Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

WTF in America Part 2

WTF in America Part 2

Old Sep 15th 2023, 12:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America Part 2

The first film I saw at the cinema was Bridge on the River Kwai, so it must have been 1957. I remember being blown away by the colour & the sound quality, since I assume the only video images I’d seen up to that point was our television, which was a very different experience. I was also totally overawed by the plush red carpet, grand staircase, and all the related magnificence of our local Odeon. The building is still there, but now it is a supermarket .. useful, but not quite the same ..
Old Sep 15th 2023, 12:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
It's an absolute masterpiece! Could very well have been my first ever movie also, but I have no way of figuring that out now.
Originally Posted by BEVS
My first ever film was Sleeping Beauty.
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Mine too.

I was taken with my older sister.

We both came down with measles the next day.
It was that apple. You shouldn't have eaten it.
I know it was my first because I lived in Keynsham where we had The Charlton cinema but Snow White was on at The Ritz in Brislington. We were at one or the other most Saturdays but mostly at the local one rather than the bus journey. I just know it was the "far" one I went to the first time.

2nd cinema visit was First Spaceship on Venus which I later discovered was East German/Polish made.
That was at The Charlton.

Funny how we used to just go regardless of the time. It was always a double bill. We'd arrive after the movie started, see the second one and then stay for the first one until "this is where we came in"
Old Sep 15th 2023, 12:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

2nd cinema visit was First Spaceship on Venus which I later discovered was East German/Polish made.
That was at The Charlton.
I just watched the trailer for that. It looks pretty good. Odd, how the actual title of the film is completely different from the English-language title.

The political agenda of the film is clear - the “best scientists in the world” don’t include people from USA or Western Europe..
Old Sep 15th 2023, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the 'What are you watching' thread!
Old Sep 15th 2023, 8:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Welcome to the 'What are you watching' thread!
"Watching Television and Films in America, Part 2" ?
Old Sep 16th 2023, 1:10 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Watching Television and Films in America, Part 2" ?
Quite. I can't remember the LAST film I saw at the cinema, let alone the first!
Old Sep 16th 2023, 11:52 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by RICH
That’s a good point. It’s been several years since I went to the cinema, and I have no recollection of where it was or what I saw.
Old Sep 16th 2023, 4:12 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
That’s a good point. It’s been several years since I went to the cinema, and I have no recollection of where it was or what I saw.
Funnily, I heard /read something yesterday. There is a woman here in US called Barbara (Barbie) Oppenheimer, who has recently had 15 mins of fame for some reason!
Old Sep 16th 2023, 5:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the new Mission Impossible film a couple of weeks ago, snagging it before it left cinemas. I saw Oppenheimer a couple of weeks before that.

I believe that the first film I saw at a cinema was a rerun of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which my mother took me to see. That is certainly the first time I remember being taken to a cinema.
Old Sep 16th 2023, 5:29 pm
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I saw the new Mission Impossible film a couple of weeks ago, snagging it before it left cinemas. I saw Oppenheimer a couple of weeks before that.

I believe that the first film I saw at a cinema was a rerun of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which my mother took me to see. That is certainly the first time I remember being taken to a cinema.
I remember a couple of times with my Granddad, we saw The Spy Who Loved Me, and the original Gone In 60 Seconds on different occasions.
I remember for my birthday one year my Mum took me and a couple of friends to the Bristol Mecca to see Tommy at my request. (1975 so my 9th bday?) We were too young, so I think we went ice skating instead
Before that, we used to have a Saturday film show at the local community centre I recall Westerns/ Lone Ranger, and maybe Flash Gordon!
The last time in a cinema was maybe the first Daniel Craig Bond, or a Mission Impossible. Really can't remember.
Old Sep 16th 2023, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a couple of times with my Granddad, we saw The Spy Who Loved Me, and the original Gone In 60 Seconds on different occasions.
I remember for my birthday one year my Mum took me and a couple of friends to the Bristol Mecca to see Tommy at my request. (1975 so my 9th bday?) We were too young, so I think we went ice skating instead
Before that, we used to have a Saturday film show at the local community centre I recall Westerns/ Lone Ranger, and maybe Flash Gordon!
The last time in a cinema was maybe the first Daniel Craig Bond, or a Mission Impossible. Really can't remember.
The first movie I remember seeing at the cinema was Swiss Family Robinson probably when I was 6 years old in 1961. The last one was James Bond's Spectre (2015).

Most of the ones we are interested in are streaming in not much time after being released.
Old Sep 16th 2023, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
My first ever film was Sleeping Beauty. My Mum got me out of bed to take me.......ssshhh.... not to wake my sleeping baby sister. It was dark and we went on the bus . I now realise the distance was probably only a mile but it was chilly.

I was 4 yrs old and it was magical fairy tale enchantment to me. I saw sparkles from wands in every mote of sunshine dust after that.

Thank you Mum.
That was mine too! Obviously it was a rerun, I must have been 3 or 4 but I remember it vividly. I was totally enchanted by it.
Funny really because I loathe Disney stuff now .
Old Sep 18th 2023, 11:23 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

How do you lose an F35?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66841194
Old Sep 18th 2023, 11:39 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Easy. Land it somewhere and go shopping for 3 hours.
Old Sep 18th 2023, 11:58 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Easy. Land it somewhere and go shopping for 3 hours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.