WTF in America

Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:27 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by jmood
:-))))
I knew you were something!!
Oh, I'm certainly something. We just haven't worked out what that something is yet ...
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Oh, I'm certainly something. We just haven't worked out what that something is yet ...
We as in you and I, or as in you and your wife or as inthe Royal we? :-P
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:32 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
We as in you and I, or as in you and your wife or as inthe Royal we? :-P
The royal we. I'm being deliberately vague.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

The royal we. I'm being deliberately vague.
That's OK. So you have an identity crisis
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 18th 2014, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

The first 3 secs were disgusting
Old Mar 18th 2014, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

When Post #238 first appeared some weeks ago - I debated with myself whether to respond.
Decided to grit my teeth and ignore.

Today I saw Post #358 - a reply to and reaffirmation of the former.
I shall quote/repost neither here - as I find them both so offensive and don't want to have them actually re-appear.

Since I participate in this forum - but more to the point - since I've contributed to this thread - my conscience (after seeing the 2nd of the above cited posts) no longer allows me to continue to "bite my tongue".
Doing so would be tantamount to condoning what, for me, are ugly racial stereotypes and would thereby - give tacit support and implicit approval to views which I find repulsive and deeply prejudicial.

Therefore, I will say it's my opinion that the content of the aforementioned posts is ill-informed; they propagate views which serve to enforce racial stereotypes - views which we've been painfully striving to overcome for centuries.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MMcD
When Post #238 first appeared some weeks ago - I debated with myself whether to respond.

I shall quote/repost neither here - as I find them both so offensive and don't want to have them actually re-appear.

Since I participate in this forum - but more to the point - since I've contributed to this thread - my conscience (after seeing the 2nd of the above cited posts) no longer allows me to continue to "bite my tongue".
Doing so would be tantamount to condoning what, for me, are ugly racial stereotypes and would thereby - give tacit support and implicit approval to views which I find repulsive and deeply prejudicial.

Therefore, I will say it's my opinion that the content of the aforementioned posts is ill-informed; they propagate views which serve to enforce racial stereotypes - views which we've been painfully striving to overcome for centuries.
I'm sorry that you were offended. It was not my intention. But I truly believe you misunderstand at least my post. My comments about smell apply to anyone who doesn't wash their head often. And yes, I mentioned certain people with certain hairstyles, but I come across at least one and usually more, every day that I am out and about in NYC. Maybe you don't live in such a crowded city and travel on public transport. I do, and this is what I experience on a daily basis. I also said I am super sensitive to smells. For example if someone sits next to me on the subway with perfume (yes, just perfume or cologne for men) I change seats if I can. 2 days ago I rode a cab, it was about 1oC or maybe 0oC outside, but I rode the entire ride with the windows open because it smelt of food. Initially I (dared) ask the driver whether he had food in his car. He said no (and was surprising polite about it, given this is a NYC cabbie). I believe it was his clothes that he'd picked up some food smell from wherever he was before.

So what I'm trying to say is that, maybe you've never noticed it. But I have and I can swear on it (though that probably means nothing to you) - that many women whose hair has small tight kinky curls and who get it chemically treated and/or heat treated and styled do not wash their hair daily, or every other day or even every third day (I would venture to say 4th or 5th etc, but then you might have a bit of reason to kick me). I am also pretty sure that there is market research data on this somewhere done by one of the big hair-care companies, but it would be proprietary. Meanwhile, without going into details, let me tell you that I was (and still am knowledge-wise) in my former life an expert on hair. And I don't mean a hairdresser kind.

Sorry again that you are offended. But some facts are just facts. And I recounted them without passing judgement on anyone. Absolutely no prejudice here.

Smell is an objectively measurable and quantifiable thing. It consist of certain chemicals.

Judgement on the other hand is/was this: I said in prior post that I find natural afro styles to be very pretty/appealing. Personal opinion and a judgement.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 7:46 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Good 'ol Sid.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I apologize for causing offence, however I was most careful to not make any negative connotations or inferences in my brief reportage. I made a summary of the circumstances, and noted the efforts and expenses that are incurred. I find it notable and curious, in the same way that find other human behaviours intriguing.

It is regrettable that we have become so sensitive as a society about causing "offence" to others that we can no longer report dispassionately or even, apparently mention, behaviours of others lest we cause "offence".

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 18th 2014 at 8:40 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:27 pm
I have a comma problem

How is it a stereotype if that's what some people actually do to their hair?

Post #238 was very matter-of-fact and in no way crossed any lines. Post #358 was a bit more evocative, I guess but all they really said was 'people who don't wash their hair have smelly heads.'
Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:50 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:50 pm
I have a comma problem

*like*

Old Mar 19th 2014, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Outdoor malls which have Frank Sinatra blaring out of bushes
Old Mar 19th 2014, 12:21 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Outdoor malls which have Frank Sinatra blaring out of bushes
That sounds a but surreal ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.