WTF in America

Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
As I was the only one with a car (hence why I was skint and couldn't afford to go myself), I actually dropped him off for the concert, and as he closed the door, I can vividly remember thinking "that may be the last time I ever see him alive" The only things that didn't come back were his umbrella and his hearing.
It must have been so good a concert that he went unnoticed ...

Although I read somewhere that UK uni kids aren't as hard partiers as they used to be - certainly seems to have been the case for my nephews/nieces who are all in their 20's/30's now.
They probably can't bloody afford it. £3.50+ a pint, in bloody Belfast ... ? Even a pint of Fosters in 'Spoons was £2.70

When I was at uni, the going rate in most non-poncy pubs was £1.85.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:09 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It must have been so good a concert that he went unnoticed ...

They probably can't bloody afford it. £3.50+ a pint, in bloody Belfast ... ? Even a pint of Fosters in 'Spoons was £2.70

When I was at uni, the going rate in most non-poncy pubs was £1.85.
We were about 50p in a regular pub outside the Union....
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

We were about 50p in a regular pub outside the Union....
I remember pound-a-pint days in my union, that was the best they did. I don't think I was ever in a situation where I paid less than a pound for a pint, sadly.

I still can't get over the fact that it was £3.20 for a pint of Harp in my old local. That just seemed wrong to me.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:20 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I THINK we used to pay about 60p for a flagon of Strongbow / Autumn Gold / Woodpecker.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:21 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I remember pound-a-pint days in my union, that was the best they did. I don't think I was ever in a situation where I paid less than a pound for a pint, sadly.
I think I have a few years on you.....

I can remember massive culture shock when I graduated and my first job was in London with London prices in the pubs.............
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
I THINK we used to pay about 60p for a flagon of Strongbow / Autumn Gold / Woodpecker.
A flagon? a flagon? Who were you drinking with - Long John Silver and his band of baudy bucanneers....?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really remember but 60p sounds about right for pints when I was a student.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:24 pm
I have a comma problem

I think I have a few years on you.....

I can remember massive culture shock when I graduated and my first job was in London with London prices in the pubs.............
I was at uni from 1997-2001, for reference. Around then, a £1.65 pint was easy enough to find. Plus, 20 B&H were less than £3.00.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I was at uni from 1997-2001, for reference. Around then, a £1.65 pint was easy enough to find. Plus, 20 B&H were less than £3.00.
5 years? I thought you packed it in early?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:28 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

A flagon? a flagon? Who were you drinking with - Long John Silver and his band of baudy bucanneers....?
Used to be the standard (glass) bottle size back then. None of this poncey pints or Millidrips or whatever it is now.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:28 pm

You're seeing the effect of a couple of decades of inflation then........
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:30 pm

Used to be the standard (glass) bottle size back then. None of this poncey pints or Millidrips or whatever it is now.
So you'd belly up to the bar and order a flagon? I've seriously never heard anyone do that outside of the movies......!
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:31 pm

So you'd belly up to the bar and order a flagon? I've seriously never heard anyone do that outside of the movies......!
Pints in the bar... Flagon was the take away bottle size from the offie... I think it was 2 pints.

The bar was a risky proposition (we were about 12 years old).
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:31 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
5 years? I thought you packed it in early?
Two courses; two years each. 1997-1999 was the Physics/astronomy course, my first choice. Made it to second year and scored really badly in my exams due to a not entirely unrelated alcohol problem.

I moved over to a Chemistry course in 1999, because modules I'd already done in my first year of the physics course also counted towards straight chemistry so I did one module in 1999, then moved on to second year in 2000-01 but I started to run out of money. I probably could have passed that year and moved on to my final year but being broke was ****ing depressing, so I dropped out and moved on to the silly service instead.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:32 pm
I have a comma problem

You're seeing the effect of a couple of decades of inflation then........
It makes me sad. Ironically, it makes me want a drink

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.