WTF in America

Old Sep 18th 2021, 6:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Steerpike
They can do that?!? That's quite amazing. They are under no obligation to restore the vehicle to the condition in which they found it, having not found anything?! I have been pulled over by those guys just once. They are 'serious'. They don't smile and they are holding serious weapons. I guess you don't argue with them.

Did they insist you get the car off their property even though they broke it? I would have thought 'fixing' the car (putting the seats back in, etc) would have been cheaper than towing it!
I don't know if they still can but 20 years ago they certainly could or could do it and get away with it, I complained and was basically told well nothing we can do.

it may have been longer than 20 years, might have been in 1998/1999 even, I was pretty young still, and I still had a blue 1990 something chevy and I bought my white Cavalier new in 1999, so it had to have been before March 1999 but after April 1997.

Was before my grandfather died in 1999, so had to have been 1998, so I guess closer to 23 years ago.

Now I feel older doing all that thinking in detail, holy its been that long since the late 90's, where did the time go.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 7:53 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK the Customs people have rights that police would kill for, they can enter ANY property WITHOUT a search warrant, and yes, if they take anything out of your car they have no obligation to put it back, just look at the customs/border programmes on TV, they take everything out of a suitcase which has been perfectly packed, go through it, and then leave it for the traveller to repack.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
In the UK the Customs people have rights that police would kill for, they can enter ANY property WITHOUT a search warrant, and yes, if they take anything out of your car they have no obligation to put it back, just look at the customs/border programmes on TV, they take everything out of a suitcase which has been perfectly packed, go through it, and then leave it for the traveller to repack.
Putting luggage back in a suitcase or even repacking the results of a cross-channel beer run are in a completely different league from reinstalling dash panels or car seats.
UK customs weren't quite as thorough back in the 90's - they couldn't manage to find me on a coach when I was smuggled cross-channel and through Dover, coming into the UK, back in 1990, long story but satisfy yourselves that there was zero nefarious activity involved...
Old Sep 18th 2021, 12:28 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Putting luggage back in a suitcase or even repacking the results of a cross-channel beer run are in a completely different league from reinstalling dash panels or car seats.
UK customs weren't quite as thorough back in the 90's - they couldn't manage to find me on a coach when I was smuggled cross-channel and through Dover, coming into the UK, back in 1990, long story but satisfy yourselves that there was zero nefarious activity involved...
I slept through customs coming back from a Plentywood, Mt pub crawl back in the '70s. Apparently Lloyd the Newfie said "I wouldn't wake him up if I was you." I was passed out on top of the beer and we didn't have to pay duty.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 1:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
They can do that?!? That's quite amazing. They are under no obligation to restore the vehicle to the condition in which they found it, having not found anything?!
It doesn't sound dissimilar to being picked up by police, taken to another part of the country on suspicion or whatever and then released with no charges or anything pending, miles away from home.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It doesn't sound dissimilar to being picked up by police, taken to another part of the country on suspicion or whatever and then released with no charges or anything pending, miles away from home.
Or even hospital in some cases. When I lived in Ontario, I was taken to a hospital 50km away under a mental health hold, it was winter, I was taken by ambulance in my pajamas with no jacket, no wallet no phone, had nobody in Ontario I knew who could give me a ride, and they tried to just release me, I put up a fight over that, and after some wrangling by a social worker, the hospital covered the cab ride home.

Like wtf was I supposed to do in winter, in pj's with nothing, just freeze to death walking 50km home?

Makes me wonder those who live in parts of eastern edges of BC who are sent to Alberta generally for hospital stays due to being closer, how they get home if they don't have funds or family to help.

With regular police in the US if they want you to come in and talk, always refuse as is per your constitutional right, if they have the evidence make the police arrest you, and then only say 2 things to them 1) I am invoking my constitutional rights under the 5th amendment to remain silent and 2) I want a lawyer.

From that point on if police can no longer continue and must cease the interrogation.

If they have the evidence to make the arrest, nothing you say will help you, but it will certainly harm you.

