestrian or signaled 100 ft away from where I turned. Lucky if anyone around here signals. Though to be fair I am a crap driver.

Dogbyte May 22nd 2009 5:03 pm

So in other words you failed.. LOL
Oh and would you believe 100%, one was a guess, however !

sime303 May 22nd 2009 5:10 pm

90% here

Keith May 22nd 2009 5:27 pm

I got 95%
I got the Diamond sign wrong.