Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

WTF in America Part 2

WTF in America Part 2

Old Dec 21st 2023, 7:47 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America Part 2

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I thought about sticking this in the Funny Pictures thread, but I was flying on American Airlines, so I'll post it here. I was flying from CLT to LHR, but I have no idea what the mapping software was doing to come up with this gem. Spot the bizarre error!
Porcupine? Was there another volcanic eruption creating a spiky island?
Old Dec 21st 2023, 7:53 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I thought about sticking this in the Funny Pictures thread, but I was flying on American Airlines, so I'll post it here. I was flying from CLT to LHR, but I have no idea what the mapping software was doing to come up with this gem. Spot the bizarre error!
Bering Sea looks like it floated on an ice berg to Scotland. Although the Porcupine Bank seems to be in the right place, I have no idea why they thought it important to include on this map.
Old Dec 21st 2023, 8:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Bering Sea looks like it floated on an ice berg to Scotland. Although the Porcupine Bank seems to be in the right place, I have no idea why they thought it important to include on this map.
There were many submarine features marked on the map at different points during the flight, various seamounts, ridges, banks, and plains. I would guess close to 20 were marked from New England seamount, to Porcupine Plain, South of Porcupine Bank
Originally Posted by RICH
Porcupine? Was there another volcanic eruption creating a spiky island?
Sorry, I can't tell you anything about Porcupine Bank without Googling it, other than to say that it is entirely submerged, but I don't know by how much.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 21st 2023 at 8:43 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2023, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

There were many submarine features marked on the map at different points during the flight, various seamounts, ridges, banks, and plains. I would guess close to 20 were marked from New England seamount, to Porcupine Plain, South of Porcupine Bank

Sorry, I can't tell you anything about Porcupine Bank without Googling it, other than to say that it is entirely submerged, but I don't know by how much.
This does illustrate one of my main disappointments with 'digital maps' - as you zoom in/out, or even just move around sometimes, different levels of information appear and disappear and the appearance/disappearance is not related to the 'significance' (population, importance, etc) of the location. Sometimes, a major town or city label will be 'hidden' while a minor suburb or town will appear. You need to zoom in /out sometimes to see the major locations. This is fine when you already know the area, but when you are looking at an unfamiliar location, you may well be missing out on a key piece of info.
It doesn't happen that often so I don't have a real example at hand of when it's really mattered to me, but here's an example of the problem:

Here's a view of California:

Note that we have San Diego and Los Angeles shown. But as I zoom out, the Los Angeles label is removed in favor of the San Diego label:

I had to rotate the map to cause this to happen; it seems to be that if one 'location label' would be obscured by another, they suppress the 'second' label (viewing from left to right). So in this case, 'San Diego' would have overlaid the 'Los Angeles' label, so they suppressed the 'Los Angeles' label. Now, Los Angeles has a population of circa 4 Million, while San Diego has a population of only 1 Million, so Los Angeles should have taken precedence over San Diego.
Old Jan 30th 2024, 5:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Eek
New Hampshire woman survives being compacted in garbage truck
Old Jan 31st 2024, 6:52 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Live free, or die!
Old Jan 31st 2024, 11:44 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Man kills his father and cuts off his head, because he was a government employee. (The father was.)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...deo-rcna136509
In the YouTube video, Mohn is seen wearing gloves holding his father's head in a plastic bag. Later the head can be seen in a cooking pot.

Mohn says his father was a federal employee for 20 years and refers to him as a traitor, calling for the death of all federal officials, attacking President Joe Biden's administration, the Black Lives Matter movement, the LGBTQ community and Antifa activists.
Old Jan 31st 2024, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Gives a whole new meaning to Great circle route!
Old Apr 3rd 2024, 6:20 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.firstalert4.com/2024/04/...-him-discount/
Old Apr 3rd 2024, 6:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Lord, what a f***ing idiot. Even worse, a violent f***ing idiot with a gun.
Old Apr 3rd 2024, 9:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea
https://www.firstalert4.com/2024/04/02/im-trying-to-give-you-better-deal-....
People should look out for drivers of grey Honda sedans, they may be crazy and should not be trusted!
Old Apr 4th 2024, 7:14 am
Heading for Poppyland

The victim said,

I don’t know why people are so angry out here at 9 o’clock in the morning
He’s right, it IS early in the day to threaten to shoot a fast-food employee.