Regular police in the US cannot compel you to talk to them, some states may in certain circumstances require you to identify yourself such as when driving a car for example, but if police start a fishing exercise start invoking your right to remain silent, the cop will quickly lose interest normally if no crime has been committed or they lack any probably cause.

As the pot brothers who are lawyers say "Shut the FCK UP!"

Police often like to use the whole asking for a lawyer makes you look guilty, so just talk to us so we can help, but I guess most criminals fall for it based on all the crime shows where suspects are just chatting away incriminating themselves word after word.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 18th 2021 at 6:23 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

The Gabby Petito case is getting pretty WTF with its twists and turns.

Add in a double murder in the same area she and her fiancée were in, just a really weird case.

I hope for her family police and the FBI can gather enough together to at least have an idea of what may have occurred.

Old Sep 18th 2021, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The Gabby Petito case is getting pretty WTF with its twists and turns.

Add in a double murder in the same area she and her fiancée were in, just a really weird case.

I hope for her family police and the FBI can gather enough together to at least have an idea of what may have occurred.
Puts a twist on the definition of a Road Movie, doesn't it?
I think I'd read she was doing an Instagram Video Blog....wonder what's become of the footage...but more to the point.....
What's become of her ???
And now, of him ¿¿¿
Old Sep 18th 2021, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MMcD
Puts a twist on the definition of a Road Movie, doesn't it?
I think I'd read she was doing an Instagram Video Blog....wonder what's become of the footage...but more to the point.....
What's become of her ???
And now, of him ¿¿¿
Certainly does.

Looks like she was attempting to be a social media star, I think her IG was removed, but before it was there wasn't a super ton there, and her youtube only had 1 channel, where any footage is, well one of the many mysteries unanswered still, but there is a lot of places to dump a memory card never to be found again.

Old Sep 19th 2021, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Certainly does.

Looks like she was attempting to be a social media star, I think her IG was removed, but before it was there wasn't a super ton there, and her youtube only had 1 channel, where any footage is, well one of the many mysteries unanswered still, but there is a lot of places to dump a memory card never to be found again.
Maybe she and the Laundry (can't bother to look up actual spelling of his name) Lover are actually in on this "plot" scenario together.
Screenplay material for a who-did-what-whodunit-what-did-each-do?
That would be the best outcome.
Otherwise, I fear the worst
Old Sep 19th 2021, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sadly...my little hopeful fantasy (above post) was just that - a fantasy

the reality is the poor young woman has been found

DEAD
Old Sep 19th 2021, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Sadly...my little hopeful fantasy (above post) was just that - a fantasy

the reality is the poor young woman has been found

DEAD
RIP.

This person found the van in their video, and at 0.32, is that someone digging in the field?

I hope the gators get part of the boyfriend before Police arrest what's still breathing, so he goes to trial.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

South Carolina has, meanwhile, been following it's own, far more intricate, WTF.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58577936
Old Sep 20th 2021, 12:05 am
Account Closed

Has the boyfriend been found yet?

Once the medical examiner determines cause of death (hopefully) the FBI should have more to go on along with any evidence at the scene.

I do think people are too harshly blaming the local police in Florida on this, they tried to clear the air a bit about why they just didn't haul him in and arrest him.

They have no authority to execute possible federal search warrants and any crime would have taken place nowhere near Florida.

Federal investigators have still not established whether a crime even took place.

No evidence that any crime has taken place in the Florida city regarding this case.

As for not making him talk, police in the US do not have that power, police cannot compel one to speak, the right to remain silent means just that.

It was probably him who killed her, there is still a small chance it could have been an accident or suicide and he freaked out, but it is probably a murder, and hopefully they can find the evidence they need.

The van being there pretty much rules out the same killer of the 2 women also killing her unless the boyfriend also killed them, but that seems probably not likely.

Good thing the case made national news even though some are having internet hissy fits over the coverage, otherwise the people with this video may never have connected the dots.

Old Sep 20th 2021, 12:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by zzrmark
South Carolina has, meanwhile, been following it's own, far more intricate, WTF.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58577936
That one is just wild too, not to mention his wife and son being murdered earlier in the year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.